YYF Atom Smasher or C3yoyodesign Speedaholic XX

I’m looking for thoughts and/or opinions about the two. I know they are fairly close in specs. I have played both only very little and being new to unresponsive I’m hard pressed to decide which may be the better choice. I would like to learn fingerspins as well as string tricks, I can do basic binds, breakaway throws, and can catch it on the string. Both have fingerspin cups but the Atom Smasher looks more funneled, the Speedaholic has a wider catch zone for string tricks.

I should mention that I own both of these.

Please let me know what you think.

1 Like

If you have both of them shouldnt you be able to compare them on your own?

Thank you for your very helpful reply. As I said being new to this type of play I was hoping those with more experience could shed some light on which might be the better one to start with.

1 Like

They’re both good, it’s really up to you which you prefer

1 Like

If you’re new to unresponsive, you can’t go wrong with either. Both will get you through your starter trick ladder of choice. I don’t own the Atom Smasher, but the Speedaholic XX is a fingerspinning beast, and the dimple very strongly locks you in place. My other comparable is the Shooting Star and honestly the differences are super small.

1 Like

Got it my dude. Yeah the best way would be to switch about and see what tricks are comfortable with what yoyo. I dont think there is a correct answer here its all just preference.

1 Like

I own and have played a lot of plastics, and the Speedaholic XX is the best so far. It plays as good as some of my delrin throws.

1 Like

The Atom Smasher is an injection molded plastic yoyo, while the Speedaholic XX is machined polycarbonate.

Two very different manufacturing process, with the machined poly (speedaholic) being the more precise and usually more expensive method of manufacturing, as its turned down on a lathe like aluminum and delrin yoyos are. This (along with the great design) is why the speedaholic is leaps and bounds smoother than most other plastics.

3 Likes

Speedaholic XX is a very good plastic throw! I haven’t played the Atom Smasher so i can’t comment on it but you can’t go wrong with the XX.

1 Like

I intend on getting the Speedaholic one day. I have the Atom Smasher and I like it. I love the finger spin cup on the Atom Smasher, I do notice for myself the decreased spin time when I am shuffling between that and my Shutter and IQ. I know it shouldn’t be compared to those but my normal relaxing combo routine, I know I have to pay attention to spin or I won’t finish.

That will be my comparison when I get the Speedaholic.

1 Like

Speedaholic is awesome. It just got knocked out of my top 5 because I picked up a couple of ODs. It’s right behind my Grasshopper GTX—just that good!

1 Like

I also have both and I’m thowing them for a while now. Personaly, I like Speedaholic XX a lot more than Atom Smasher. It feels more stable, better to fingerspin and its also really good for finger grinds, considering its a plastic yoyo.

First off, I think both yo-yos are super great and do very well for what they are designed for. It also just comes down to preference, shape you like, and what you are trying to do. Also price point!

You can’t really go wrong with either. Even though they are both similar, they both have different feelings on the string. The Speedaholic XX feels heavier, while the Atom Smasher is floatier. I prefer lighter yo-yos so i dig the Atom Smasher, its very easy to go at a fast pace, and in my opinion is one of the best finger spinning plastic yo-yos I have ever used. It just sticks when you miss! Also it cost less lol.

The Speedaholic XX is also a beast though I must say, it is heavier and spins a little longer. Finger Spins pretty good as well. It depends on what you are going for. If you like the heavier feeling yo-yos I’d go with Speedaholic XX, but a lighter throw the AtomSmasher for sure.

Also colorways have a factor when I choose LOL!

I’ve gotten more play time on both and they both have a different feel to them. The Atom Smasher feels better in the hands and I find I throw it more smoothly, the XX feels chunky and I get more wobble when I throw it. I’m a ways off from fingerspins but feel like the Atom Smashers cup design may help.

I think I will put my focus towards the Atom Smasher until I hone my skills.

Thanks for all the input.

1 Like