Any experience with the butterfly AL

has anybody had experience with the butterfly AL Because in the near future I am looking to get my hands on one and I just want to know if there any good

4 Likes

I have one but using it for responsive-style tricks. I felt it was a better performer (for me) setting it up with a slim bearing for that sweet spot response.

3 Likes

I would highly recommend it for a super fun little yoyo.

1 Like

not me but if you like the original plastic duncan butterfly, I have the original one which is a fix axle yoyo and not the new one, you might like this one.

1 Like

Get it.

1 Like

Just got myself a butterfly AL. maybe my expectations are a little off, but spin times out of the box have been pretty disappointing, the bearing is also way noisier than i expect a brand new bearing to be. the only “responsive” yoyo i can compare to is my double agent with the slim bearing, which seemed to have longer spin times. i’ve seen lots of threads where people say they’re disappointed with the response out of the box, as if its not responsive enough, but mine feels pretty snappy just doesnt spin for a long time. i opened it up and the bearing has lots of resistance, its quite smooth feeling, but definitely doesn’t spin freely.

anyone have any ideas? I have other bearings i can try, and tbh im tempted to just drop a konkave in here and play it unresponsive.

Are they still making these?

I don’t know, they’re out of stock in most colors basically everywhere. I treated myself to a markmont edition that was still in stock.

Half-spec C bearings are usually lubed with thick lube to help with response. That will definitely prevent it from spinning “freely” during a flick test. However, that lube should also make it very quiet, so the fact that yours is noisy suggests that it needs a serious cleaning and then a good lubing.

3 Likes

the butterfly al is loaded with a full-size flat c bearing. definitely feels lubricated, but its loud and spins really damn slow.

really appreciate the response though, i’ll give it a good cleaning. sadly i don’t have thick lube and im already tempted to just go unresponsive on it lol. i love the shape and the feel in the hand.

Ah, so it is. I was confused by this sentence in the ad copy:

…if you feel like playing unresponsive play, just clean the bearing seat, add an unresponsive bearing…

Which suggested to me that it ships with a half-spec bearing, which could be swapped out for a full-size C bearing if needed.

1 Like

Definitely shouldn’t be loud - mine came heavily lubed which stops it spinning freely in a flick test but makes it near silent.

As @zslane said - a good clean and re-lube with thick lube. 3-in-1 oil will do as thick lube.

You could leave the bearing cleaned and dry to play it unresponsive, although I’ve found it’s not great as an unresponsive as the gap is a little narrow.

2 Likes

Ive got one! its a fun little yoyo. Smaller than I expected but that makes sense! Good for responsive tricks and just some fun low key throwing. The teal is beautiful too. It’s definitely a good looking yoyo

Mine came with a full size flat C bearing, but heavily lubed to make it responsive. Gap is a bit narrow for proper unresponsive play, but it’s great as a semi-responsive.

1 Like

yeah i would have expected the same based on verbiage, but all the specs say size c bearing too. def a little confusing.

Appreciate everyone’s responses! I’m going to give the bearing a good cleaning, and find some thick lube. In the mean time I might drop in a konkave for shits and giggles. Heres a photo of the yoyo if anyone wants to see. Love the gold, but kinda wish I would have gone with a classic red/blue/green lol

5 Likes

I ordered that same color a day ago can’t wait till it comes in the ol’ mail.

1 Like

I’m excited for you!

Thanks pal! I’m gonna do a swell video on my YouTube channel about it as well which I’m super happy about.

3 Likes

Where did you get it?