2A Discussion Thread

Just wanted to raise my hand and say yes I play 2A and I’d like to see more 2A threads! When you get consistent with 2 handed inside loops (finally), you will feel like superhero. It’s more satisfying than anything you can learn in 1A in my opinion :wink:

1 Like

Haha yea so true!

I mostly do 0a.

I have allways been trying to learn loops on my yoyos and I just got two speed beetles for 2A and I hope to be good enough to compete by PNWR 2013.

I have tried looping and hop the fence and shoot the moon on my duncan mosquito, butterfly xt, and light up free hand zero just because I have never owned any 2A yoyos, hehe, and have actually gotten to the point that I could do consistant loops with the light up FHZ (witch is 70 grams). When I got my speed bettles today at just a bit over 45 grams it was like throwing air.

I can throw with both hands thanks to 5A but 2A is just insanely hard but even more gratifying once you just get those loops with both hands witch I can only do one rep of.

That is like my exact skill level right now. Exactly the same.

Most difficult thing I’ve found is the amount of consistency required to do looping well. When to flick, and things like that. I’m nearing about 4 on outside, inside, and hop the fence with both hands.

I’m kinda glad I didn’t get any of the loopers with response pads. :stuck_out_tongue: I’d be going through a lot.

Shinji, Yukihiro Suzuki [R.I.P.] and the 2A players back from the yoyo boom and THP days inspired me to do 2A. I’m not the best in 1A and I just can’t keep up with the guys who’ve been doing their thing for so many years, so I’ve been focusing on 2A to get myself out there. And I prefer flashy, visual appealing styles more than tech that looks boring to me.

Speaking of loopers, I just received a pair of modded Raider EXs from jrodriguez after winning the auction on eBay. Hands down the best loopers I have now and there’s no looking back. I want more Raiders/Fireballs now.

I’ve seen a lot about modded yoyos for looping. What is done to them exactly?

Modding looping yoyos are usually done to adjust the gap to the player’s settings. Think of it as the Loop900’s key adjustable gap. If done correctly, it plays a lot better than it is stock.
If done incorrectly, you may risk breaking the yoyo.

But Fireballs/Raiders are arguably still the best loopers around. Especially when modded.

I’m still throwing YYJ Unleashed which have been serving me quite well, been looking at RecRev Reverbs. I’ll just have to get more yoyos! :wink: What are your guys’ preference with string length? I cut mine half past the top of my pocket usually.

The Unleashed is an amazing yoyo. I just don’t like how the adjustable gap isn’t really adjustable since it’s easy to get unscrewed/screwed tightly so I had to fix my throw and string length to make it loop straight.

Since I’m just looking for learning loops until I get it down on both hands, my string is really short so I have better control… Tip of my middle finger to my shoulder [or even nipple sometimes]

My progress on 2A has been slow and barely progressing. It’s harder and requires extra work.

My son, on the other hand, can “hop the fence” like mad. I’m starting to get it. I’m starting to be able to do 5 inside loops consistently, and I’ve been working at it for 4+ months now.

I picked up a pair of Loop 808’s at Nationals. I gotta say they aren’t bad and if you’re starting, this is a great way to go. I still prefer the Unleashed better, better size and weight for me.

I strongly recommend everyone try 2A.

Next items to get, at least in regards to looping pairs:
Probably a pair of YYF Loop900’s, and the the Loop1080’s when they drop. I am also tempted to consider the RecRev Reverbs, but I’d like them to be in more colors.

ALSO, do keep in mind, what comes easy for most comes hard to me. I really want to do this, so I’m really putting in the effort.

Is it possible to make Unleashed shims? They’d have to come in a variety of thicknesses, but that would truly make it gap adjustable, kind of like the Raider EXs. It would be an easy way to get the same gap width every time they’re taken apart (although it’s not that hard anyways). I’d love to see YYJ looping shims.

I use Sunset Trajectories, 50/50 type 8 string, cut about 9 inches from the slipknot then retied.

I don’t have issues with the Unleashed coming undone. I also fine that it often only takes a small amount of twist to adjust the gap, which I feel might be thinner than any shim could be. Also, the B bearing is very thin and I don’t know if being shim compatible would require any chances to the bearing seat area. I mean, it probably could be done. I do agree about wanting consistency and uniformity.

Honestly didn’t realize it had a so called adjustable gap :o I’ve just been getting them as tight as possible, it’s working for me. ;D

I’ve also successfully ruined multiple strings from not keeping track of my string tension. :frowning:

And man, I’m getting bruises on my hands when I get a bad catch. ::slight_smile: Glove time?

Gloves won’t help you there. String burn, yes. Getting popped? Nope.

Bummer :stuck_out_tongue: I guess I’ll just have to take it easy for a while.

Your problem is what is usually called “lineman hands” in football. You’re catching it with a stiff hand and wrist when you should be letting it come softly to your hand a accepting it rather than grabbing it. It’s hard to explain, much easier to demonstrate.
Try tossing a brick in the air and catching it. You see how you let your hands fall so it didn’t hurt? Translate that to your yoyo and you’re golden.

No it’s more like “toss a brick in the air and catch on the right side of your hand.” I can’t compensate for the yoyo with my pinky or ring finger enough.

OK, I see what you’re getting at. I think that will just come with practice. With me, when something becomes more work than fun, I stop doing it for a while. It’s usually easier when I come back to it later.