1A World Champion 2014, U.S.A. Gentry Stein!

Absolutely AMAZING! Congratulations Gentry Stein, you deserved it!

I’m not too good at scoring these legit, I just sort of do the spectator thing. But, I was thoroughly impressed with Zach too. I have watched Worlds freestyles before, but there were just so many great ones. Zach was incredibly clean and original, and Paul Kerbel, just wow! For Gentry to win up against these guys was truly amazing. I think Prague helped put some fire under a lot of these guys. I just thought something was different about the level of energy.

1 Like

Gentry Stein’s personality reminds me of Jensen Kimmitt’s when he won 2010 World’s. And they were on the same team.

Yep yep

I like the part about 1:00, when he’s landing the yo-yo on the string repeatedly, to coincide with the beat. He always has great rhythm.

Why wouldn’t you count Ando in '08? The guy is from Texas, right?
He won five US Nationals in AA, dudes an American.

He lives in japan right now.

Something tells me if Tyler moved to Japan for a few years nobody would consider him a Japanese player. Perhaps you’re associating the way he looks with where you think he should be from. I’m pretty much positive the dude is a Texas native, and lived in the US for all of his National and World titles(except the Shaqler AP, I guess).

Yup, he’s from Texas. 1999-2004 he was Texas State 2a champion and he won nationals 2004-2007 in 2a.

Getting back on topic- It seems like WYYC has gotten Time’s attention

World’s best!?  Ha ha ha ha.  Nobody knows anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

Finally got round to watching all the freestyles and results (whilst managing to avoid finding out the results)!

[I was busy on sunday so I couldn’t watch it live]

I’m overjoyed with the result. Gentry has worked his tall blonde bum off for this and you could tell how much he wanted it. Brought a sensational freestyle with a lot of energy and it looked like he was having a great time up there.

I was watching the freestyles with complete unbias until Gentry’s. After that I was just cheering him on for the win. Congratulations that man, darn well earned. gives standing ovation

Also, a shoutout to Kerbel for once again being the very definition of entertainment. Next year son…

Wait, what? I HAVE to buy myself a new YYF to celebrate? Well… if I must.

anyone know the song used in his routine?

Check out this post on YoyoFactory Instagram.  It describes how Gentry polished his Shutter, used a CT, natural color pads, and Kitty String.  :slight_smile:

http://photos-c.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/914448_637696669659098_1078697881_n.jpg

No. He lives in Dallas right now. I’m 20 miles from Dallas, wish I could go and get my trading card of him signed.

Oops. Well, at one point he lived in Japan. The point is, he is sort of associated with Japan in some way.

Also, where do you find the scores of the finals?
LIke the tech points and stuff

Beside being able to brag about it to the ladies, what else do you get for winning worlds?

I bet people have already asked this before I just don’t recall.

The pressure of having to do well in all other contests after.
And a trophy.