Yoyorecreation Double Release! Overdrive Draupnir & Onslaught!

Releasing Saturday 8/1 @ 8PM EDT!

Releasing Saturday 8/1 @ 8PM EDT!

7 Likes

That is my kind of shape :heart_eyes:

1 Like

These look very nice, I love that royal blue!

I have a question: Why are YYR products priced so much higher than other comparable products? The Overdrive looks very nice but I can’t help but notice that it is machined in China (perhaps by FPM?). That being said, some of the machine shops in China (like FPM) have reputations of being excellent and have state of the art techniques and machines. But a lot of other great yoyos are being machined in the same (or equally good) shops and are up to half the price of the YYR yoyos. For example, Duncan has been putting out stellar bi-metals lately and they are more than half the price of these throws (now it can be argued that the recent Duncan flagships have been underpriced). If the production costs are comparable then what justifies the higher price point?

3 Likes

I think It’s a brand name thing. Much like in the fashion industry, the same quality can fetch different prices under different names.

3 Likes

That’s what I figure as well.

Also keep in mind that Japanese products are price-boosted, even for their own domestic marketplace. If the Overdrive Draup had not been machined in China, it would have been priced nearly $100 higher. You can usually tell if a YYR yoyo is manufactured in Japan or if it has been outsourced to China by whether or not it costs > $200. :wink:

2 Likes

And don’t forget the Onslaught is a 3 piece design - Aluminum body, Steel ring, Plastic rim. More pieces = more complex assembly = more defects = higher price.

4 Likes

I would think that if the addition of a plastic rim was that significant to production costs, the Onslaught would cost more than, say, a Valkyrie or a Sputnik, but it doesn’t. YYR’s pricing makes sense, but only to them.

3 Likes

Lmao. Yeah it’s fair for a new brand with less pieces per run to price higher, or Japanese machining, but when it’s made in China and they have the capacity to do larger runs and it’s still expensive, it’s them milking their fan base,

2 Likes

what does Lmao mean?

1 Like

Pm’ed

4 Likes

Why would they lower the price when their stuff sells out in seconds? They could get away with charging even more given the crazy demand.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s ultimately the answer to the question:

Q: Why are YYR yoyos priced so high?

A: Because that’s what the market will bear.

6 Likes

What is the plastic ring good for?

it saves weight, so they can push it towards the center and out. in summary, it gives it more stability and speed. you can also tell when you are doing regens. it makes them easier and smoother. and it increases catchability.

3 Likes

both on the string and when you physically catch it

1 Like

Thank you. I think I misunderstood the design. Which part of the yoyo is the plastic part? I always thought it was the outermost ring?!

it is

its purpose is mainly to make the yoyo seem bigger without putting any of that weight on the outside. it makes it faster, easier to maneuver, more stable, etc

2 Likes

did I make that seem confusing?

No it’s helpful, thanks :slight_smile:

I thought for stability the heaviest part should be outside, so the steel rims. But I guess it should be that stable and the plastic is outside