Zorro's 2014 Freestyle Contest

Since this is an online contest this has to be judged differently than a Live on stage performance.
Here are some of my thoughts(conisdering if we were to use the new IYYF rules).

Cleanliness is pretty much useless since you can just film until you get a clean freestyle, this will be kept in mind though and graded in the control category below.

Space use is also kinda weird if you are not on a stage.

Here is my idea for a judging system slightly based of the official IYYF rules but a lot more simplified.

10%Variety: variety of concepts used, different kind of tricks
10%Rareness: originality,newness and creativity
10%Music use: Going to the rhythm of the beat, choreography to music, music cues
10%Control: This is a combination of the execution and body control grading systems from the IYYF rules, this is how good control you have over the yoyo and how smoothly you execute your tricks
60% Tech: plus and minus clicks most people know how this works. Positive clicks for string hits and other trick elements, harder elements can give multiple clicks, negatives for misses and loss of control. Repeated elements will score less clicks or not at all if repeated too frequently.
Major Deducts: -1 restart, -3 discard(probably wont need them though since you get unlimited tries filming)

Please tell what you think about this(or recommend a whole other system) and give ideas what we can do to make it better, especially Zorro since itā€™s his contest :P.

5 Likes

Brilliant, glad you could help out.

As for the judging system. This is also brilliant. I believe I have found the judging system. :slight_smile:

Palli be a judge!

He already is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVDS2Wsq3ZQ

Has the contest started yet?
EDIT oh can you take my name off the registered list?

That looks good.

You can submit videos whenever you wish. Judging just does not start until I decide itā€™s time (which I have not done yet).

Okay.

If no one has submitted there 1A video yet I think it would be awesome if we could do a Prelim round for 1A since there will be so many people.

I am planning on it. Just not quite yet. Even if final videos are submitted, they can just be used if that person makes it to the finals.

Do you think that you could have an intermediate division for all of us throwers who arenā€™t as good as the experts or professionals on this forum?

I think it would just help to have a fair contest, instead of mixing in the experienced throwers with the new ones.

I would be up to judging if we did one of these :slight_smile:

I donā€™t see a deadline for registration.

Iā€™m thinking about joining but I would like to know how long I have to decide

3-4 Weeks probably. I want to keep it open for a long time because I am still getting a lot of people signing up. Usually, I got about 3 to 4 per day, so as long as that sticks, I am keeping it open. I actually got two people last night at around midnight. :smiley:

You give a very good point, however, that normally does not happen at contests. I still think I will do everyone together.

When is the deadline for prelims?

I will decide that shortly. Look on the main post for deadlines. I will get them up sooner or later. I have been kind of busy.

Gotta start practicing double d. Should be interesting

Actually there usually is an intermediate division. Itā€™s called sports 1a or something else. Itā€™s a 1 minute routine for beginners.