2023 Aluminum Butterfly

Hello all,

Please send AMA here and I’ll be answering your questions when I can. :smiley:

I will digest all the comments here. Sean from BYY/Duncan Toys will be sending pricelist to YYE soon, which we hope they can carry (new color/exclusive logos)

Thanks!

7 Likes

I must be out of the loop, because I assumed these were just beginner/starter yo-yos like the OG/XT!

2 Likes

Not sure id consider the OG or the GTX/X series as beginner yoyos.

Bimetal is a steep point to jump in from, pricey for a beginner.
Probably safer to get a plastic or monometal as a beater first.

2 Likes

Really? I always considered the Imperial and Butterfly to be absolute beginner models. The GTX/X was the one with the starburst response, correct? Forgive me if I’m confused. This new aluminum model looks like a step up.

3 Likes

I have been popped. I really love this throw.

10 Likes

I have not succeeded in popping the caps yet. I think I need a bigger suction cup. I’m excited to see how it plays a little lighter but I do kind of feel like the flat caps are a part of the Butterfly experience.

5 Likes

Sorry i misunderstood.

Thought you meant the bimetals ( Haymaker OG, Orbital GTX, Barracuda X, etc.)

I see now you mean the Butterfly and Butterfly XT.

The AL version is definitely premium in comparison to its plastic counterparts. :+1:

4 Likes

You’re good, friend! I was like DAMN I must be decent at throwing if those aren’t considered starter throws LOL. No worries! I remember getting the XT a few years back when I got back into throwing. The stuff we have now for metals/bi-metals etc. is NOTHING like when I was a kid. I think everything was plastic; The Freehand was the king at one point.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity…

…did the Imperial get an update (plastic mold) as well?

Had this on my mind a while now.

4 Likes

As a diehard Duncan fan from the 50s, the new Butterfly and Imperial are a must have. I hope to be making a post in What Did You Get in the Mail soon. :wink:

8 Likes

I can’t bring myself to pop my caps off. They look great without them and it has to improve play but they don’t look like butterflies anymore. I never dreamed I would be standing up for a 62 gram yoyo but I love mine just the way it is.

11 Likes

Looks like you kids have talked me into this….

7 Likes

Were the classic logo Imperials pre-order exclusive?

4 Likes

According to the blog they are only available in this initial release. When it goes wide they will have the new logo.

2 Likes

The site also mentions that the Imperial classic logo on the is only available at Duncan’s Vault.

I’m sure glad I have one on the way!

3 Likes

Sad to say when I saw the 2023 announcement I didn’t look into it. Honestly I was pretty disappointed by the first Butterfly AL. WAY too heavy, not sure how it could’ve been less, so no suggestions from me there. I figured the 2023 was the same with delrin caps. Now reading through this and seeing the spec difference I’ll be picking one of these up, especially like the lighter weight with the caps off. Bring on the Unknown @bjardin :grin:

7 Likes

I recently purchased these two updated yoyos, and I have been having a great time using them. The Imperial has exceeded my expectations with its weight and smooth returns. While some people may not enjoy the peaked edge, I find it creates a convenient catch zone for quick tricks and stalls. On the other hand, the Butterfly is a standout in terms of its ability to perform stalls. It feels lighter than the Imperial and has a sleek, seamless appearance with its white, smooth caps. I have been reluctant to remove the caps because I love the aesthetic they create. These are the type of yoyos that I will keep readily accessible to hand to anyone who wants to try a metal yoyo, over carpet of course!

13 Likes

I received the Imperial Butterfly set today. So far, not too impressed. Response is sketchy. I am pretty sure it is the low quality strings that came with them. I am going to try thicker string tomorrow.

2 Likes

It’s great that it also looks clean without the caps – options are good – but totally agree that you lose the distinctive look once removed.

2 Likes

I have been playing my butterfly non stop. It’s been a stall beast and plays between 0A and 1A seamlessly! The bearing went unresponsive and I haven’t been home yet to add some grease but playing it un-responsive has been killer. This yoyo has been nothing but fun and I’m hyped on it. @fos1, I immediately put a YYSL Venom on it and it’s response was predictable and snappy but not in any way snaggy, I hope a new string shows you the butterfly light lol

4 Likes