YoYoCase!?

Ok so if I were to make my own yoyo case what would be the best way to go about it? Where can I find a soft, semi hard or hard case and where can I find the foam insert for the inside? Good quality dense foam…

For finding a semi hard foam, try looking on your local pet store see if they sell sponge filter for aquarium.

2 Likes

I have bought high density foam from a national sewing/craft chain store. Sold by the linear foot and comes in various thicknesses up to several inches. The quality is good, but I’ve only see light colors.

2 Likes

The biggest thing that was hard for me was finding the right foam. You can get “acceptable” foam at most craft stores. They usually only carry white/green/gray, its also more difficult to cut because its softer.

The YoYo cases you purchase online usually have high density charcoal foam. You can find it lots of places but I have used https://www.foambymail.com/ before and its been great. Shipping sucks though so buy more than you need to have it for later. High density foam is easy to cut holes in and very very very durable with little to no shedding long term. For cutting foam using a tomato paste can really is great, running a 2 inch hole saw in reverse also works too.

I would suggest looking at cases listed for guns/fishing for the body; they are often waterproof and cheaper than other cases for some reason.

5 Likes

How many do you need to store? I actually just bought a sochi 12 yoyo case but now that you mention it I should have just adapted another case to suit it. Before I got a proper case for my warhammer army I used cheap Plano 4 pistol cases. Not waterproof but still only 10 bucks and enough foam to do the job.

2 Likes

I made this from a double handgun case I bought at Dunhams sports store. I change out the foam to a denser foam that came out of a large rifle case. I cut it to shape using the original foam as a template. I layed out the spacing and the took a cordless drill with a 2 inch hole saw running backwards so it doesn’t snag. I then hot glued it into the case. I bought a roll of toolbox drawer liner and cut it to the same shape, this keeps the upper and lower throws from touching. The foam insert that are in the empty holes came from a store bought case.

9 Likes

I adapted a Pelican wannabe pistol case from Harbor Freight. On sale it was under a saw buck so I have more than one.

7 Likes

I love the Altoid tins and dedicate slots. I’m glad to see other folks use them for storing yoyo supplies!

1 Like

Battling Top Case Compatible with Beyblade Burst Battling Games and Other Mini Toys.(CASE ONLY) Amazon.com

I used this as a case for a while, until it got stepped on by someone 6’5" 350, and the top cracked. Since then I made one out of a billiards wooden case, but I just figured I’d share that it’s simple and affordable if anyone is looking for one.

3 Likes

Freshly Dirty is coming out with a swanky hard case soon, called the FD50. Not sure what the pricing will be but it’s going to be an official case made for yoyo storage.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, they have many cases. The classic aluminum and wood case like the old vault cases from back in the day are sold there. They have pre-cut foam you can tear it out in the shape you want. They also have tough plastic molded cases similar to the pelican case. They are deeper but super sturdy.

I would suggest going into the store though to check them out first. I have seen different sizes of the aluminum banded case at my local Harbor Freight, they aren’t listed on the website for some reason. Same goes for the hard case, I’ve seen flatter and more slimline cases too, but they aren’t on the website. Your store might be the same way. :person_shrugging:

18-inch HF case
Pelican style case
Bigger Pelican style case

They sell this bin cases as well that have removable “bins”. You can get foam and cut it to size and make a pretty sturdy, yet affordable case out of it as well. Bin case

They also sell various size storage cases that are great for holding parts like axles, bearings, etc. and they are stupid cheap.

For the foam, look for “Polyurethane” foam. Here’s a decent resource, this one would also work well. I have purchased from caseclub before and have had a decent experience.

7 Likes

The pre order dropped this morning! Can’t wait for this to come in :smile: 99.99$ for those wondering!

2 Likes

I really wanted this freshly dirty case but the shipping to the UK is more than the case itself :cry: rip

1 Like

After missing both the pre and general release of the fd50 I’m just gonna make my own. I appreciate this post cause this sets me on the path and gives me an excuse to stop by harbor freight which is my wife’s least favorite place for me to traverse to :rofl:

1 Like

How quickly did they sell out again?

No idea they dropped last night at 5pm and I was busy when I checked this morning they where gone. I would assume pretty quick.

1 Like

I think on Freshly Dirty instagram they said to check out yoyoexpert in a while cause they might be selling here, so you could also wait and see if you can get one once released here.

I’d provide some proof of the post, but my phone won’t let me take screenshots from instagram, but it’s up there if you want to see it.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Tenkies!

1 Like

Same - looked at the drop yesterday… $100 for the case… $100 for shipping :sob:

Does anyone have an old case or possibly want to make me a case that will fit 8 60mm yo-yos. Love my big yoyos but hate not having a home for them

2 Likes