Butterfly AL

Is it any good? Mark Montgomery just posted a video using it on his Insta, and it got me thinking about getting one. I really like the idea of, once this whole corona thing is over, telling people “it’s a butterfly” when the “what kinda yoyo is that?!” question is asked. I don’t know why this appeals to me so much but it does. A lot of them are still in stock so I’m in no hurry. Does it play anything like the Sherpa? Or is it better with a normal ct bearing?

2 Likes

It’s a really fun yo-yo. You can adjust it to your own play style. Default setup is just tug responsive. If you want more responsive, just add more thick lube or change it to half spec bearing, VERY good setup too.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Check this out…

It’s worth a read.:wink:

I recommend getting one! It’s a really solid throw, I prefer it more for responsive play than the sherpa!

2 Likes

If you have the funds I’d recommend a Doc Pop Weekender over a Butterfly AL. But I totally understand how hard it is to resist the siren call of a Duncan classic!

4 Likes

Have you seen the new Markmont editions? Lemon pepper (yellow caps on back body) and Toffee (golden brown). Pretty early pre-order since they don’t release till August but the colors are nice and I’m a sucker for limited runs.

4 Likes

The Toffee is quite enticing.

It’s not a pre-order it just says that the yoyo came out in August 2019

2 Likes

Lol!! Thanks a lot for correcting me. I feel silly.

1 Like

No prob haha I ordered one and saw that and panicked so I went on the website to confirm it.

1 Like

I am running mine as a 0a throw with a half-spec/slim bearing and heavy lube. It’s a fun throw, I can shoot the moon very easily with it.

2 Likes

I installed a half spec or slim C in my Butterfly AL as I saw this post and was excited to get it more responsive without having a million wraps around the bearing and I can see a tiny gap between one side of the bearing and the yoyo even when fully tightened. Do you also have this issue? So far I havent gotten my string caught, but I just started throwing it like that like minutes ago and I have 3 wraps around the bearing to get it where I want

1 Like

Maybe take the bearing off and reinstall it(or a different bearing), to try and get it flush.

I have 2 AL’s and haven’tt had an issue with changing the bearings. Good luck!:+1:

1 Like

That space is not a good thing at all. When I get that I take the yoyo apart and flip the axle and bearing around then carefully screw it back together so it’s firm but not over tightened.

1 Like

The axle that came with mine is too long for a half-spec bearing, so don’t try to force it or you’ll damage your yoyo. You’ll have to put a shorter axle in it to use that bearing.

Wow it is so good responsive. Garbage unresponsive tho. Good thread!

1 Like