Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

U should get a cliff or a spectrum!!!

No, nope, not possible. My wife agrees with you.

1 Like

Interesting, the same exact thought crossed my mind the other day while playing my iyoyo two.

2 Likes

I personaly like organics for the aesthetics. All the odd slopes and angles found on most modern yoyos isnt as elegant too me. They also do feel nice in the hand. I just like everything about them. Sure they might not be the best shape performance wise but if you only limit urself to competitive throws theres a whole bunch u miss out on

2 Likes

I have zero interest in a bimetal Shutter.

2 Likes

I see where you and @hobbygod are coming from on this, I get that feeling from the old yyf h-shaped throws. 888 -> OG Genesis/GM 2 -> G5 -> Super G and G Func, this may not be chronologically correct, but if you play them them together you can definitely see how they were trying different designs from more organic to more extreme H shapes to optimize different aspects. They are still playing around this with the new genesis, new DNA, Ti 888, etc. I just really love all the yyf throws from that 888 to Super G time frame.

The OhYesYo hearse is another modern H yoyo that feels like a great compromise between organics and W shapes. It is a very fun yoyo.

Here’s some various YYF yoyos around that theme.

4 Likes

H shape is the best shape. That’s just facts, man!

5 Likes

I think the H-shape is a little outdated at this point. I really like what the Shutter does by having the rim slope down instead of extending into the catch zone a little, which is my main criticism of the H-shape.

I personally think the current popular v-shape catch zone with flat rims shape is the best yo-yo design for 1A purposes. I love this design when it includes some slight organic elements to the shape as well.

I think the H-shape is probably the best for 5A still though.

I think W-shapes are gross looking to the point where I can’t even justify buying one to try.

4 Likes

I think naming all of the yoyo shapes is almost useless. For me there is (speaking only of “butterfly” shapes) only round or angled. The shapes of the yoyos themselves are nearly always available to look at to see the variations. My opinion, probably unpopular.

For example telling me these yoyos are H shaped really tells me nothing that I can use.

15 Likes

I think there is more overlap in design than there are differences. I don’t think picking the most extreme h shape that’s ever been made and comparing it to one of the most subtle is the best way to argue that a given shape name covers too much ground to be useful. You’re giving examples at the furthest ends of the spectrum.

And ignoring that, the shapes give a base to build a more accurate description from. When picking colors of paint, you can use a basic color as an overall description of the paint you’re picking, with a specific name giving you a better idea of the exact hue.

“What color are you painting the living room?”

Oh some shade of green, maybe hunter or forest.

Green gives you a general idea of possible choices, with further description narrowing it down.

Right… like round and angled does. :slight_smile:

Except that’s more like saying “oh it’s a primary color, not a secondary color.”

Lol. Not to me. I’ve seen so many yoyos described as H, W, V… it’s crazy. Angled and round works just fine for me.

3 Likes

The hobby has sort of polarized to the point where most yoyos appear to be designed to fit into one of two broad categories: “chill and easy-going,” and “competition performance”. Sure, there are quite a few that sit somewhere in the middle of that spectrum, but it seems to me the majority are intended to fall into one of those two categories pretty clearly.

In effect, I don’t buy a yoyo based on its shape but rather on it design intent, and I think the companies market them that way as well. Most of us, I suspect, get an idea of what to expect from a yoyo by understanding which of those two categories it falls into, irrespective of its shape.

The top one is not an H though. Inverted (opposite of organic) angle from response pads to rim determines H.

I’m with you, sir. Rounded and angled is good enough for me. Most of the time I just see myself as a dummy. I’ve been into yoyos for 2 years now and I cannot tell the difference in all the shapes. All I know is I am not really into anything angular.

2 Likes

H%20shape

Yes!!!

You’re missing out on some of the best most fun Yoyo tricks out there man. Get out of your comfort zone. Throw a competition yoyo focused more on actually performing well than having than that “organic feel”, and learn some more advanced tricks!

2 Likes

I have fun yoyoing the way I like, so what’s wrong with that? Though I actually like to throw all kinds of yoyos, so im not just only throwing on organics. I just typically prefer throwing casually with less competition oriented throws. And I will break out a V or an H when I learn new tricks.

2 Likes

It really makes sense if you consider organic a shape, which it certainly is! Invert the organic curve from the rim to the response pads and bam, that’s an H.

↑ ↑ See that negative white space on an organic, which I’ve flood filled in the above pic with black? So you have either a blue O or a black H here :wink:

So technically H is the literal opposite of O. There is no opposite of V because it’s a straight line. Inverting a V results in… a V.

(No, “response bumps” don’t make something an H, otherwise the 2016 benchmark O would be an H :wink: )

4 Likes