Yoyos at Disneyland?

I read somewhere a fee weeks about about yoyos getting taken away at Disneyland? I guess because they sold them and don’t want outside throws in the park? Any truth to this?

I’m on my way to disneyland right now, should i leave my throw in the hotel?

2 Likes

I guess they might think you could hit someone with it

I would say not to bring it just in case they would feel the need to take away your expensive yo-yo.

I’ve been to Disney numerous times with my yoyo on me and I never had a single problem with security at all. I think you should be perfectly fine but it’s best not to risk it if you think it’s still going to be taken away :confused:

3 Likes

If you bring a wood yoyo it won’t be detected by a metal detector and you can bring a yoyo nearly anywhere you go. I’ve brought a cheap wood yoyo in many “secure” places this way.

I can’t vouch for Disney and what they would do with a yoyo that did get a hit on a metal detector but if you have a bag on you or like me have kids and use a stroller putting your yoyo in a pouch in a bag or the bottom of a stroller gets it anywhere your going no one checks that thorough. Especially when you have kids security waves you through so much easier.

6 Likes

Duncan has an inexpensive Crossed Flag Imperial yoyo.

1 Like

I had no issues bringing yoyos (two) to Disneyland last time I went

1 Like

I’ve heard Disneyland is oddly weird about it.
I only ever do Disney WORLD, and have never had an issue in decades of bringing yoyos into the parks. Once a cast member even gave me an anytime Dream FastPass for doing tricks while I walked through Frontierland. I probably have at least 100 pics of various yoyos at the Orlando parks lol.

11 Likes

If they have a issue; They wont take it away.

They will “Ask” you to return it to your car or Hotel. This is a Rhetorical Question accompanied by a Security Cast member passively ensuring it happens.

My example of this was with a small pocket knife.

I have seen people at Disneyland and California Adventure Playing 1A with Unresponsives in the park.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice Ed :laughing::rofl:

3 Likes

I would definitely try to bring wood or plastic. I really don’t think they’d ever take it away, worst case they’d make you bring it back to your car or locker which might be a trek depending on what security line you’re in. But if you tell them it’s a mental health thing they should let you keep it no questions asked.

3 Likes

Well, only brought one throw with me and it’s titanium… so. No way i’ve ever let anyone take it from me. But i think i’ll just leave it in my bag and if there is metal detectors… i’ll have show them what’s up with 5A.

Update: not worth bringing. Got the yoyo into the park but there’s just no good opportunities to even think about throwing. I thought there was going to be down time but… it’s crazy in that park. Lol Better to keep it at the hotel where it’s for sure safe.

10 Likes

I would literally get kicked out of Disney land if they tried to take one of my throws, not a chance. Haha

2 Likes

I had a struggle experience at Disneyland with my yoyo today. It led to an unexpected and quite frustrating situation with security and I had to leave with out even getting to Visit Disney today.

Here’s the video of my struggle

2 Likes

Crazy. They let me through no problem at all. Showed it to them and everything

So they’re worried that it will steal Disney’s thunder/ruin the magic? Sounds like they’ve gotten even more anal about it since I last brought a yoyo or kendama in (in which at the time, sold on property, had literally purchased both in downtown Disney at the time). They had just told me “just make sure you don’t play with it in the park” at the time (around 2015/16)

Surrender for disposal? Hard pass (you know they’ll probably keep it for themselves)
And as you noted, sucks for travelers who may not have a room close by or resorted to public transit/ride shares to get to the park.

That’s absurd. This is why I bring wood yo-yos into places time this they can’t detect them nor find them so they never get to say anything to me about it.

Still messed up sorry that happened to you.

Crazy considering I’ve been in and out of every Disney World park in Nov & Dec and literally no one said a word to me! Sorry you had to deal w that.

5 Likes

I went to Disneyland, Disney World, and Universal Orlando within quick succession in the fall. I made a lengthy reddit post about my success (or lack thereof) taking kendamas and yo-yos into the parks. I’ve copied and pasted it below for posterity.

Disneyland: I was in Disneyland September 27-30, 2023. Disneyland has security checkpoints where they inspect every bag before guests are allowed into either Disneyland or Disney California Adventure. Some security personnel are more lax than others, but both times I tried to bring a kendama in my bag they found it and told me they would have to confiscate it, or alternatively I could run it back to the hotel (thankfully we were staying close so that’s what I did). On a semi-related note, security personnel also hassled me about my yo-yo a couple of times (which hasn’t happened previously in the 10 years I’ve been bringing a yo-yo to Disneyland). They didn’t take it away, but they told me I couldn’t take it out in the parks.

I did discover a way to sneak in a kendama that’s pretty fool proof (this would also work for a yo-yo). Feel free to DM me for details if you’re interested. It’s worth noting that I’ve never had security inside either park bother me about my yo-yo or kendama (although I usually play with a kendama or yo-yo while waiting in line among a pretty big family group).

Disney World: I was in Disney World October 13-15, 2023; I visited all four parks and Disney Springs. Disney World has scanners that guests walk through that seem to pick up on metal objects of a certain size/consistency. Guests have to go through these scanners when entering any park or Disney Springs. If a scanner trips then guests are subject to an in-depth, Disneyland-style bag search. I had a scanner trip one time (entering Animal Kingdom), but the security guard that inspected my bag didn’t comment on my kendama or my metal yo-yo. (I assume it was my yo-yo that tripped the scanner, but the guard didn’t comment on it, and I’m not sure why it didn’t trip scanners the other times).

Universal Orlando: I was in Universal Orland October 11-12, 2023. Universal Orlando has security checkpoints with airport-style x-ray machines before guests are allowed into either Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure. Security personnel didn’t comment on my yo-yo either day. I didn’t bring a kendama to Universal Orlando because it’s a lot harder to roll around Universal with a larger bag, but given how perfunctory security seemed, I don’t think they would have any issues with kendamsa.

Conclusion: Disneyland hates kendamas and increasingly seems to dislike yo-yos; Disney World doesn’t care; Universal Orlando probably doesn’t care.

1 Like

Have kids put your stuff in the stroller and enjoy your yo-yos. Also wood is less likely to get caught.