Yoyo Review - illinx Melatonin

Hello Everyone ,

First time doing this so I hope you enjoy. I was lucky enough to pick up the @Modern_yoyos Melatonin , and Ross asked me to provide some honest feedback . So here I am .

The Melatonin is a really interesting yoyo , so I am going to do my best to describe it. The yoyo in itself is different from everything I have ever owned. One of the first things that came to my attention was the width of it. Its super thin , I dont have specs for the yoyo , but I believe it is in the 38 -40mm range.

I am going to break it down into a few different areas to hopefully give everyone an idea of what this yoyo is like.

Stability - This is interesting because the weight distribution is unique. You have a cup where you can see there is thick rims that kind of bubble up towards the center of the yoyo , and then you have a center dimple that protrudes slightly that seems to add some center weight to the yoyo. This mixture combined with the surprisingly thin profile of the yoyo give the yoyo a very balanced feel. Depending on how you are excuting your tricks it will either keep plan really well or punish you for sloppy play. I think this trait gives the yoyo alot of character . Personally I feel like when I have a yoyo that has just a touch of instability, but enough stability to finish a combo that it get my creative juices flowing. I hope that made sense, but maybe not.

Finish - This yoyo can do the job for finger spins. The finish I believe is blasted and mixed with the shape creates a good mix to get some good finger grinds in. If thats your thing or whatever.

Shape - the shape as I have hinted at, is one of this yoyos defining features. The yoyo is a v-shape. I would call it more of a soft V as it still has a decent amount of metal towards the middle portion of the catch zone. As mentioned before the rims are really chunky and almost donutesque. I think that this almost gives it sort of an inner ring bimetal affect. This yoyo is comforable in the hand due to this . Although it may be thin it has a ton of area to catch the yoyo , it can do horizontal, at least to the extent that I can do it, LOL , and it can really handle most laceration tricks.

Overall thoughts ,

This yoyo is something that I enjoy playing. It is nice to have a yoyo that doesn’t occupy a ton of space, but is still able to get the job done. I feel like you can go crazy on the yoyo, but you can also just grab this guy to hang out and mess around with a bunch of funky elements and mounts. I think anyone who may be looking for something different that fits in their pocket will enjoy this yoyo. Or not, I dont know we all have different tastes, but I do know that if you are looking for decent performance this will check the box, if you are looking for something different or fun , this will check the box. If you like supporting a great member of the community this will check the box.

To summerize this lengthy write up that I am sure is filled with spelling errors , and typos (give me a break though I have two kids I am giving a piggy back ride to as I write this =_= ) , I like the yoyo , its different ,fun , and gets the job done.

If you guys would like more reviews like this let me know , or even if you would like a video format like this let me know. I mean noone is really doing yoyo video reviews :wink: .

17 Likes

I love how the cup can do both centered and off center fingerspins. I like having the option for both rather than the trend towards super centering cup designs which get boring imo. I like feeling the gyroscopic effect of an off center fingerspin and being rewarded with a perfect throw/catch with a centered one (Love the V2 Joyride because of this) I’ll definitely be picking one of these up. Are they coming to YYE soon?

7 Likes

Hi! Unfortunately this first drop will not be available on yoyoexpert but the will be a available from two north American retailers, or to pick one up with free shipping contact me directly.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the review Chris! This is awesome :slight_smile: Contact me directly to pick one up with free shipping to the US.

2 Likes