Best yoyo for learning tricks: working through intermediate

I’m starting to get more stable and can hit the separate strings. What throw do you think is the best for advancing trick learning? I’m talking short repeaters, simple tech, beginning whips…

Money isn’t an option, what is the perfect piece to get things moving?

3 Likes

@zslane @MoonageMin will agree I’m sure VTWO

2 Likes

There really isn’t a “best”. Do you have any specific yoyos that you’re interested in?

It really depends on how much you’re wanting to spend.
Most modern yo-yos will be way more than enough. Even yoyos that cost under $20.

My favorite throw that’s currently in stock on yye that is a super high performer is the 2sickyoyos endgame.
But that’s just me. There’s SO many amazing playing throws available…you’re going to get TONS of different suggestions as you’ll find that there isn’t a yo-yo that everyone universally considers the “best”.
Hopefully one of the suggestions is what you’re looking for :smiley:

Glad you’re enjoying the hobby! Shopping for a high end yo-yo is so much fun!!

7 Likes

Huh… That’s a weird way to say that everyone unanimously agrees TiVayder is the best yoyo :thinking:

6 Likes

Especially the green TiVayder!

Oh wait…

:weary:

4 Likes

So you guys are saying grab a TiVayder and sign up for some comps…done!

1 Like

Here’s some more high end, high performing and highly reviewed yoyos that are in stock here at YYE to consider:

Shutter & Shutter Wide Angle
Bi-Metal Shutter
Grasshopper GTX
Kuntosh 5000QV
YYF Edge
Diffraction 2
Boy

4 Likes

For learning tricks I like to prioritize power and stability above everything else. So even if you mess up the yoyo will keep spinning and stay centered, then you can figure out where you messed up.

3 Likes

The best one is where you saved some money for strings, an extra bearing, response, and thin lube. The “best” is nothing without supplies. It doesn’t exist anyway.

Almost all of the ones mentioned are fine.

3 Likes

Jokes aside, Top Deck [One Drop] is suuuper stable and powerful. Especially with a centering bearing. Might be able to find a good deal on the BST for a second hand one.

That’s just my personal recommendation.

2 Likes

Power, stability and width would be my recommendations. A rim weighted, outer ring bimetal will generally have more power and stability, but there are certainly exceptions.

1 Like

What’s your favorite outer ring that you’ve owned?

1 Like

I have the Rev 1 which I think is based on the top deck. It’s fantastic.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard nothing but great things about the Rev 1!

My 2 personal favorite outer ring bi-metals are the Hummingbird and Endgame.

The Hummingbird is amazing.

1 Like

Endgame is on its way to me😂
Thanks for the rec!

4 Likes

haha that’s awesome! You’re going to love it man! Can’t wait for you to get it!!

My absolute favorite is the Galaxy Diver, which will hopefully be dropping soon. It has fantastic stability and power, and is very wide (although the width may actually be somewhat polarizing).

The Endgame is one of the best feeling and performing bimetals, but the power is slightly less than some. It’s a fantastic throw, so you will certainly enjoy it.

For recommendations specifically for learning, I would consider the Grasshopper GTX, Trident, Banshee SS, Leopard EX, or Start the Riot.

2 Likes

My recommendation would be the One Drop Top Deck, but you would most likely need to swap out the flat bearing for a centering bearing. The only reason I don’t usually recommend a VTWO is because I’m reluctant to push a V shape on someone without first knowing if they even like V shapes (just like I don’t recommend wide yoyos unless the person expresses a preference for wide yoyos). The Top Deck, on the other hand, has a super comfortable shape that just about anyone would love, and it is a performance beast.

6 Likes

Came here to recommend the Top Deck but it looks like several people beat me to it :joy:. Also the Top Deck would be somewhat redundant with the Rev1 if you’re looking for something different.

I’d recommend the TopYo Dominator. Wide enough, good power, affordable, great shape.

3 Likes

Honestly, I prefer the Rev 1, which he already has. It’s got about the same power, but it’s more comfortable with a slightly larger radius rounding of the rims, and the angle of the rims is slightly steeper approaching the edge, making for a wider effective catch zone without increasing the width. It’s also cheaper and slightly lighter.

3 Likes