YoyoFactory Horizon - New Paul Kerbel Signature

Just tell us how it plays!!!

Got to try Mike Ferdico’s Horizon at Triple Crown and I was a bit let-down by it. I normally love the way YYF stuff plays, but this felt kinda bulky and cheap to me…

BUT! Mike was doing some amazing stuff with it and really loved it - so your mileage may vary.

Hmmm…if Mike was digging it, that’s huge. It’s really got me curious now. I know we can expect a great promo video from YYF, with Paul throwing it and showing it off.

Yep. :wink:

1 Like

I knew it!  We can always count on Da Fact’ry.  That video was great!  :)  Every time they drop a promo video, I watch it like five times back to back.  The video background totally matches the name of the yo-yo…that’s too cute.

So when I saw the YYF vid for the Horizon last night, I saw him do a 3A Tangler. I went to YYF’s ask.fm and questioned them about it. Apparently Paul does 3A in his free time and has a cool photo to prove it using I think was a pair of 2012 Genesii. YYF says they’re gonna ask him about competing in 3A so there’s a chance we might see him compete in 3A, maybe even with Horizons?

^ That sounds cool, it would be nice to see another 3A player on YYF team. Good observation on your part. I bet a lot of people will be waiting to see.

With minor sizes differences it looks just like a Shutter.

We aren’t looking at the same yoyo, then. :wink: “Minor differences?” More like “there are a few passing similarity to the Shutter” but they aren’t really that close at all.

YYF Shutter Specs:
Diameter: 56 mm / 2.20 inches
Width: 44.40 mm / 1.74 inches
Weight: 67.8 grams
Bearing Size: Size C (.250 x .500 x .187) CBC SPEC Bearing
Response: 19 mm CBC Silicone Slim Pad

YYF Horizon Specs:
Diameter: 59 mm / 2.32 inches
Width: 42 mm / 1.65 inches
Weight: 67.5 grams
Bearing Size: Size C (.250 x .500 x .187) CBC Center Trac Bearing
Response: 19 mm CBC Blue Slim Pad

The Shutter is in the full size category and is 2.4 mm wider than the Horizon, 0.3 g heavier, and has a more straightforward shape having less steps.

The Horizon is in the oversized category and is 2.4 mm narrower than the Shutter, 0.3 g lighter, and has a more complex shape and more obvious steps.

They have completely different specs and shape from each other. They are not that close.

1 Like

Plus the cup is different.

1 Like

Rixtify, I am glad you found the specs. I guess looks can be deceiving, Thank you.
And thank you GregP for your info.

Even the looks are different, though. :wink:

I concur. Photo credit from Yoyofactory ask.fm page:

Horizon vs. Shutter. As stated, different size, shape and weight.

http://photo1.ask.fm/704/974/728/150003025-1rp3boh-7tk3emiof72ecj5/preview/file.jpg

1 Like

With the photo you can really see the difference. Now I have something to think about.

Just ordered mine!

Is the Horizon good for fast play or is it better for a more relaxed style?

Disclaimer: I’ve never played one.

It’s big and it’s heavy-ish. Not two things I think of for “fast play”. But I mean, lots of “fast”/“light” yoyos are 65g… the amount of effort it takes to push around an extra 2.5g is appreciable but not the end of the world. Watch the Kerbel promo, and you can see that it’s not just lazily moving around. The yoyoer will determine how fast it goes!

If you truly want a yoyo that lends itself to zippy play, though, there have got to be better options.

Now, the dilemma is what color to get. I want to buy more gold throws, but then there appears to be the perfect shade of red too.

#throwrich