Yoyo tilts at neutral.

I’ve heard a lot about a yoyo tilting when it is thrown, and this is mostly because the throw is bad. But my yoyo seems to just tilt not only when thrown, but just when holding it and letting it fall. I’ve tried this with my old responsive yoyo and a new unresponsive yoyo as well as new string, and it happens in both cases. Both are butterfly shaped yoyos, if that makes any difference. Is this supposed to happen, or is there some sort of other problem?

Either way it’s probably all in your release.
I’ve never heard of a bad yoyo tilting.
If a yoyo is somehow off balance it might vibe badly, but still that is usually a function of the throw.

Sorry, if this isn’t what you wanted to hear.

What yoyos are you using?

When you throw, watch which way it tilts. On the next throw twist your wrist slightly in the opposite direction. Observe the tilt and adjust the twist in your wrist accordingly on subsequent throws.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Try adjusting your string tension to neutral if it’s overly tight.

Thank you. I imagine I still need a lot of practice with throwing, but I am talking about just letting the yoyo dangle (no spin) and it just seems to always be tilting, no matter how much I readjust the tension or change strings. Is it supposed to do this, or is something else wrong? I am using an N11 MagicYoyo, btw.

It probably doesn’t have enough spin.
The more spin the more stable the yoyo. There is a good Casual Yoyo tutorial about it.

Pretty standard, gaps have enough width that the string is rarely dead center just when hanging which will cause a tilt. You will get less tilt when it’s spinning due to the gyroscopic stability.

1 Like

^ rocket scientist

1 Like

That makes sense. So really the only problem with it is that I need to practice my throw. Thank you for help.

:smiley: I had to read that a couple of times to understand it. The big words at the end confused me.

In other words, when it’s spinning, due to stuffs. (If it’s leaning one way at the top, it’ll lean the other at the bottom, counteracting any sort of imbalance.) It’s harder to unbalance it. So if you throw harder it’ll be much harder to get it to fall out of a balanced spin. And this paragraph consisted of an unbalanced usage of the word “Balanced”. Sorry if it’s too unbalancing to you guys.

If I’m not mistaken this is the casual tutorial where he talks about this.

I’d have to disagree.
Since this is an effect called precession which basically affect the yoyo 90 degrees ‘after’ the effected force. For example on record breaking long sleeper, the player twist the string one way or the other to balance the tilting of the yoyo… let that sink in for a while. You know when you twist the string on a dead yoyo, the yoyo will turn along with the string, right? but a spinning yoyo is different. When you twist the string, instead of the yoyo turning along with the string, it goes 90 degrees ‘after’ turning, which is tilting (imagine a yoyo turning, if you rotate it 90 degrees after, it will end up in tilting position).
Now if the string is not perfectly centered or you add weight ring on one side, one side of the yoyo will be slightly heavier than the other (with the string as a pivot point), it FEELS like the yoyo will tilt, and it will if the yoyo doesn’t spin. But when spinning, precession ‘law’ says the yoyo will start turning instead of tilting.
IF the yoyo starts tilting when spinning, then there has to be certain force or friction that works sideways ‘trying to turn the yoyo’ which then translates into tilting, and more likely than not it is the string tension.

Anyway, any yoyo sleeping without tilt correction will almost always start to tilt sooner or later, unless you’re lucky or very skilled in neutralizing the string and able to throw completely straight, which almost no one does. When a yoyo is played, a decent player will sub-consciously try to balance it up; you don’t even need to throw completely straight because you can always nudge it back straight.