YYF Ben wasn’t kidding (YYF made a lot of Genesis variants)

Edit for clarification: so Ben remarked below that the Superstar and SuperNova was designed apart from the Genesis but that the Catalyst, Super G and Rockstar were definitely cut from the Genesis’ cloth, so I replaced the Superstar with the Rockstar here and dropped the Nova.

Also the G5 and GM2s came before the Genesis obviously.

@yyfben2.deactivated made a comment somewhat recently that at one point everyone on the team just wanted a Genesis as their signature and that this just wasn’t realistic from a business perspective.

Here’s the apparent result of that:

Super G

G Funk

Catalyst

Grind Mutant 2 (I think)

Grind Machine 2 (I think)

Rockstar

Yuuksta

Aviator and Aviator 2

ReGen

There are definitely others too but you get the idea. Genesis is definitely one of the most influential yo-yo designs ever.

12 Likes

Dat H shape! :heart:

If only I could get my hands on one of those red b-grades… :confounded:

5 Likes

Agreed. It’s an iconic design. It really kind of stems from the G5/G.5. (G.5 is the first pic, G5 is second)

6 Likes

Yeah I definitely considered throwing the G5 in as a reference point. I can’t recall, what came first the GM2s or the G5?

1 Like

The G5 did I believe.

2 Likes

I just love how YYFs designs all seem like logical extensions of previous designs they’ve worked on. I don’t get the negative attitude some people have toward them, they’re really the foundation of modern yoyoing in a lot of ways, along with YYJ.

6 Likes

Genesis is a great throw. Still have my jason lee supernova. Its still a blast and still on par with a lot of competition models today.

1 Like

Agreed, I still have (somewhere) my Purple Rain edition. Which may have been the first edition? Can’t remember for sure.

2 Likes

G5/grind mutant 2 came first.

Grind machine 2 was the one most followed from.

The catalyst, rockstar and super G were all run on modified cutting paths of genesis. All the same yoyo, just different shape. Superstar and supernova was different and all drawn from ground up, but not in a bubble. There are way more similar to this we made lol.

We also made lots of radically different too tho

7 Likes

I’m not trying to say anything negative, just highlighting that to me it seemed like you were able to satisfy your players desire for yo-yos similar in nature to the Genesis while making them unique enough that they are really a different product.

There’s definitely tons of stuff you guys have put out that’s nowhere close to the Genesis.

Out of curiosity, what was the first mass-produced aluminum yoyo to hit the market?

I know the one I have was first, and released the same time as.another color, but i dont remember what color way. I think it may have been a black and gold but i dont remember

My Genesis is the best Genesis

6 Likes

SB2 maybe?

1 Like

This post is dope.

You should look into all the companies that also made variants :wink: :rofl:

Just playing around :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

You’re not lying though

1 Like

I’ve been interested in the history of all these yyf variants for a while now. I remarked on it in a different topic not long ago.

2 Likes

Fixed!

1 Like

If it’s broad pad it’s from the first run.

2 Likes

It’s also an H shape which is somewhat rare these days, though I’d kinda distinguish based on the angle from respose pad to rim. I don’t think the G5 is really related for that reason, it’s more organic with fat rims, kinda like the Ti-Vayder etc.