Yoyorecreation 2014 Line Up Review

On 5/2/2014, Yoyorecreation announced three new yoyos: Triad, Diffusion, and Negator. Today, I will be reviewing all three of these yoyos, as well as comparing them to a relative yoyo.

http://i.imgur.com/5SZgJd2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8xdopUV.jpg
The 2014 Yoyorecreation yoyos

Triad

Weight: 66.3g
Diameter: 55.1mm
Width: 43.2mm
Bearing Size: C

The Packaging:

The yoyo came in no packaging. The yoyos I purchased (2 triad, 2 diffusion) were bubble wrapped and separated in the bubble wrap. This is probably because it was just released. I am not picky about these types of things, and it does not really make much sense to me for them to use the yoyorecreation boxes for their “lower lineups.”

Initial Throw and Feel:

The yoyo felt a bit weird to pick up. The intense V shape similar to that of a Draupnir. The throw seems to be extremely heavy and solid, yet plays extremely fast. The stainless steel weight rings allows the yoyo to have more aggressive weight distribution, and create a sense of heavy stability never before seen on a plastic yoyo. The throw reminded me a lot of a plastic version of a Draupnir.

http://i.imgur.com/Rsr9aI0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yMu9YMP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RkSSNMl.jpg

Triad and Draupnir

Response:

The Triad came with the old yoyorecreation silicone pads. I noticed after about a day that these slipped. I swapped the response out with irpads, and they immediately became a lot better, outputting every single one of your inputs correctly.

After 1 Week:

The yoyo feels extremely comfortable. Because I am so used to playing with a pure V shape from the pulsefire, the switch was not too hard for me. Although it does seem to not be very forgiving on bad throws, it plays very well when you do have a good throw. Don’t throw poorly! This yoyo destroys many metal yoyos, as well as pretty much all hybrid and virgin plastic yoyos in terms of pure performance.

Some Setbacks:

The yoyo, although extremely high performing, does have some setbacks. The bump that surrounds the threads of the yoyo do not allow completely centered fingerspins. This would normally not be a problem, but the rims on the yoyo are serrated. This makes it too easy for one to catch their finger on the side of the yoyo, causing a lot of spin loss, and potentially a hurt finger.

Final Conclusion:

This yoyo is the best plastic metal hybrid currently out on the market, able to outperform many metal yoyos, as well as all the plastic and hybrid yoyos. One must take precaution when doing tricks, especially fingerspins, as this yoyo is not very forgiving.

Final rating: 9.75/10

Diffusion:

Weight: 65.2g
Diameter: 58mm
Width: 43.25mm
Bearing Size: C

The Packaging:

The yoyo came in no packaging. The yoyos I purchased (2 triad, 2 diffusion) were bubble wrapped and separated in the bubble wrap. This is probably because it was just released. I am not picky about these types of things, and it does not really make much sense to me for them to use the yoyorecreation boxes for their “lower lineups.”

Initial Throw and Feel:

They completely changed the diffusion. The previous one can not, and should not be associated to the new one. The yoyo felt extremely organic to pick up. It reminded me of a dazzler, where there is an implied organicism in the yoyo, while still maintaining a V shape. The curves on the yoyo are extremely smooth. I can kind of see that the yoyo is supposed to be a plastic imitation of the dazzler, although larger and a bit wider. The first throw reminded me a lot of how I felt when I played with the dazzler. It sat there, waiting for you. The yoyo had a sense of stability that made it feel like I was playing with a rock. The weight distribution was excellent, and the yoyo was an overall pleasure to play with.

http://i.imgur.com/e8t1NCz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rFqJI7W.jpg
side by side old diffusion and new

Response:

The Diffusion came with the old yoyorecreation silicone pads. I noticed after about a day that these slipped. I swapped the response out with irpads, and they immediately became a lot better, outputting every single one of your inputs correctly.

After 1 Week:

The yoyo still feels extremely great. This yoyo is slightly more forgiving on throws, and whatever axis you throw the yoyo at, it will stay on that axis. The yoyo has a great fingerspinning area, and it lets you fingerspin better than any plastic yoyo, and possibly better than some metal yoyos on the market today. This is, without question, the best pure plastic yoyo on the market today.

Some Setbacks:

The yoyo, although extremely high performing, does have some setbacks. The fingerspin area on the yoyo is extremely shallow, which requires you to be extremely precise on your catches. Otherwise, the yoyo is great.

Final Conclusion:

This is the best plastic yoyo out on the market today. For 35 dollars, you can purchase a yoyo that outperforms most other yoyos, including many metals. There are some fine tuning that this yoyo could have had, but otherwise, it still plays amazing.

Final rating: 9.5/10

Triad or Diffusion?

A lot of people have been asking if the Triad is worth the extra money compared to the diffusion. The answer is:

Depends what you are looking for.

The triad is for sure better in terms of competitive play, but the diffusion is a lot more relaxed. If I were to compete in 1a, I would for sure choose the Triad between the two, because it is more competition driven to me. The more aggressive rim weighting makes the yoyo much more intense to play. However, the Diffusion is a lot more relaxing, and requires less strength and effort to play with it, lessening fatigue.

All around, I would rate the Triad slightly better than the diffusion, but nevertheless, both yoyos are great.

Negator:

Weight: 56g
Diameter: 58mm
Width:37.5mm
Bearing Size: K

The Packaging:

The yoyo came with the yoyorecreation box, with the plastic divider. I personally liked the cotton filling at the bottom, but that’s just me.
Loops and Hops:

The yoyo loops extremely consistently, and has a sense of control. The yoyo is much heavier than most loopers, with a thicker body. In addition, this yoyo lacks sidecaps of any type, whether built in or not. Generally, this is a concern to looping yoyos. However, somehow the negators made it work. It plays extremely nice, and it for sure does not loop like it is nearing 56 grams.

Body Composition:

http://i.imgur.com/Qgl9Vhk.jpg
The guts on the Negators

This yoyo reminds me of a reverb, but with starbursts. The inside are shown as below. I do not know what this does, but it is extremely annoying when you get a knot inside the yoyo, cause it gets stuck in the little recess. However, it must do something good for the yoyo because the negators and the reverbs have them.

http://i.imgur.com/qpwPXmR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NmjhZy6.jpg
Side by side of Raider, Negator, 1080
Wraps:

This is where the negators shine. This yoyo can handle wraps so well, it’s ridiculous. The way that the yoyo plays when it wraps is so easy it’s almost like cheating. The yoyo is so stable, spins forever, and doesn’t lose its axis.

Tanglers:

The yoyo, because it spins forever, works so well for tanglers. The sleeptime is consistent, and it just plays extremely well.

Maintenance:

This is where the Negators fall short. While I understand why Kengo chose to use a double nut axle system, it still gets annoying. Many raiders are broken, with the axle inside the halves, because of the mod. To avoid any parts falling inside, the double nut axle system was used. This also prevented any yoyos from falling apart. (John Ando 2006 Worlds most notable) To take the yoyo apart, one must use two 7mm hex nut drivers. Adjustment is done the same way too. This guarantees accurate adjustment with enough finesse to match the loop 1080 series.

Is it worth the price?

These are the most expensive loopers on the market, at over 5 times the amount of the most expensive injection molded looper. Are they worth the price?
No.

Price performance wise, the raider blows this out of the water. However, there is a noticeable difference between a raider and this yoyo. Purchasing this yoyo is still justified if you want the best of the best, but otherwise, raiders would suffice.

2 Likes

Great job. Very informative overview of the new releases. Thanks for doing it :slight_smile:

Would you say the Triad is more heft or float?

I would say it is more on the hefty side, but it for sure is not heavy or strenuous to move around.

Do these new plastics have a vibe?

My Triad is dead-smooth.

Like most heavily rim-weighted yoyo’s, however, bad-throws can cause vibe through the string rubbing the response area during the breakaway. Under those circumstances, most yo-yo’s will just tilt. Heavily rim-weighted yo-yo’s want to remain stable in the plane they were thrown in. This can cause a vibe that is due to the tendency to want to stay straight vs. the new forces induced by the string’s friction on the response. I have found a quick adjustment to the hands can usually do-away with this vibe easily.

Bottom line: if you throw it straight; it is smooth as glass.

And how is with your Diffusions? I tried three in local store and all had little, but quite noticeable vibe.

Sweet! If you had to pick…
Triad or diffusion?

Sounds great, I hope I could get one when I go to SpinGear this summer.

after a bit horizontal

So sharp edge of metal ring cut strings?

yeah, YYR put warning on their website, hopully they will solve this problem for future runs, I’d love it to be my carry around

You write like a lawyer; its boring to read.

And you write like a 10 year old

I’m not writing reviews.

This is exactly how I like reviews to be written, easier for me to understand :wink:

You can’t even tell it’s your second language, when I speak French you can, but it’s mostly because I can’t roll my 'R’s.

wud u prefr me 2 talk lik dis in mi nxt revuu?? i kan 4 u

Nah, just try to be less serious and copy paste-y.

I thought the write up was nice. Detailed and concise. They look like good designs. For the price they also look hard to beat.