Best 'Trick Learning' Throw?

Hey guys hope everyone is having a great weekend!

I was just curious to hear your guys’ thoughts and opinions on what you think the absolute best yo-yo is to learn tricks on with. Now when I say “learn tricks” I mean new age, modern slacks and whips mostly. Something that’s going to be very long spinning, can handle a ton of string wrapped around it (large gap, etc). Something that is very stable and long spinning so you can almost sit there a minute in a mount or certain part of a trick and figure out what’s next, if that makes sense. I personally wanna take my game to the next level, but I am also a slow learner and someone that needs a yo-yo that’s forgiving and somewhat “easy” because well, most of us are not sponsored pros right, haha. Thanks in advance for any recommendations and advice!

1 Like

The new yo tricks civility is great for learning tricks

1 Like

C3 CyberCrash.

I have heard so many good things and honestly it was the first one I looked up because it was designed for everything I described, but sadly I can’t find one in stock!

1 Like

You might be able to find one on the BST

Dang really? For 30 bucks I might just snag one just cause!

1 Like

The most simple answer to this is that there isn’t really a best. There’s no silver bullet yoyo that’s best for all types of tricks, and really any modern yoyo that has any mention of performance in the description will fit what you’re asking for. You could get a 50mm wide yoyo and land your slacks and body tricks more easily, but then struggle to get the yoyo smoothly through more dense tech mounts.

Practice with whatever yoyo you have will trump having a yoyo that’s “better” for a specific thing.

2 Likes

I tend to recommend the CyberCrash because IMO it performs way above its price tier. It is comfortable in the hand, it is very stable and long-spinning, and has a nice wide catch zone thanks to its V shape. But it isn’t so wide that it will get caught up in tight tech string configurations. Unless someone has a thing against V shapes, I can’t think of a single reason not to go with a CyberCrash.

1 Like

I understand that for sure! It’s not really the throw that makes you good/better etc. But to help you get a better understanding and maybe better wording of it, I don’t currently own a throw newer than 2014-2015. So i’m kinda wondering if maybe the designs, the gap, weight distributions etc. are outdated a little? Maybe just something a little more modern and advanced, per say?

3 Likes

Oh in that case then yeah I’ll agree with @zslane in saying the Cyber Crash is a great modern option.

All of yoyofactory/c3yoyodesign/yoyofriends’ stuff over the past few years has been fantastic. The R-Type, all of the Shutter revisions, Cyber Crash, Krown, Spotlight, and pretty much any of their recent releases are great and you can’t go wrong with any of them. Just get whichever you think looks coolest, but the Cyber Crash is definitely one of the best value ones at only 30 dollars.

1 Like

I haven’t seen one thing negative on it yet. Added to the cart! Lol

1 Like

YYF Shutter. Easy to land tricks, spins good and cheap so you can smash it up and it doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

For me it’s a YYF Horizon: affordable, stable, wide, long spinning, good for finger spins. I recently aquired a YYF Shutter wide angle thats also super easy for learning as well. The only negative I can give the horizon is it’s not the most comfortable to catch sometimes.

2 Likes

I like learning tricks on mega stable bimetals since they’ll spin forever while I’m learning the steps, and because they’ll more often than not tend to stay on plane compared to a monometal. My GTR JS and Peregrine are my go tos for this. However the downside to learning tricks with (outer ring) bimetals is that if you don’t play em over carpet or soft flooring, you have the chance of banging the SS rims out of place even just a little bit, causing vibe or wobble.

2 Likes

Leaving price out, I’d say the iQ is a great throw to learn with. Super stable and long spinning. It doesn’t feel as wide as it is, and it can be as fast or floaty as you want. Really great throw all around. Amazed you can still find them in stock.

2 Likes

Top Deck. I learned almost every trick I know on it.

1 Like

How does everyone feel about CLYW? The Boy to be specific? I’ve always wanted a CLYW and I can finally afford one lol. I know they’re hard to find but I do see the Boy in stock, almost makes me wonder why it’s still available.

Butter, BiMetal Shutter

1 Like

I would have to agree with yo-yo people saying that sticking with one throw really does help getting into advanced tricks. I do not do that.

One of my many issues with trick progression. I enjoy so many different types and styles of throws. I try learning the trick or trick elements with many different designs, shapes and weights. This may be a very small part of my slow trick progression. The major reason for slow trick progression is finding quality practice time.
So I have a set of throws that I use regularly. These are the throws I start with most times.

I work out the mechanics of a trick with an M1 well loved and rims beaten and resurfaced. I feel the smaller throw help me with being accurate.

I also have an 888 I use for similar reasons to the M1. The 888 is a safe place throw sentimental reasons.

I move to my well loved blue Summit reliable throw can work most things out with it. Amazing fun throw.

I work on longer technical tricks with a bi- material Poly Edge with a full ceramic bearing it has power stability and spin time to work stuff out.

For slim profile unresponsive throws I use Panorama and Diorama both are great.

When I have learned a trick with these throws and a few others, then I start to use the collection pieces in a safe place. When I can hit the trick with all of my collection pieces I feel all is right in the world.

This is how I do it.

Everyone have a great start to the week.

7 Likes

Hendiatris. Incredible spin times and more forgiving on going off plane than anything else I’ve ever tried and it’s not even close. Light enough for extended sessions without a sore finger/wrist too.

1 Like