YYF Bearings

in my velocity, I can’t pull out my bearing it comes off of one side and stays on the axel half. On my 201 the bearing comes completely out, I know they are the same size and fro mthe same company, though I wonder. Neither of my bearings (stock of course) have spacers I can remove, or is it that I possibly have them stuck and need a pair of pliers to remove them. I am just worried because I dont want to ruin them. However if I can better lube and clean them for a smoother, more quiet spin by removing these spacers I am commited to do so.

You need pliers, but taking the spacers off isn’t neccisary. If you want to lube it, just put theee lube between the specer and the bearing.

so taking pliers to it wont break it?

You’ll probably know if you’re going too hard. They can break them, but its not likely.

1 Like

awesome :smiley: thanks :smiley:

So, I have a 201, 720 and a Velocity. I couldnt find my multi-tool so I dont have any pliers so I resorted to slapping the side of my velocity’s bearing and one spacer against my wooden armchair arm. viola I got the bugger off. So then stick a screwdriver into the axel hole to wiggle the other spacer out of its seat. Using similar methods I removed the bearings and spacers of all 3 of them, I took my 720 bearing and popped it into my Velocity after thin lubing it without popping off the side of the bearing. I soon realized that throw after throw for about 30 minutes (pretty much till my shoulder was slightly sore) the Velocity is spinning a LOT slower. I could only sleep for 15-20 seconds. Swapping the Velocity bearing back corrected this issue, though my throw isnt great yet I could still get it to sleep for 1 min and 15-30 seconds. My question now being, Is it possible that the bearings that come stock in them are different ABEC ratings due to the fact that the 720 is a looper and the Velocity is a string trick throw?

The 720’s bearing brobably comes lubed, since its a looper. Thin lubing it will only make it spin less.

The Velocity’s stock bearing comes dry. There is no need to change it, or lube it unless it starts to get really loud.

I thought that Andre’ said Thin lubing would break down the thick lube or factory lube that is already present inside the bearing… Am I wrong?

Nope. Some factories put REALLY thick lube before sending out the yoyos. We normally want it to be less responsive and to spin longer. If you put thin lube in it, all it does is add more gunk into the bearing. You need to clean the bearing, then put a drop of thin lube on the tip of a pin, touch the pin to the one or two of the balls in the bearing, and you’re set to play.

1 Like

Ok that makes sense, thank you for clearing that up, so I shouldnt be too worried about anything due to the fact that it is my looper bearing. However cleaning and thin lubing my Velocity bearing is a really good idea :smiley:

The velocity bearing comes cleaned. Only some bearings come lubed. Once the bearing starts to get really loud, it means it may lock up on you. Then you put a drop of thin lube on the tip of a pin, and touch it to one or two of the balls in the bearing. It will quiet it down, and expand the life of the bearing.

gotcha, so leave everything be… for now :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: Man I suck tonight :stuck_out_tongue: