Duncan Restock - Haymaker X & Butterfly AL New Colors!

9 Likes

me: i want a yoyo with massive rims, any suggestions?

Garrett: new colors but it’s out of your price range… enjoy!

5 Likes

Haha

2 Likes

That raw Haymaker X is :fire::fire::fire:. Is it a clear ano or is it raw blasted?

I’d really like to hear some thoughts from people who own a Butterfly AL
@Mystik really likes them.

2 Likes

It’s clearly clear, duh

3 Likes

“…the Duncan HaymakerX… the smoothness man, the SMOOTHNESS!!! 10 out of 10!!!”
- Tokyoyo’s review

Is been playing it stock set up till yesterday. Switched out its wide responsive bearing for a slim one. I knew when I got it I was gonna play it responsive. I don’t know why I didn’t switch to the half spec sooner. Shoots moons like a champ now! This is my go to for when I have something a little fancier to go to. Classy, goes well when your playing dress up. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

It is undersized, even compared to a standard butterfly. But don’t judge it by its size - with the weight it has it does not lack power!

2 Likes

Yeah, general consensus seems to be that the AL Butterfly s*cks as an unresponsive yoyo, but really shines as a responsive yoyo. I’ve been tempted to get one, but since I already have a Weekender I don’t know if there’s really any point in that.

The Haymaker X is a beast of a yoyo, but I’m not sure it is worth $120 given how amazing the Grasshopper GTX is at 2/3rds the price. I also find the response pads too slippy for my tastes, so the Haymaker X requires an immediate pad swap, adding a little bit to its cost.

3 Likes

The Haymaker X is $105. I threw one yesterday and didn’t notice the pads being slippy. Did you try different string before swapping pads? I have a lot of yo-yos that certain strings just don’t really pair well with.

6 Likes

Ah, I guess Duncan lowered the price at some point; they retailed for $120 for quite some time.

Mine came with rather slippy white pads. Thicker strings do help, but I’m not a huge fan of solving pad problems via string selection. I prefer to solve pad problems with pads (or flowing my own silicone, which I’m learning to do). I haven’t actually swapped the pads in my Haymaker X yet, but if I decide to keep it I most definitely will.

4 Likes

I don’t know if I would call it a “pad problem” though. If binds are slipping it could just as easily be a “string problem” or simply a result of the overall yo-yo design.

3 Likes

Well, unless the yoyo has a really wide gap, my first suspicion is slippy pads (which for me are “problematic”). I’m willing to try a pad swap before blaming it on the overall design. For example, I encountered the same issue with the Colossus IV. I decided to practice flowing my own silicone on it and found that it made a huge difference.

4 Likes

I see it as more of a characteristic of the yo-yo. When I’m looking at different yo-yos I’ve been throwing recently like the Murmur or ReCognition or Ti Float I use a different string type for each. I could probably change out all the pads or bearings or whatever, but I prefer to find a string that matches the yo-yo. Just different solutions to the same problem I guess.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say it sucks as unresponsive. It comes stock with a flat C bearing lube to be responsive. This makes it semi responsive, which can be a good middle ground if you play 1a but want enough room to do multiple wraps on the bearing. Trade of is no moons to shoot.

I actually still plan to get another so I can have a more unobtrusive unresponsive to pack.:sunglasses:

1 Like

Do you have to change the axle to switch to a small bearing?

3 Likes

That’s a 100% fair criticism of it IMO. I’ve been playing it and the Grasshopper GTX and quality-wise they’re definitely on par, so even the currently reduced $105 price tag is hard to justify if you’re comparing it to the $30 cheaper Grasshopper GTX.

That said, I really do love mine. The bearing seized up so I swapped it with a 10-ball hybrid and it just plays so good.

Same but I wouldn’t call them slippy. They’re definitely not as grippy as the rather grippy red Duncan stickers. I wouldn’t say it’s a must-replace personally but you’re right that there’s a real difference throwing it side-by-side with a throw using the Duncan red stickers.

1 Like

No. Axle did not have to be switched.

2 Likes