Zorro's 2014 Freestyle Contest

Results/Judging Post:http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,72882.0.html

I am starting, yet, another contest. This is a big one that I would like everybody that can, to compete in.

Registration is now closed.

DETAILS:

Divisions:
1A
2A
3A
4A
5A
Other (if you and 1 other people select the same style, I will add it in as a contest division)

How to submit videos:
I have created a YouTube account that will be used as the contest account. Everybody should upload their videos onto that account, so they can be edited if needed or anything else like that. Just upload them and I will move them to where they need to be, etc. Make the videos public.
Rules:

1. I can and may make exceptions to the rules if needed.
    Section 1: (Divisions)
  2. Every division opens once one person has entered other than the “Other” division. That requires two contestants entered for the same division.
  3. There is no limit to number of divisions you may enter. Just register multiple times, each time using a different division
  4. You may not change divisions in mid-video.
  5. For every division you enter, you must create a separate video.
    Section 2: (Videos)
  6. Follow time rules by division.
  7. Videos must be titled like so: Zorro’s 2014 Freestyle Contest - [Division], [Round] - [Forum Name]
  8. After results, video name will be edited to: Zorro’s 2014 Freestyle Contest - [Division], [Round] - [Place] - [Forum Name]
  9. You can add a title and/or credits if necessary
  10. You have unlimited amount of tries, but video must be one-take long
    Section 3: (Music)
  11. Music must be considered G-rated
  12. Music is required Music is not required but highly recommended. No music means not Music Use score.
  13. Music can be either 1) played in film background, or 2) edited into video.
    If more rules should be added/subtracted, PM me with the info you would like posted.

Time Rules:
1A Division:
Prelims: 1-minute
Finals: 2-minutes
2A-5A Divisions:
Finals: 1-minute

1A Prelims will go into effect starting now. No prelims for 2A-5A

Scoring System:
(Shoutout to Palli for thinking of doing it this way)
10%Variety: variety of concepts used, different kind of tricks
10%Rareness: originality,newness and creativity
10%Music use: Going to the rhythm of the beat, choreography to music, music cues
10%Control: This is a combination of the execution and body control grading systems from the IYYF rules, this is how good control you have over the yoyo and how smoothly you execute your tricks
60% Tech: plus and minus clicks most people know how this works. Positive clicks for string hits and other trick elements, harder elements can give multiple clicks, negatives for misses and loss of control.  Repeated elements will score less clicks or not at all if repeated too frequently.
Major Deducts: -1 restart, -3 discard(probably wont need them though since you get unlimited tries filming)

Format:
You all make a video of your freestyle, very similar to UFVC, but you have unlimited takes. The videos will be set to a certain length depending on if there are prelims or not. As for judging, I will post the scoring system, etc shortly. I would prefer it if some of the professionals on these forums would sign-up as a judge. That would be best. Invited guests automatically get selected to be judges.

Video Uploads:
NEW FORMAT: This new way of doing this is to prevent videos being deleted. Upload all your videos on your personal account and send me a link. I will put all of them in a playlist on mine and change the password so nobody can edit them except for me. That way, all the contestants and judges can all go to one place to watch the videos. To send me the link, PM me.

Registration Deadline: 3/15/14
1A Prelim Deadline:3/20/14
2A, 3A, Double Dragon, and Mobius Final Deadline: 3/25/14
4A and 5A Final Deadline: 3/30/14
1A Final Deadline: 4/4/14

Full Schedule:
1A Prelims: 3/20
2A, 3A, Double Dragon, and Mobius Finals: 3/25
1A Prelim Results: 3/27
4A and 5A Finals: 3/30
1A Finals: 4/4
2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, and Double Dragon Results: 4/9
1A Finals Results: 4/10

Prizes:
1A:
1st Place: $50 YYE Gift Card
2nd Place: $25 YYE Gift Card
3rd Place: $15 YYE Gift Card
Other Divisions:
1st Place: $25 YYE Gift Card

Currently Registered:
1A (Top 8 Advance to Finals)
Zorro
harryhillz
The Yoyo Nerd
Y0Y0SR2PR0
MYNAMEISZen
witlessone
kdallaz
kulazndoode
Hotpocket
owngry
darkscism
qwertyo
mazdarx7fd
its_steve
YoyoJordan
bcmaddog
igknighton
Link45116
HipposLoveCereal
Erik Kerber
stuarttw
Philip
yairhonig
Logi

2A
kdallaz
bcmaddog
azunyan
Philip

3A
zigzag97
kdallaz
Link45116
stuarttw

4A
kdallaz
owngry
bcmaddog
Philip
stuarttw
Palli

5A
Chase Baxter
bcmaddog
owngry
Zorro
Philip
cbeckford
Its_Steve

Other:
DoubleBass (Mobius)
kdallaz (Double Dragon)
stuarttw (Double Dragon)
Logi (Mobius)

JUDGES:
1A:
Palli
Zorro (if I do not make finals)
Jr. Mouse
mikenak1
Chase Baxter
3A All Day
cbeckford

2A:
Link45116

3A:
Zorro
Palli
qwertyo
mikenak1
3A All Day
cbeckford

4A:
Jr. Mouse
Jake Elliot
mikenak1
3A All Day
Zorro

5A:
Jr. Mouse
Jake Elliot
mikenak1

Other:
Double Dragon: Jr. Mouse, Zorro

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9OcmvHu5PoeOE-7cgOPHQ

2 Likes

What’s up with all the contests :stuck_out_tongue:

Just trying to have some fun. You game?

Proposal: don’t make it like a freestyle. Having to do one long take is frustrating. Besides, if you allow us to cut, we can create pretty awesome effects.

I think it should be a contest of who can make the best video. You dig?

just a question. Why do you need my full name? Im a noob to this stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

He doesn’t. It’s not required.

ok thanks i didnt see that

im in! but be warned i suck ;D

Why do we need this? We all know I’m the best.
JK
I might do thiss

We can all agree Andre is the best on the forums. End of story.

2 Likes

Hmm… Why not.

I’ll join 1a, 3a, 4a, and 5a.

Someone ran one of these last year I think, Alex did. Yoyo Battle Royale. I think Josh one and Alex G got second if I remember.

The Battle Royale was awesome, and Alex said hed probably do it again this year.

I HIGHLY doubt this one will be anywhere near as popular as the Royale

Gag not one of these again I’m getting tired of recording halfway decent stuff every other week.

I personally think Zorro should take a little break from this ::slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sadly not going to, but consider changing the name, best player of the forums seems too much. And if something like this were to be done, it should be done in a correct fashion, especially the judging part. You should really get some people who have a good amount of background knowledge on judging

PS the current standings from the Royale was
1- Josh Yee (miss his really deep yoyo posts)
2- Keiran Cooper
3- Either Julian or Alex G.

1 Like

I think it was Alex. Definitely not Wilson, I remember he got eliminated.in the 3rd round or something like that

Yeah it was Julian

Technically speaking I believe the best player currently active on these forums is Palli. Obviously with Jake Elliot taking the spot for 5A.

At any rate… Tradition seems to be that Yomagic organises a big battle royale every year, with a lot of forum members entering. As has been mentioned Josh Yee won that last year and it was a treat to watch the whole thing.

I appreciate your enthusiasm Zorro but the problem is the more contests people do, the less special they actually seem. With 3 or 4 contest going on at any one time, you diminish the value of them, and full time workers like myself just don’t have the time to spend filming for so many different contests.

If it was a proper contest with sponsors, prizes and publicity (like the CLYW contest for instance) then you would garner more interest and more prominent forum members would enter. Especially prizes. Until it reaches that level you just won’t get the better forum members taking the time out to film and make videos…

1 Like

I am actually trying to find a way to do prizing. 1) I need something to give away, 2) I don’t know if I should get more than 1 for 2nd and 3rd place as well. But, yes, I see your point. As for sponsor’s, I plan on trying to do something like this every year, if that is okay with everyone, and seeing how much people like it this time around, to see if I will do it again. Then, I will look for sponsors.

But, all in all, I see your point.

and,

You don’t have to. That was just something on the form. It is not required, but if anyone feels like they want to, go ahead. I don’t need it for anything.

I am trying to. But every other day, it seems, I get an idea that seems funner than the last. I plan on stopping after this one. My FYYL will still be going throughout the year but it should be the only one for while.

EDIT:

I am planning on asking Andre, Steve Brown, and maybe one or two more professionals on here for judging.

As for that name, how is it now?