2023 Aluminum Butterfly

I put some Zipline on both of my new Duncans. It made a lot of difference with the Butterfly. It now responds as expected. The Imperial still has some hesitancy. I’ll add a tiny drop of lube and it should be good to go. The included string was just thin and had no body, probably cotton. It would probably be ok with a fixed axle. ?

4 Likes

I’m liking this with some silicone grease and a thick Zipline prestige string. I’d love to try it with the caps off, but struggling to remove them with a suction.

11 Likes

still waiting for the stickers to show up :frowning: They look cool. If i can pop the caps on the AL, they might end up goin on some regular butterfly blank halfs for more custom butterfly builds.

2 Likes

the caps are 50mm, keep that in mind

You did a great job with your sticker. Any tips?

2 Likes

Here’s my Butterfly collection, including the new 2023 AL Butterflies. Notice the painfully glaring omission of a pink plastic Butterfly, with an empty spot in the case just waiting for the day when I track one of those buggers down. And actually, the green one is an old-mold version from Amazon, cuz again, my local Target stores all suck.

18 Likes

What are the 3 on the right?

1 Like

Those are 2023 AL Butterflies.

1 Like

Where did you get colored stickers? Mine only came with black and psych

I made those stickers myself. I scanned the black sticker Duncan sent me, recolored it and added a border in Illustrator.

8 Likes

Dude thats awesome!!

1 Like

How did you get your sticker so straight? I would like to put the classic version on mine.

Thanks, Jeff

4 Likes

I was right there with you. I was about to run check mine. Nicely done!!

@fos1 @TommyBwell I tried to get an equal amount of space at the top and bottom of the sticker, and that seemed to help.

4 Likes

Not a butterfly posting but I saw this recently on twitter, mickey teased a collab edition of the imperial.

11 Likes

To offset everyone popping off their caps I decided to put my stickers on. Slightly crooked but I’m happy with it.

16 Likes

I haven’t gotten my stickers yet and I’m a little bummed! I’ll probably end up putting them on my planner or skateboard but I still want them

On the subject of response, though, I put the slightly thicker response pads from my Confusion GT and can honestly say that this is now the perfect yoyo. IMO of course. I can end my simple 1A lines with a stall or two, Maybe a kickflip if I’m feeling crazy, and then transition right back into 1A. This yoyo is so much fun and compliments my other butterflys very well!

6 Likes

I was unsuccessful popping the caps with a suction cup, so I took extreme measures.

My first impression playing with the caps off is that I think I like it more with them on. Fortunately, I can pop them back on if I want.

Without the caps it feels like the weight distribution is off. I was wondering if it would feel more like a Weekender, but it doesn’t really feel that way to me. I also think the smaller pads are just less snappy than other modern responsive throws.

I’ll probably end up putting the caps back on, but I suspect I’ll end up throwing my Freehand One and Weekender more.

9 Likes

Good idea on how to get the caps off. Can you tell us what the weight of each cap is please? I’m considering 3D printing some light weight caps.

4 Likes

Each cap is 4.9 grams.

3 Likes