Yoyo string recommendations

im looking for a new type of bulk string (preferably 100 pk) (and 30 dollars or less). at the moment i have first class kitty normal but its just a tad bit thin in my perspective and for a while now i have been enjoying yysl plutonium and it seems to be the perfect thickness and has a very nice soft feel in the hand. but i think its time to expand my horizons so i was considering a few new string options that are similar to plutonium but here are my options so far.
(1) sochi string
(2) original throw string
(3) kitty first class fat or xl
and it would also help if the string is somewhat snag resistant even though it has a slightly fatter thickness to it as well.
i appreciate any recommendations from you guys thanks :grin:

(Edit) after a bit more research I also found the monkeyfinger vines string. I will also take in opinions on these as well if anyones tried them. thanks everyone :wink:

Sochi fat, OT fat and YYSL Plutonium are all great. Personally, I recommend trying them all as you can get them in small packs without spending too much. I haven’t tried the new KString yet, waiting on 10 packs… seems I’ll be waiting a long time as it’s been around for over a year now.

I also recommend trying YYSL Venom. It’s slightly thinner than Plutonium, great for a wider range of gap widths.

3 Likes

Here we go! :open_umbrella:

I’ve tried OT and Kitty FC Fat and I don’t think either are as thick as Plutonium. I think the weight might matter less to me as I’ve gotten used to binding though. I used to think Kitty FC fat was too thin for most yo-yos and now it seems fine. I’d suggest just getting a string that people say lasts well. Most bulk are going to feel pretty close to each other from my experience. Personally, I’ve got TopYo and Kitty and I think they’re both fine, but Kitty is longer so that’s what I usually reach for unless I’m getting fancy with BadWolfe, YYSL, Legit, Zipline etc.

2 Likes

Can’t comment on Sochi. OTS fat is slightly thicker than Fitty FC fat and it’s cheaper than both Kitty and Sochi. I use Kitty FC because it’s what I’m used to and I don’t mind paying a little extra, but all of them will be fine and unless you’re a comp player who already knows exactly what they want and is specifically pairing it with a certain yoyo (in which case you wouldn’t be asking this question.)

I use Kitty normal for my CLYWs/offstring yoyos and Kitty fat for literally everything else. I’ve never felt the need to use XL. With XL I feel like you’d need a very specific yoyo or reason to want it, but it’s just preference mostly so do whatever you want. That’s just my input.

2 Likes

I’ve tried both kitty fat and plutonium and found even kitty fat to be a tad too thin for me. I agree with you that plutonium is great but I found it too expensive comparatively to kitty. Right now I use knot bad almost exclusively and it works great. It’s a tad thicker than kitty fat (and maybe plutonium but I don’t remember exactly how plutonium feels) and binds are nice and snappy. If the gap of the yoyo is on the smaller side it might be a little too thick. For example my peak 2 was too small for either knot bad or kitty fat. My suggestion is knot bad, but i haven’t tried Sochi string yet so I cant compare.

3 Likes

Yoyo garden unlimited strings. The best bulk in my opinion.

5 Likes

its alright

4 Likes

I really like MFD vines, but it should be said that they are not pre-stretched, so you should take that into account, but they are still one of my favorite bulk strings.

2 Likes

I’ve been actively using all of them (OT, new Kitty & Sochi).

Personally speaking I think kitty is the “average” string. OT has the same surface roughness but the material is stiffer so it whips better. Sochi is a smoother & softer string comparing to the others (and slightly thicker).
Kitty seems to last a bit longer than the others, but it’s also pricer.

Since you’ve been using Kitty I’d recommend getting 100 ct of the kitty fat and buy some sample packs for Sochi & OT along with the order.

(One thing to be aware is OT normal has a similar thickness to the Kitty Fat; OT slim = Kitty Normal)

2 Likes

If you have time, would you mind posting some close ups of whatever Sochi, Kitty FC and OT you have? I was going to order both regular and fat, but now I’m thinking just regular.

From top to bottom:
OT Slim
OT Normal
New Kitty Fat
Sochi Fat

3 Likes

If you had to choose which one of the fatter strings you would use which one would it be ?? I’m looking at the Sochi fat and it looks pretty nice since I like that soft feeling in strings.

Wow, the OT slim and normal look the same.

1 Like

If you like soft feeling then Sochi fat is a great choice. Although I would still recommend getting some sample packs for the others. It’s a one time investment and definitely worth it.

Personally speaking I use OT the most simply because it’s super cheap when buying from China directly…

2 Likes

One is 22 strand and one is 24 strand. So they are not that different…

2 Likes

Iyoyo Slackies

3 Likes

repeating what others have said, having both Sochi and ots in bulk at the moment they both perform very similar, I personally like fat strings even with thinner width yoyos

2 Likes

Recently got some OT Slim and I’m liking it so far. Been getting kind of tired of ropey string. This whips plenty fine but handles wraps better imo

1 Like