Favorite Trick Learning Yoyo

I can’t recall if there is another topic like this and could not find one with a basic search. I also realize that everyone will have different answers and reasons why they answer the way tgey do. However I am still curious…

What is your favorite yoyo for learning new tricks? Your go to throw, one that when your stuck learning something different that when you throw it things seems to click better. What is it about that throw that helps you so much? It’s characteristics? The feel? Is it a mental/emothional thing?

3 Likes

Without a doubt my 2018 G2 AL7 Bomber Edition Banshee (haha I love typing out the mile long name).

It’s the best performing yo I’ve touched in my life. It’s powerful but nimble, fast and controlled, it spins for longer than infinity, it’s so stable that even a tornado couldn’t knock it, it’s smoother than oiled glass and the binds are easy and snappy.

I love the thing and when I’m trying new things out it’s the yo I reach for first. It just makes this so much easier.
The biggest down side to the yo…is it makes me like all my other yos just a little bit less than I would otherwise!
Nothing has compared so far!

2 Likes

Also @Jhonaker…what is your goto throw?

2 Likes

It’s really tough for me. I’m not sure. That’s part of the reason why I asked the question. When I started actually learning to throw (actually going through the YYE trick list) I was only throwing the Shutter. Now I have so many that I play with I can’t decide what to use half the time.

When I was learning some more advanced tricks I was using a Civility. I got one from someone on here that was pretty beat up but I really wanted to try one. So he sent it to me for the shipping cost.

I think it’s time to stop buying yoyos for me and learn more tricks. So I’m trying to decide which one will inspire me to learn some more.

3 Likes

Typically I use a Diffraction v2 cause it’s what I normally have laying around. It’s right in the middle of the specs & shape I like, and I’ve put a lot of time into it, so I can tell pretty easily whether I’m making a mistake (vs. a problem with the yoyo). It’s raw, though, so if I’m trying to learn something grindy I’ll grab something else, currently the sstatement. It has the same sort of shape I really like, and it’s the remy version so it has a :dog: on it.

6 Likes

I usually learn on my Protostar, but if something is really stumping me, I pull out my Grasshopper GTX. It’s so stable, spins so long, it moves exactly how I want it to. It just makes everything easier.

5 Likes

Yeah this is an argument for centering bearing and lots of rim weight for xxxtra spin time! Beyond that I guess whatever you are most comfortable playing with and have spent the most time playing?

4 Likes

I don’t really have a preference unless I’m working on horizontal. Then something a little wider and v or light w shaped with rim weight

3 Likes

I totally agree with you, honestly. When I want to try something new I need the extra spin time to think it through and go slow. I picked up the beat up Civility yesterday and it does have alot of spin time, I have a koncave bearing in itn. The weight maybe helps as well. It just seems to move a little slower and land where I expect it to.

4 Likes

OD Citizen :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Someone give me a masamaxx

3 Likes

Close enough?

3 Likes

One that spins for a really long time, so generally a competition oriented/bimetal/titanium yoyo for me. Recently its been adlib.

2 Likes

My moose, but for teaching I use the Edge Beyond

2 Likes

Toss up between Vayder, Top Deck and Kuntosh.

Preferably with a fresh string too.

3 Likes

The Kuntosh and Top Deck are great. The Vayder has really become and everyday carry for me. I carry the raw and don’t have to worry about it getting dinged up.

2 Likes

Basically anything that isnt one of my organics w/ a flat bearing since they lack the stability of having to clumsily figure out what is going on. My go-to would probably be my MFD Conspiracy, but I have often used my 2sick Promotion, Vayder, and even my Cadence ES. I honestly don’t put too much thought into it, but if im struggling ill probably rotate between these I listed.

2 Likes

I’ll isua toss my top yo dominator. It’s my most powerful and stable throw, so I can keep trying with little restarting. If the trick involves a lot of hops/ catches, I’ll use my top yo Selene, because it’s the widest throw I have

2 Likes

Absinthe is my go-to for learning tricks

Long af Spintime - wide for easy catches - high stability when compared to organics

2 Likes

Nice! I really wanted a Samurai back when they came out. I couldn’t afford it. Maybe I’ll see one on the bst someday.

1 Like