2A Discussion Thread

Does anyone use Yomega brain lube on their Raiders? Any tips on cleaning and/or application? Anyone know how it compares to YYJ thick lube?

I don’t use Yomega Brain Lube. Due to limited resources, I have to make use of my YYJ thin lube and YYF thick performance oil. They’re all pretty similar anyway; Patrick Mitchell even told me himself. Most recently, I’ve been lubing my yoyos this way - putting a lot of thick lube on one side of the bearing and thin lube on the other. Sleeps pretty well while still keeping consistent response.

And a friend, not a yoyoer at all, called me asking if I want his Raiders/Fireballs. I’ll pick it up sometime this week. I believe they’re not even opened and still mint in box. I’ll see how that goes because I wanna try modding.

anyone do good at anything on their first try?

no.

Ok im not really a looper but i can do consistent inside loops with my dominant and half consistent with my non dominant hand but when i try to do them together its either a knot or a FAIL…

i got 808s they are pretty good actually. Got them each for like $8 … not sure if that was a good deal but any tips on left handed loops?

I know the answer is to just practice … which I am trying :smiley:

I play 2A :slight_smile: just started but I am falling in love with the style, won’t be my main style, but its something special.

I did, I do 2A when I get a knot in the gaps of my 1A or 4A throws so I wasn’t like “woah, I’m special”

Practice your dominant hand first. Master all the looping tricks on your right hand. Your left hand will follow suit because your brain will just mirror what you’ve learned on your right hand. The left hand will still need lots of practice but it’ll be a lot better.

Not sure if I’m making sense…I should be studying but I’m sleepy…

I use brain lube, like about a drop in one side of the bearing. Just wipe the bearing with tissue and reapply the lube, I don’t think cleaning with mineral spirits is necessary. However, it’s probably a good thing to do once in a while.

I thought like you, I said,“righty you go first, lefty, sorry bud I’m holding ya back” than after 1 hour I had finally mastered all the one hand looping, so I said,“screw it, lefty join the party” and if you check my BST that’s why the Unleashed has a mark on it.

Mastered all looping tricks? What do you mean? Can you do each looping trick consistently? There’s a difference between being able to do the trick and being able to do it smoothly - and 2A is all about consistency and smoothness.

Speaking of which, how about transition to different looping tricks on just your right hand? Let’s say…inside loops to around the world to punching bag or something like that :] Don’t get too complacent with 2A :3

I know you’re not being too comfortable with the style but still…

Yo. It’s been a while. School and work have occupied my time the past few months so I haven’t had any time yoyoing and lurking in the forums. So, how’s everyone’s progessing on their 2A? I got myself another pair of Shaqler Loop900s [plus ShaqlerStar] during the YYF Pro Pack promotion in case my current loopers break.

I know I’ve hyped about getting a Macaron and Hornet, now released in retail, a few months ago but I’ve heard a few things that it isn’t as good as Raiders/Loop1080/Unleashed - especially when it’s coming from a former world champion, I tend to take their word from it. So I might not be buying those anytime soon. I still want to buy those two in the near future, but I’d rather save up my money and wait for the Loop1080 to release.

After playing with the 900s for months, I picked up my Raiders again and I almost forgot how amazing it felt.

Anyway, hi.

Just got a pair of Loop 360’s. I’m psyched!

Sweet! Keep that spirit up! :smiley: It’s about time 2A gets a rebirth. We need more people that compete so it’s not just Joseph Harris, Patrick Mitchell, and Yoshi Mikamoto taking all 3 spots.

Anyway, I know the Hornet uses a replaceable bearing system similar to the Raider EX…but I wonder if you can use the Raider plastic spacers and do the usual Raider mod on the Hornet to tailor one’s preferences.

I have 2 Duncan bumblebees that I got for $3 each and I can sort of do it consistently. Been a while since ive tried though. I bought them at a cool little store in Columbus Ohio. I forget what it’s called though. It also had some proyos and maybe some other cheap ones not sure though.

Im going to get loop 360s to start looping.
Any tips on what I should do?

Yes:

Get some thick lube, as you want the yoyos to stay responsive.
I also like Slick6 in my bearing loopers. You can use something else if you wish though.

Practice your basic throw with one hand, then the other, then both.

Work your inside loops one hand at a time, then the other. Repeat with other tricks such as outside loops, hop the fence, whatever.

Try doing both hands.

Alternate hands, such as 2 inside loops on one hand and then two on the other.

Get whatever you do to around 15-20.

Learn to manage your string tension because it’s SUPER important. Know what tricks tighten and what tricks loosen. You can alternate inside and outside loops to maintain it, or some inside loops and then same number of hop the fence.

Whatever you do, be patient! 2A is a hard style to really become proficient with. While the Loop 360’s and Loop 808’s are too light for my preferences, the price is right to start with.

Lastly, if you can, get some help. It really helps to have someone who is good at looping help you get started. You want to get started right.

patience is really tough for me.

Then I hope for your sake, you really take to this quickly. I’m still having problems with looping but I know all the effort will pay off in time. I’ve been working at it off and on for over 18 months. My progress is especially slow. So be it. I will get it. Eventually!

I just became proficient with my right hand on looping time to work with left. I’m saving to buy a pair soon.