1 yoyo a year :( WAT DO?

There is a long thread on this board about somebody who can’t manage to get 1 yo-yo period. There are many more about parents who don’t support the hobby in any way shape or form, won’t allow their kids to spend anything at all on yo-yos, and would never dream of driving them to a contest.

You have yoyos… you get a new one each year… you get driven to any contest within reason… you have money…

I guess I’m not seeing the problem.

Does it mean you won’t have a case full of shiny toys? yea. Does it mean you can’t be competitive or have a ton of fun yoyoing? no. You want more yoyos? win a contest… you usually get quite a lot of them for that. Surely she’d have no issue with you getting prizes.

There is something to be said in life for being happy with what you have, I’d focus on that.

You’d have a problem if she wouldn’t let you buy strings or something. That’s a problem because it prevents you from doing what you love… this doesn’t.

Kyle

3 Likes

That says a lot for both you and your mother. Good on you!

I understand. How many yoyos do you have? How many do you purchase anually?

I wonder if you mom has fully considered some of the arguments in this thread, for you having more than one per year. I consider having yo-yos and money in the bank about the same. Depending on what kind of collection you have, it easily turns into money again whenever you need it. So, I don’t see it as having to choose between “money” or yo-yos… because it’s all the same to me. I think yo-yos are like an investment. Not just an investment in something you enjoy playing with and collecting, but they have trade and sale value like anything else. That means that buying yo-yos, for someone who has money like you, is not such a big deal at all. It’s not like once you buy the yo-yo, you are flat broke and lost the value of what you spent on it. You can sell it anytime, but like any investment, you have to choose wisely about what yo-yos you buy. I think getting involved in this process can make you wiser about finances and investment decisions in the future. At the end of the day, you have to do what she says, but when I was your age, I always made the best argument on my behalf. Then, if the decision stands, so be it, but I was definitely heard before it was said and done.

2 Likes

I like how after that beautiful speech all you have to say is ask those 2 questions xD

My parents once imposed a one trade/purchase a month rule. I am not even sure if it still stands. But I noticed I wasnt lurking through tons of BST posts anymore, I was being more thoughtful about trades, and I was surprisingly more happy overall with yoyoing. One yoyo a year however, thats harsh. Just food for thought, but although I am an unbelievably privileged child and do not deserve the treatment I receive, and am probably not even close to approaching the amount of gratitude I should give my parents, I feel it would be a good idea and try to stick with the 1 yoyo a year for a while. Give the system a chance, see how you feel after a few months. For me, less focus on the BST meant more focus on actual yo-yoing. Also, when you receive yo-yos so often, you lose that feeling of excitement when you open a new package, or when you know a yoyo is waiting for you at home. I personally miss the feeling of being a child in a toy store whenever I hit up the YYE website. It used to feel so magical, looking at all of the options for brands on the store home page. Every time I log in now I feel a pang of nostalgia for that excitement. My first metal yoyo was a Maverick. I remember checking the tracking every day, and waiting in school eagerly. I tore open the package with such energy that I accidentally nicked myself with the scissors. I haven’t felt such anticipation for a yoyo in a while. I barely get excited over the prospect of a new yoyo anymore sadly.
So see how it feels, the new rule. It might make you value your yoyos more.

In all honesty I haven’t bought a yoyo since January.

I’ve wanted to buy a yoyo for quite a while, but I’ve just haven’t had the money. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve almost ran out of strings once, but TotalArtist gave me a whole lot of string to help me! I actually haven’t had money to buy response pads either. :stuck_out_tongue: So I’ve been playing with really old pads… Yeah, I know about flowable silicone, but my most played yoyo, my Avant Garde, doesn’t really accept silicone that easily so when the pads fall out, it’s going to be unplayable. :frowning:

But, I’ve actually been fine with not buying yoyos. :stuck_out_tongue: I realize that I want them, I really do, but I know that I can’t afford them right now so I’ll use what I have and I’ll be okay with that. :smiley:

I see. But I have the money, I think that’s our difference xD

Good man. Perhaps you could try to negotiate to 2 or 3 new yoyos a year? Sounds like you and your mum have a healthy enough relationship that you can open up a dialogue without anyone getting too upset.

Yuki

I haven’t bought a throw since March, money problems and the such, being a 16 year old. Although, I am honestly extremely happy with my throws, I’ve learned to love each of them for what they are, and I took my time to actually dive deep into how every one of the yoyos I have work. You’ll learn to love your throws a lot more that way. Believe me, my FG Ava alone could keep me satiated in the whole yoyoing thing. Anyhow, a year isn’t nearly as long as it feels, but I still think your mom could ease up and do a quarterly thing, or a bi-yearly at most, that way both parties are happy. It’s important to understand that they aren’t doing this to attack you, but they want to make sure you stay on check, so don’t be angry at your parents, they’re the only two you’ll ever have.

Or growing marijua-- I mean growing sunflowers and selling them to the neighbors…

Oh and don’t get the idea that I’ve done any of these before, the reason I only have 1 kidney, many lost house valuables and a police officer suit have nothing to do with any of your perverted reasons. Pshh.

But seriously, try to convince her into 2 yoyos a year. That’s what I basically did before my sponsor, one yoyo on Christmas and one on my birthday. Sure, the same old feel of the yoyo got a little old but it grew on me and by the time it was Christmas (my bday is in May so there is a pretty big gap between the two) I had a new refreshing yo to play with.

If you are gonna manage to get the two yoyos/year rule, then discipline yourself to a one yoyo every 6 months type thing or even ask your mom if you could do a one yoyo/every six months thing. (do this when you bring home a test with an A+ on it)

Hey guys, thanks again for the help. But this just takes cake. I got my mom to tell me about how my sister spends. You know what? My sister has no money. But I know she’s still buying. Do you want to know how she’s getting money? My mom’s just giving it to her. My sister is in no way earning my mom’s money. My sister spends $500+ on clothes each year. What the heck? First, my sister is spending more than I am on yoyos. Second, its not even her own, earned money. She says she makes up for that for me by taking me to contests. In my opinion, you could think of it as compensation for my sister getting to spend unearned money. But that shouldn’t bar my money also. Seriously, what…the…heck?!

Yeah. It doesn’t all add up, but you’re going to have to not pick that fight, in my opinion as a parent. If you have any interest in clothing/fashion, you could possibly make a case for getting more clothing than you’re currently getting, though. :wink:

It does cost your mother far more than $500 in terms of gas and time to take you to contests . If you badger her about it, she’s not going to be inclined to continue. If she doesn’t feel her efforts are appreciated, she would be within her rights to say, “Fine. Nobody (or everybody) gets $500 of clothes and you don’t get contests anymore.” Don’t poke that bear.

How old is your sister? I only have to pairs of shorts, and they both have holes in the pockets. :-\

Because this will happen.

http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=b65a1313e8d9

Negotiate! It’s only fair that you should spend at least what your sister spends!

As I said, if she spends that much, fine. That covers the part where I expect her ro treat me the way she treats my sister. But my sister sometimes earns her money and when she does, she doesn’t pay back my money. I can’t tell my mom either that Ohhhhhh, Kelsy can spend her money on her own stuff, why can’t I. My sister is 21 and is going to have a job. Did you know we filled most of our ENTIRE van with about 1/4 of her total clothes?

I mean seriously, my sister already moved out of out house and my mom is still providing her with unearned funds.

I feel ya, as we are the same age. But my parents dont place restrictions on my yoyo purchases. I feel bad for you, youre a professional yoyoer (or should be one haha) but only has like 5 yoyos? Total BS.