YYR Wunder

Hello,

Does anyone have a Wunder? Or spent any time with it? I’m very interested in it. I really like the undercut but not sure if it actually adds anything to the yoyo. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

4 Likes

I owned one for a while. Looks really cool but I would say for the price point it was not super funky or anything except the looks. IMO a classic Cliff plays better. I also think the first Wunder was way better play wise. The new one is a YYR TM on steroids.

2 Likes

So not as weird as the shape and price might suggest? With that design I was hoping it would be more interesting and unique

It is unique but imo not in a good way. If you get one cheap nice but else I would not go for it. There are definitely better undercuts when it comes to play. If you have a TM I would say it is pretty close but with all the nice things Ti gives you.

2 Likes

Thank you. That’s a bit of a bummer to hear but I appreciate it. I’ll keep an eye out for a cheap one then.

1 Like

See what others think, was just my feelings with it. And if you have a chance to get a cheap TM see if you like it.

1 Like

Yeah I’ll keep an eye out for that as well. They don’t seem to go for very much. Maybe I’ll fall in love and have to get a Wunder. We will see

1 Like

It is definitely the most “boxy” design I have played.

3 Likes

That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, I just want the yoyo to make sense and be more than the sum of its parts. I was considering the Wunder and the FGTi but was leaning towards the Wunder just because of the shape. Any opinions on the FGTi?

Never tried so no idea

1 Like

FG Ti is very good assuming we are talking about the Shaqshine FG Ti. Plays pretty much identical to the bimetal when I had the chance to try both

1 Like

@alomac

I sadly played only wonder, not wunder.

Its spelled german

On the other note I believed kengo used the name wunder from the hit EVA series, and the Third Impact Yoyo name (from yyrs old model) was also taken from the same show.

I really enjoy Undercut yo-yos. I certainly have enough of them…. But a few things I noticed about the Wunder yo-yo that kinda kept me from buying one.

First of all, when it was released, it was released like it was gonna make a big splash……. And ‘it didn’t’. <> I know the first small batch sold out in Japan. It there seems to be a small group of people that make that happen. Not much performance feedback or amazing reviews followed, that I found anyways? Maybe I missed them, dunno?

Also, several people that had them(I have no idea what they paid for them?) had trouble selling them for over $300🙀 Even DapperWoona from Canada(Ivan) sold his for about $300. And I ‘think’, if it’s that rare and that good and that amazing to be named the Wunder, I wondered why it can’t fetch higher dollar amounts? But, then again, just logical deduction, I may be wrong🧐

Now…. That being said, just from my decades of messing with various yo-yo shapes, I would bet good money it has some good high performance potential. The consolation is that you have to deal with that ‘shape’. Undercuts are one thing…… But a Wiiiide undercut is ‘another thing’. The way it would feel in the hand… the way it would feel in the air… the way it would feel on the return…. The way it would feel trying to do chop-sticks, etc….that woul be a new adventure for most folks. And I ‘think’ if the adventure was that ‘amazing’ people wouldn’t be selling them or at least not selling them at half retail?

Dunno. I personally still feel all these years later, that the very Best Undercut yo-yo ever designed and produced was and still is the Oxy Hyperion. And I have no hesitation saying that if Carlo decided to tool up and make another 75 of them, they would sell out as fast as a Cure for Baldness. 75 Hyperions for sale…… sorry/sold out.

Dreaming.

Just another opinion…

3 Likes

I absolutely loved mine while I had it. It’s got the power and stability to mail all your tricks with ease, but it floats in the air which is either a turn on or off for players. When I say float, I mean this: Its got. Hefty weight to it because of the immense rim weight, but due to the low center weight of the design and low over all weight for its size, it’s has a tendency to have more “hang time” in the air. I found it to be agile at high speeds but going from slow to fast on a dime is more or less a no go.

Hope this provides some good insight and wasn’t mega confusing to read. Cheers

3 Likes

The shape is something to get used to, you either like it or you don’t. I loved the shape, but do wish the corners weren’t so abrupt. A little curve to this design would go a loooooong way I think… wunder does feel it but boxy, which I was a fan of in a way…

2 Likes

You put a lot of my concerns into words, thanks Doc. I don’t necessarily need the performance if it’s sufficiently weird or interesting but it just doesn’t sound like it is. Even the width doesn’t really scare me, if it adds to the personality in a positive way that makes sense.

I like under cut yoyos, I have the Glacier Express (that I actually got from you) and the Cliff and I really like them both. That’s part of why I was interested in the Wunder to begin with. Sounds like it may be a pass unless I can get a beat one for $150.

I also would buy a Hyperion.

1 Like

Thank you for the positive insight as well, that makes me even more curious about it. I do love floaty stuff a lot.

1 Like