Yoyo Wisdom

ok wise one. please show me your rusty bearings.

again i have never, in the 20 or so years i’ve been throwing, seen a rusty yoyo bearing.

can it happen? sure buddy, it can. if you use cheap bearings from a questionable supplier and you routinely throw on the beach or in harsh environments you may see some corrosion. if you sweat to the point of saturating your string, you could see issues.

decent quality stainless will not rust under the conditions they are used in this hobby. stainless is susceptible to other types of corrosions but not rust. rust is the result of iron interacting with the oxygen in the atmosphere causing ferrous oxide. unless your stainless isn’t really stainless, you will not see rust. hold a magnet near it. does the magnet stick to the metal? then it’s low quality stainless, at best, and you could have issues.

from the link you posted:
“When compared to other metals and alloys, stainless steel is the most resistant to corrosion and will not rust under normal environments. Stainless steel contains chromium, and when exposed to oxygen it forms a thin invisible layer called chromium oxide. Rust can form when this layer is damaged from exposure to cleaners, chloride, high humidity, high salinity environments, and/or mechanical abrasions.”

so, i reiterate my statement. if you want to take the time to remove the strings from every throw that you have, by all means do it if it gives you a false sense of hope. but it isn’t necessary. the string isn’t sealing corrosive elements in that will damage your bearings. a fraction of a drop of light oil will do far more to prevent issues than removing the strings.

thanks.

kgb

1 Like

This is an impressively ignorant statement, and it lets me know what I need to know. You don’t require facts to back up your opinions.

You have no idea who I am, what I do, what my background is, what my education is but you make a statement like this?

Your tangential argument involving car keys is likely the only thing here that is irrelevant.

I’m done here. This discussion isn’t going to provide the OP with useful info. As stated, in my experience, i have never seen a rusty bearing in a yoyo and as such i feel that taking the time to remove the strings is nothing but a waste of time. if you do it and it works for you, great.

feel free to provide the last word. you can have it.

thanks
kgb

1 Like

Spend more time Yo-Yoing than on the Social Media Sites talking about Yo-Yoing

18 Likes

All modern yoyos outperform me.

I feel like coming to that understanding has helped me find peace in this hobby to where I’m not overspending or buying a lot of yoyos anymore because I know that in truth I could go my whole life throwing a Node or Hertz and it’d still do everything I needed.

When I first came back years ago I was still under the impression that more money meant more performance, but why was I seeking more performance when I couldn’t even push a $15.00 to it’s limits. It’s helped me enjoy this hobby a lot more.

15 Likes

do people actually think that buying an expensive yoyo will make them better at yoyo?

3 Likes

Take yoyo(ing) less serious.

4 Likes

I mean I think people have the tendency to think “more expensive automatically makes it better” look at everything - Rolex tells time the same as a timex. Same thing applies when people are buying anything really, a 10k mountain bike won’t make you a better rider, sure it’s top notch quality but it doesn’t improve your skills. I think that there probably is a small sect of people within all communities that think buying more expensive will “improve” them. That “titanium yoyo” is not going to make me the next “Gentry”

This may not apply to you - which with you questioning my comment - I would say it doesn’t :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Confucius says…

Clean fingers will lead to clean strings

10 Likes

Sometimes I send a little extra money when I buy off the bst for this very reason… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Never get frustrated or mad at the yoyo. The yoyo will perform correctly if you are executing the steps correctly. If you’re getting frustrated, put it away for a bit and return when your mindset has equalized. Every session should be joyful and positive. It is a toy.

6 Likes

Yo-yoing is a journey, there is no finish line.

Meeting new friends, challenging yourself with new tricks, and creating your personal style are all things that come along the way.

Take things at your own pace, be patient, and most importantly, have fun.

:v:

6 Likes

Probably. I think there’s the idea in most hobbies bigger and better will assist.

I know the first time I got a real but metal it helped due to stability and longer spin. But didn’t make me better so to speak

1 Like

I’ve gotten mad and trashed exactly one yo-yo after practicing the same thing for awhile with lack luster results and realized how dumb it was immediately to get mad at the yo-yo.

HOWEVER I picked up another and immediately landed the trick, so either it was the throw or the others learned the lesson

3 Likes

What a great reference. Love the “66 Rules”.

1 Like

Yoyo for yourself, or something

1 Like

Thx. Most important one remains #64. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

love this!

I read a passage recently about the most important part of the journey not being the destination, or even the voyage… it was all just about the company you keep.

7 Likes

I dunno ed, this thing is screaming pure sex to me

4 Likes

And if you’ve met Eddy McDonald, so much more so!

2 Likes

Be aware of the wind.

2 Likes