Best 'Trick Learning' Throw?

The best yoyo to learn on is the yoyo you have

3 Likes

That Summit though :drooling_face: This was also very insightful so thank you!

I agree, don’t bother with getting a more stable or long spinning yoyo and your tricks will end up cleaner, smoothly and generally nicer looking because of it.

Furthermore, throws from 2014 - 2015 are probably still very capable of pretty much every trick you can throw at it.

I keep bouncing between my YYF KO and Topyo Null for learning with. Neither is particularly great at anything but they’re both good all-rounders despite being very different throws. And the fact that they’re not great at any particular move is an asset in my book.

If I can master a fingerspin, for instance, on my KO or Null then when I switch to something like a Shutter it’s super easy, barely an inconvenience because I already got it down with a more difficult yoyo. It’s the same idea as walking with ankle weights.

Ivan

1 Like

Personally I use my Atmos Ari typically to learn a trick on which is part of what makes it my favorite is the amount of trick possibilities with all the nuances of it.

Or my newest acquisition to better figure out what I like about it/dislike about it but often I have swapped to my Ari so I can learn get the benefits from it.
I typically learn the first or full run through of the trick on that and then switch to my OD diorama to the ‘master it’ level since it demands that level of precision and sometimes of speed of execution just to keep spinning enough to bind. I don’t normally say internally ‘I have learned this trick’ until I have at least hit it 1 time on the diorama

I think long spin time and having a resistance to tilting off plane is normally idea for most tricks - the other considerations I normally have are the finish (cause of grinds) and if bi-metal is on the inside/outside of the yoyo. They are typically wider in my experience and typically could also be used for 5a without any real issue. Also I have only learned some on horizontal but some of these would also I suspect be solid for that from a lack of surface contact perspective. most can do finger spins with on this list too

I think though as far as what I have used I could recommend as good for learning:
monometals:
OD free solo (likely cheapest option from what I can recall on BST)
OD thorn (also can do pull starts so might even be better)
OD kraken
MFD Aotus
MFD conspiracy
MFD 2evil (as long as undersized doesn’t throw you)

bi-metals:
yoyofriends vulture (inside track nicer for palm grinds and can still talon with the finish on the slant part on the inside)
yoyofriends peregrine
yyf flame
atmos stormberry (passable but not top of list)

2 Likes

I use my grasshoppter gtx for this purpose. Mainly it just spins forever and can deal with sloppy play really well.
I actually threw it yesterday and it was still spinning this morning. That thing’s bananas

I don’t totally agree with the idea that a bimetal or anything higher end will actually make learning tricks easier.

“It spins forever” is such a common thing I see posted, and when learning horizontal, dense tech, or body elements that make plane keeping very difficult, spin time is actually going to feel incredibly limited on any yoyo you play with. In my experience with learning tricks, you won’t actually see any real performance benefits of high end bimetals while learning tricks, you’ll feel the benefits when you can push the yoyo further and play cleaner. But when learning you’re going to make bad movements that will instantly kill the spin/knock the yoyo off plane no matter what the yoyo is.

The more and harder tricks I learn, the less I see the benefit of higher end throws as a learning tool. If you wanna spend big because you just think something looks cooler, absolutely go for it, but I genuinely don’t think bimetals or anything higher end will actually make learning easier than if you were using a 30 dollar monometal. And modern monometals are just at a point where their baseline level of performance is so good that it really doesn’t matter what you’re using.

5 Likes

i like this take. a good bimetal will certainly help achieve a longer spin time than most monometals, but its not a requirement. to me the ideal “trick learning” throw is something that is comfortable for long periods of time, something that you WANT to play with (learning tricks is frustrating, sometimes big bimetals are slow and heavy, not fun), and something you’re not worried about damaging (learning tricks opens up more risk to damage if you’re learning newm ovements you’re uncomfortable with). a good wide catch zone (not a wide yoyo, width does not mean stability) helps as well, but ive learned tons of tricks on my diorama cuz i just love playing it for long periods of time.

3 Likes

If I want to learn a new trick, I usually gravitate towards the yoyo that gives me the best feel of control by having a decent pricepoint and beeing widely available so I can replace it if it gets damaged. For me the iceberg classic ticks all these boxes. But at the end of the day you have to try a couple of throws to find your training-tool of choice. Also consider some good, comfy string!

1 Like

Great point in mentioning something that’s more widely available! Also absolutely agree, good string is something I always invest in. I go Kitty Tall and Fat because I can adjust string height to my liking, and because fat is better for slacks and whips, at least in my experiences! What do you usually roll with?

i actually like to learn with high walled organic throws.

i really only use bi metals or v shaped monos for when im just jammin.

For bulk, I mainly use MonkeyFinger Vines (Fat) or Sōchí Alphaline. But to be honest, most of my throws are strung up with boutique stuff from Zipline, Bad Wolfe Co., YYSL or MarkMont atm since they usually last way longer and offer a wide variety of look and feel to find just the perfect match of yoyo and string. On my iceberg for example I love the smoothie blend from zipline or the Sochi alphalines.

1 Like

I like learning something new…with a throw that I’m not concerned about dinging so much. While learning new stuff I tend to drop my yoyo the most.

Once I have the basics of a new trick down I like to switch to a nicer, smoother throw for practising and working out the kinks.

3 Likes

The comments about using a yoyo you’re not afraid to damage are worth emphasis! Also ones that are less likely to damage you. I keep a Topyo Mojo in my bag now because I’m practicing the leg wrap trap which invites both ground and body contact, and the other day I even felt confident enough to try a few horizontal throws on it which I probably wouldn’t have done with a metal yoyo.

Ivan

4 Likes