Yoyo Problem

Hey guys,

I’m fairly new to yoyoing and I’ve been having a problem where I will throw a breakaway but the yoyo doesn’t seem to spin as long as it should be spinning for. When I throw a breakaway, i can feel the yoyo just falling out of the string like if the string is not tight around the bearing and pads. Am I not binding perfectly or do i need to change pads or strings? Not sure what the problem is, since I’ve already change the strings. It is like the string is not fully grasping the bearing so when I attempt to do breakaway it doesn’t spin as long as I want it too. Any thoughts or tips would help.

Thanks

1 Like

Yep, it sounds like the string isn’t wound around the bearing properly. The yoyo should feel tight on the string as it’s thrown and unwinds and should be spinning really fast when it gets to the end of the string. Are you able to throw and bind ok with a regular throw (front throw)? Binding from a breakaway is different because the yo-yo is spinning in the opposite direction from a front throw. You maybe know this already, but just in case. I posted here when I was first learning how to bind and people sent some very helpful links and posted a few videos. Maybe search “bind help” etc in the forums and see if that helps.

1 Like

Yup my front throw are perfect. String is tight. Yoyo spins nice and fast. Side throws is the problem but I’ll make sure to search for bind help. Thanks

2 Likes

Like 99% of everything with yo-yo, it’s probably just practice/experience. Luckily throwing breakaways to trapeze is addictive, so you’ll get plenty of practice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If the yoyo is binding tight and you’re able to throw it well normally then it’s probably just your breakaway technique. Try changing things up a little - Release the yoyo a little earlier and see if it helps, then try releasing a little later and see if that improves at all. Less force, more force on the release… It’s really all about practice and trying to dial in your technique, just stick with it and you’ll get the hang of it.

And if you’re comfortable posting a video of the problem it may make it easier to give advice, completely up to you though.

8 Likes

Practice your side style binds! Make sure theyre nice and clean, youll get it!

1 Like

This is absolutely key. It is really hard to bind straight from a trapeze mount because the direction of spin makes it nearly impossible. It is necessary to put the yoyo into an underside trapeze mount so that the yoyo is spinning in the opposite direction to the bind.

3 Likes

Yeah, I will be posting a video soon.

1 Like

Just an update. I think im 75% certain that the OD rebirth has something wrong with it because my breakaways are just fine. The yoyo wobbles when I throw a perfect breakaway, this happens even when I throw a horrible breakaway. I’ve even tested it with two OD rebirth yoyos. The spin on it is totally different. I tested this with the OD guantlet, my throw and the spin of the yoyo is perfect. Not sure if I can compare them both tho since the rebirth is smaller but I will post a video by tomorrow so you can see what i see. I feel like I’m making this a big deal but I really want to get your feedback on this matter. Stay tuned

Have you tried reseating the side effects?

I have not. I was thinking of reseating the axle too but not going to do it just yet until I post a video to show all you guys.

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

1 Like

ok.
you originally stated that you are fairly new to yoyo but now you are 75% sure that there is something wrong with the OD throw… sorry. it’s not likely. OD is one of the highest quality throws you can get. they just don’t make bad throws.

an easy way to check to see if it’s the throw or the thrower is to throw a breakaway into a trapeeze. if it is wobbling, lightly touch your fingernail to the spinning yoyo to smooth it out. if you can smooth out the vibe this way then it’s you and not the throw. if the throw continues to wobble and vibe and you can’t get it to smooth out then it’s the yoyo. for an OD throw, i would not expect this to be the case unless you bashed it off something hard, bent the axle or unseated a side effect.

i’ve been throwing for like 20 years and i still throw a wobbly breakaway sometimes. this could be exacerbated be a poor bind to begin with.

post that video. we can help.

kgb

2 Likes

If you have another Throw at hand, try swapping the bearing out of one that doesn’t wobble.

I bought a YYF Sugar awile back and it made this horrid “whub whub whub” vibe anytime I threw it hard. Soft throws were perfect however.

I tossed in a new KK and things were wonderful in the world once more.

I’ll post another video later.

based on this video, id say that your throw is causing the wobble, it doesn’t look bad to me. try the fingernail thing.

and, you are not binding properly. you are binding the breakaway throw from the trapeeze mount, not an under-mount. you can get it to bind, as evidenced by the fact that you did, but it will never be as tight or as consistent as it would be from the under mount.

kgb

1 Like

take a look at this video and you’ll see the difference

kgb

2 Likes

I landed on a trapeze, then i did the undermount and binded. It was to fast to see it clearly. Sorry about that

2 Likes

Ok I know this is a dumb question but when you screw the yoyo together is it nice and snug? Because if it’s screwed together too loosely it could cause the wobble and the loose binding.

Ivan

1 Like

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

1 Like