Zero Gravity Return Tops - winglet yoyo

Nope. There was no need to make any changes to the design. We love it!

4 Likes

When are they gonna start being sold? Might have to snatch one up…

Thanks—The plan is to be released by July

1 Like

Love the beautiful red ano!

(Would love to have seen an aqua version too…)

1 Like

Rose gold would be great. :joy::wink:

very interesting colorway … it might be part of a future run

5 Likes

5 days till release guys! I don’t have money atm, or else I would probably buy it.

3 Likes

Hi @jeduardo! Cool design work here. I am interested in knowing/understanding more about the thought process and design that went into this yoyo and was wondering if you would like to get into more detail about what inspired you to design this yoyo.

1. I am particularly interested in knowing if aerodynamics actually came into consideration when you came up with this design or if it was more inspired by the aesthetic of an airfoil?
    On your website: “after being inspired from the aerodynamics of planes’ and birds’ wings. Winglets are made to reduce the air flow and maintain the maximum lift of an object in motion.”
    Do the slight upcurves on the rims of the yoyo play a role in mitigating turbulence? Are they intended to actually act as winglets? Does the overall design effect how the yoyo deals with air resistance while in motion?
    I have never thought about air resistance and yoyo movement in that much detail before… Are there areas of higher air pressure and lower air pressure that form around a spinning yoyo in movement (much like those on a airfoil)?

2. What type of experience came into play with this work? How you done other work in aerodynamics before?

I look forward to hearing more about this. Also, bump for a fellow Canadian. :heart: :maple_leaf:

3 Likes

Thanks for asking @Xanadu. Although kinetics plays a major role here, I wanted to incorporate certain features of a winglet into the yoyo to reduce air resistance. Other factors played into its design though; I wanted to develop a yoyo that was light, fast, stable and comfortable to the hand, as well as to perform as many tricks as possible. The result was this H-Shaped profile. Definitely the shape of a yoyo deals with air flow, but not to a significant extent. In a rotating cylinder, for example, the air molecules will stick more than in a rotating yoyo, as the cylinder would have more surface touching the air flow than the yoyo.

In the past I was involved in many design works, then I moved to the business side and ended up working for a company that deals with tons of science. My role there is to improve things and I deal with a lot of rotating things there :wink:

Guess which rotating object is my favorite one.

3 Likes

Cool, thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions @jeduardo. Bump for a neat looking yoyo that drops tomorrow! :maple_leaf::yo-yo:

3 Likes

I am truly impressed by this yoyo

5 Likes

I’m getting a Dark Night Winglet for my birthday in August! Also the Stormy Blue is already sold out? Wow! :thinking:

5 Likes

I’m new to modern unresponsive yo-yo’s but I can say so far I really like my Winglet. I’ve grown my collection very quickly so I’ve been able to compare it to a fair number other yo-yo’s. It’s very smooth and stable and comfortable in the hand despite what the rim shape might suggest. I can sometimes feel the string catch the edge leading to the response pads but to be honest it doesn’t affect my play. Overall I think it’s a very good first run and supporting a new fellow Canadian is a bonus.

3 Likes

Thanks for your comment and feedback @BubbaCZN. Yes, we took care of that and ensured it did not affect playability as you pointed out.

In our second run, we are smoothing out a little bit that area.

What we are finding interesting is that the winglet helps improving accuracy the more you play with it.

2 Likes

What did you do to insure that?

4 Likes

Any string catch must affect playability, even if only to a small degree.

2 Likes

Agreed. We have not seen string being caught, reason why we are just smoothing out the edge a tinny bit.

1 Like

What about that lip on the outer rim? That scares me.

We reviewed the the design, finish, angles and performance.

Oh nothing to worry about it!

2 Likes