Favorite Trick Learning Yoyo

For me its either OG/OD draupnir, the 2sick castle or ti-hawk/ti-vayder depending on what I’m trying to learn. I reach for the bliss and flashback pretty often too. @MarkD 's diffraction is a great monometal for learning, and has really good blast if I’m trying to do something involving a grind. The new bimetal banshee is super stable and long spinning, I’ve been using it a lot these last few days while trying to learn slack triangle tricks.

1 Like

The superwide. I thoroughly enjoy the shape and it hits right home specwise; undersize diameter, quite weighty and wide as heck.

4 Likes

This is a little off topic, but you seem like the right guy to ask. What are your thoughts on the 1to1!? I’ve been eyeing it for a while, just not sure if I’m ready for 53mm wide! I’ve got a couple ~47mm throws and really enjoy the width. But how much is too much? Lol

2 Likes

I haven’t tried a 1to1 yet, but 53 is quite wide for many. I have a yoyo that’s close at 52,5x52,5 and I think it’s comfortable. I really have to get a 1to1 before I can really give an opinion, but the specs are pretty excellent and most likely OD can make a decent yoyo.

The width might feel a bit too much at first, but it’s real manageable after a few hours of play. If you wanna go real wide, M’Edge is like 56mm wide (like the superwide and monster) and to me, although it’s REAL wide, it’s comfy. But different strokes for different folks, amirite.

1 Like

The Atlas is a 5A champ apparently and it is almost 55mm wide.

2 Likes

Yoyoempire touchmore, g2 ghost or yoyofficer vector. Whichever i feel like using the most at them moment.

Magicyoyo n12 is killer for 5A so i use that almost exclusively.

Spinworthy Harbinger is my go to fixie for trying new stuff.

Toybania Thing is my go to responsive. If the trick focuses more on stalls than string trick elements, I’ll grab my Alleycat.

2 Likes

Word up! Thanks man, I’ll probably end up with one, cus why not? As you said, OD makes a fine product!

2 Likes

Incarnate. Thing doesn’t stop spinning and the ridiculous H shape means is has basically no inner wall. Get a BUNCH of string up in there no prob. :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

How does your bind? I have a couple of them and I’ve tried all kinds of string in them and I cannot get either one to bind reliably, and even when it does bind its really slippery. Maybe the old response pads in them have gotten hard or something. I’ve been meaning to switch them out in one and silicone the other.

1 Like

I have the 1to1, it doesn’t feel overly wide to me but I like wide throws. Another one to consider is the opyoyos 543 which is 54x54. I find the 543 to be clearly superior to the 1to1, super smooth and super stable, but mostly I like the shape better. I just got a set of brass spike side effects I’m going to try in the 1to1, I think a little more center weight will improve it.

4 Likes

PoM Diffusion with flat bearing. I tend to prefer to learn new tricks on plastic. I guess I go a little different route than most.

1 Like

Right on, I’ll take a look!

It’s important to remember that a new trick deserves respect and that nothing respects a new trick more than using a new yoyo to learn it. Besides it’s kind of a waste to purchase a new yoyo for old tricks. It works both ways. :grin:

3 Likes

Nice answer!

1 Like

Mine binds well. I use standard thickness string (afaik YYF string is equivalent to standard in thickness). and silicone mine, and it’s real snappy.

If you got a b-grade superwide, the pads in most/all were very dry so they’ll slip.

1 Like

Yeah they are both B grade, I got lucky and they play smooth. Just ano flaws. I figured the pads were toast, I’ll change the pads in one and silicone the other and see what I like better. Thanks!

2 Likes

What is your favorite yoyo for learning new tricks?

whatever yoyo is in my pocket…

Your go to throw, one that when your stuck learning something different that when you throw it things seems to click better. What is it about that throw that helps you so much?

some yoyos are ‘easier’ to use than others. balance, shape, weight, response…etc. but to answer your inquiry - changin’ yoyos to click better with tricks isn’t somethin’ i do.

It’s characteristics? The feel? Is it a mental/emothional thing?

i don’t do it. if anythin’ - dialin’ in a trick on a 10$ yoyo just makes the trick that much more consistent.

skill and talent cannot be purchased - not sayin’ i have either :slight_smile:

mgodinez

cloudy…

3 Likes

I feel ya… I also feel like I may have offended you a little. By no means do I mean ‘click’ in any other way than, when you pick up one of your throw it seems to make tricks fall in to place better. Maybe comfort with that particular throw or experience with it etc. Alos I definetely don’t imply or encourage ‘buying’ talent. Can’t do that for sure. Usually this is a yoyo that your not buying but possibly one you have had forever or a cheap one or just one that feels best.

The civility I was mentioning earlier I got from a friend on here for less than $10 because it was so beat up. But has got me through learning some new stuff while far more expensive ones sat on the shelf.

Maybe it’s a yoyo that just inspires you to throw?
That’s all I’m asking. Just pure curiosity.

I’d say stable, powerhouse yoyos lend themselves well to learning tricks, but are especially good for MAKING tricks where you need some leeway to think through what you can do from each position. Also width and size helps out depending on if you’re working on hops or dense tech etc etc

Some yoyos I think work well, Cognition(Recog is up there too), Abduction, Haymaker X, Astrea, Anomaly. Generally yoyos that lean on the heavy/stable(not mutually exclusive) side

Of course in the end to each their own in the end.

1 Like