2A Discussion Thread

I think I need to find a thinner and perhaps tighter string to do 2A. Using a new string with that bit of bounce in it drives me nuts. Can’t feel the yoyo hit the end of the string as much, and I use that in part for some of my timing. ::slight_smile:

Also, just kind hit me, wouldn’t the RecRev Reverbs actually have a different weight distribution since the innards are hollowed out? I mean, I haven’t seen a capless looping yoyo, so I’m not entirely sure on this either…

P.S. What type of pads are RecRev Silicone Response?

^Stretch your string before play, also your setting might be too tight so the loops is going more “round” instead of oval.

I know I’m going to get lots of mixed reactions to this, but when you learned 2A, did you learn with one hand and then the other before doing two handed loops or did you learn loops with both hands at the same time?

I feel like I’m not progressing well enough so I’ve decided to focus on just one hand [dominant, right] on looping so I can master and be consistent with every single kind of looping trick.

I don’t know…I think that once I know how good loops feel on my dominant hand, I can just do the same with my non-dominant hand and I’ll know the feel.

I have talked to Seth Peterson (team yoyofactory) and he said the best way to learn is to master each hand individually then start with two handed loops.

Thanks! Never would have thought my gap width might be effecting my loop. Downloading a game is keeping me from doing much on the computer, so I’ll give that a shot. :wink:

And that’s a good tip Dev. ;D

What does everyone think of no jives or maybe TMBRs for 2A?

also how do you guys practice? i do one inside loop with my right hand, catch, do an inside loop with my left hand, repeat.

Yup.

Then two one side, two the other.

Repeat with say, outside loops. Hop the fence…

you said it! im starting to think your about the same skill level as me… do you have a vid of you throwing?

http://www.yoyoing.com/shawn/guides/sweetsour.cgi

So I’ve been reading this for the past hour and I STILL DON’T GET IT. I don’t know if it’s my limited English comprehension skills but I just don’t understand what he means…It’s confusing, I should say.

But I need to read this so looping will come a lot easier… O:

Sorry, no videos. I don’t really plan to do any videos ever. It’s not something I’m into.

I got my tips from Joseph Harris. I took some lessons from him a few weeks ago for 2A. It got me over a few hurdles. Plus, I used the opportunity to get some tips to get started for 2-handed play.

This week, my hop the fence came together. At the same time, my work on inside loops also came together. I’m going to switch gears a bit and add more practice time for 2A to include more time on outside loops.

What kind of tips did Joseph tell you, Chris? I would like to take those for outside loops and hop the fences. When I saw him a few months ago at DXL, I was only concerned about inside loops that I forgot to ask him pointers for fences and out loops.

Gonna buy 2 loop 808s at the contest I’m going to in 2 weeks. I tried looping lefty today with a Yomega brain and turns out I’m pretty good.

I’M TRYING BUT IT’S SOOOOO HARD!!!

the yoyo will just flutter and be all “blah” all the time. it stinks.

Oh just trying making it go up and down you will get used to it

Those were the tips.

You need to learn the rhythm and the feel. Since you’re not throwing as hard as you do with 1A, you have to emphasize more on feel and rhythm. Doing 2 gets you a bit more time before switching hands.

so i was looping with my right hand and though “OK, i’ll try left-hand” and you know what?? I’m 10x better at looping with my non dominant hand!??! WHAT??

You aren’t unlearning new muscle memory stuff. Your non-dominant hand is a “fresh canvas” awaiting training.

That’s why.

With your dominant hand, you’ve already learned 1A and some other stuff. 2A is very different. You’re not unlearning old habits, you’re just trying to learn new technique and control.

Aww, man. I like progressing very fast on looping once I begin focusing on mastering loops on my dominant hand instead of doing both hand at the same time. I’m in the process of getting my outside loops consistent and so far so good.

I’ve been practicing with both my modded Raiders and Loop900s to get a different feel and so I can adapt to different loopers pretty well. :]

I’m trying to get some 900s…

1 Like