Yoyoing isnt a sport... sorry guys

Honestly I don’t think yoyoing is technically a sport. However, I don’t know enough about the innards of the yoyoing world so maybe someone can help.

To constitute a olympic sport, there must be a world wide organization that governs that particular event. For example: Air rifle shooting has the ISSF which stands for international shooting sports federation.
I don’t think yoyoing has this but I’m not sure.

Second: To have a truly competitive event, a sport must have an official rule book. To host a competition the judges must be trained.
At yoyo competitions, I know there is a rule book, but is it used world wide? I know for a fact that not all judges at yoyo competitions are trained professionals. often times sponsored players themselves are judges.

Also, a sport must have a significant amount of people WORLDWIDE who entertain that sport. There are indeed yoyoers all over the world, but it’s not like baseball. Baseball is not an olympic sport(anymore), but it is still a sport. It has hundreds of thousands of players. Yoyoing has less than 1000 serious competitve players I’m guessing?

Last, a sport needs to have world/national competition. Yoyoing has that one in check

Until yoyoing has a worldwide organization that governs the community, and creates an official rulebook (with judges trained in that rulebook) yoyoing cannot technically be a sport.

As for the physical part of sports… You don’t have to be strong in Air Rifle, infact your trying NOT to use muscles, yet it still an olympic sport. Does pingpond require strength? That is an olympic sport… So to say a sport must have phyiscal strength involved is not really a fair definition. Yoyoing has potential to be a sport, but it is not.

This is what i was trying to say.

Yoyoing very well could be a sport, BUT HERE’S THE THING, it’s not.

Alright guys, sorry if this came out wrong, but i was just trying to state my OPINION.

And her it is:
If you try hard enough, you could consider ANYTHING a sport.

So, yoyoing is a sport, just as long as walking and sitting down and tag and nerf and vacuuming and writing papers are.

Please, stop making me feel like a lump of @$%&, and go plant a tree or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ALsr0vPK4

Tell me that this aint physical.

I dare you.

Kthxbai.

2 Likes

Well you started the thread, so basicly you asked for it…I am having fun sitting back and watching the show, hehe.

1 Like

That would have probably came out better if you stated it as your opinion in the first post. Instead it’s worded as fact. One thing you need to learn, if you put yourself out like this, be prepared to have a debate with answers you don’t like. It’s not picking on you. Us “Adults” did not come here looking for a kid to pick on. You stated it came from Webster and I offered up an easy link to their own dictionary site to refute what you state. Thats all.

This same topic was already discussed to death before also. Yoyoing is whatever you want it to be due to the individualistic nature.

I agree that we are feeding into this, but I’m bored. Yoyoing is a lot of things, a sport, a hobby, a skill and so on. It is a sport by definition because it requires skill and encompasses competition among those who do it at a professional level. If you do it long enough, you’ll break a sweat too. I watch poker sometimes on ESPN. Ever ask yourself why poker or pool are on ESPN? They are considered sports that are competitive. Poker is not an athletic sport, but a sport of the mind. Think about it. Among sports…different ones require a different level of physical exertion. Basketball is a lot more rogorous than golf arguably but who cares? They are both sports without a doubt. On the physical side of things yoyoing requires less physically than a lot of others, but still requires arm strength and hand eye coordination. So there hmph.

The yoyoing IS, because if you can touch it, it is physical :stuck_out_tongue:

The backflips/ exaggerated movements/ headstands/ gymnastics are amazing though.

I honestly don’t know why pool and poker are on ESPN…

And yoyoing doesnt necessarily REQUIRE arm strength or hand eye coordination, like if you use a Brain yoyo, it comes up on its own, and if you just DROP certain yoyos, they WILL come back up( Not an unresponsive yoyo, a normal one).

oh, I didn’t know that, I’m quitting right now!

2 Likes

yoyoing DOESN’T require hand eye coordination?!?!?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? and we arnt talking about auto return yoyos, we are talking about competition, unresponsive play. not saying that responsive play doesn’t take skill. First time trying to land man on the flying trap ease, took me hundreds of attempts before I got it down. then go ito more complicated tech tricks.

Hand a yoyo to a random person on the street, a responsive one, and I bet they couldn’t throw it down, and catch it the first try.

Cheers,

just broke out my character sheet and 20 sided die. its time to vanquish a troll.

Physical activity requiring skill = Sport, no matter how mundane you define it.

13 Likes