Bearings Qs

hi guys,
I’ve got some questions about bearings:
1- are all yoyojam bearings interchangeable between yoyos with the dame bearing size? how about axles?

I have the yoyojam legacy and eneme (just got it and it’s super sweet :-o). they’re meant to be both size C but the eneme bearing has “yyj” and “s” engraved in it, and it is WAAAY better than the legacy bearing, which barely spins for half a minute.
2- can I use the eneme bearing in the legacy? I don’t want to ruin this awesome bearing.

last question- no matter which and how much lube I use, as long as it’s some kind of thin lube the bearings behave the same, maybe get quieter.
3- aren’t thin lubes supposed to make bearings spin longer? am I doing something wrong? is this a problem with yyj bearings only?
thank you! :slight_smile:

Yes. Since the bearing is the same size, it can be used for any. The YYJ with the S on it is a SPEED bearing, a higher quality bearing they put in their metals. No, lubes do not make them spin longer; they just quiet it and make it less responsive some times. Also, the lube makes the bearing last longer than a dry bearing. Also, if you add too much thin lube, the bearing will become responsive.

Oh and any C sized bearing can be used on any yoyo made for C-sized bearings.

Mark

1. not all are interchangeable there are different sizes so you just have to read up on your yoyo’s. and if the they are the same size you are able to.

2. Since they are both c size yes you can.

3. Thin lubes are to make it spinner smooth thus a little longer, but if you just play with it and break it in and get a good strong throw down. And clean it every now and again it will spin a long time anyways. I personally don’t use lube in mine and they spin for long times.

interesting :o
4- but doesn’t the thin lube add lubrication= less friction= longer spins?

5- so basically the thin lube and thick lube cause the same spin time? how can it be if the thick lube has much lower viscosity?

6- also, how much time does it take to break-in a yoyo?

You’re probally putting on 2 much lube. 2 solve this just hold the lube bottle about an inch above the bearing and onlylet 1 drop get into/onto the bearing and the put the bearing onlike the tip of a pen and spin it 4 about a min,(as long as it’s at least 10 sec it doesn’t matter)
And yes you can. The S just means that it’s a different kind not size

the problem is that the bearing is very loud if I only put a drop and I’m afraid the bearing eats itself.

1 Like
  1. In theory yes, but in my experience not always the result.

2. I wouldn’t the answer to that question,

3. It depends on how much you actually play with the yoyo. I have broken in yoyos in a day and some in a week. It all depends on you. And you can usually tell because the bearing gets really loud and annoying well at least on my part it does.

That’s normal. It will get louder at first and then quieter as the lube coats all the parts along the inside of the bearing. So stay conservative with your lube use.

As for the thick vs. thin question, I think you have it backwards. Thin lube has much lower viscosity, so while they both do essentially the same thing, the thin lube (when used correctly) will act as sort of an agent to break down any clutter or anything restricting the spin. Thick lube is - as the name states - much thicker and viscous, and will make the bearing spin much slower, thus yielding a shorter spin time. It’s like running your hand through a tub of jelly.

I can’t help you much for the break-in time. I usually flick the bearing a few times until it starts to spin freely, throw a trapeze (or a pull start on my yo-yos with hubstacks) and hold it for about a minute or so and then I’m good to go.