Yoyo photography?

someone please explain to me the appeal of taking photos of your yoyos. I dont understand.
explain to me where the enjoyment comes from, taking the photo or sharing the photo, etc(maybe photography as a hobby/interest). i understand the utility of it, jus not why people do it.

3 Likes

I can personally see the appeal. Itā€™s fun to try and make the things you have look good, especially when you can post those images to social media, so others will see.

People do it with their cars, rare sneakers, Lego models, you name it.

Thereā€™s a definite appeal to saying ā€œlook how cool this thing that I have looksā€.

Iā€™ve generally seen that yo-yo collecting and yo-yo photography go hand in hand. The same people generally do both. And that also makes sense to me. Not trying to talk down on anyone here, but itā€™s often the case that adult collectors might not have quite as many tricks that they do with their large number of yo-yos.

And taking photos of them gives these people something else to do with their throws.

Iā€™m no photography buff. When I want to enjoy my yoyos, I usually spin them on the end of a string. But I think I understand the reasons that some people take so many yo-yo photos.

11 Likes

When these objects are still, they are similar to sculptures of art.

However, once someone picks it up and uses it, it becomes the vehicle that provides that person a ā€œpaintbrushā€ to paint their picture with. Whether your form of artistry is instantly drawing an entire scene from imagination like Kim Jung Gi, pushing an F1 car to itā€™s limits like Senna, shredding a guitar then destroying it to make people go wild like Hendrix, or at the end of all of that, you could be the person who wants to capture that object, or moment in photography. A camera is the same vehicle as a yoyo, paintbrush, car, guitar, etc. Thatā€™s all there is to it.

We donā€™t question other peopleā€™s art that they draw or paint, we just accept it because itā€™s what they like to draw or paint. Same thing can be said for yoyo photography, there likely isnā€™t any other reason to why other than ā€œthey like doing it.ā€

I think if I was into photography, I would definitely enjoy the architectural aspect of motionless yoyos, then reversely capturing them in motion with the user.

10 Likes

Maybe itā€™s just because Iā€™m a really visual person, but I actually like to SEE what someone is throwing, or what they got in the mail that day - itā€™s exciting to see what other people are doing! Thatā€™s why I love those two main threads so much (and often post on them myself). One of the best aspects of yoyos themselves (besides being the vessel through which we do tricks) is the uniqueness of each one. With splash throws, Saturday Markets, etc, no two throws are alike, which I love. And with throws that are alike, itā€™s fun to mix it up sometimes by doing halfswaps, etc. Or with something that has SEā€™s or is customizable, itā€™s cool to see how others have their throws configured or set up.

Itā€™s also pretty fun to compare your unique throw against someone elseā€™s too. For example, I got pretty excited when I saw the photos coming out of the new Rebirth in Saturday Market, as people were getting some really good looking examples of the colorway, which made me even more excited to get mine.

A SUPER underrated yet important reason for yoyo photography in my mind is the photographic documentation of the history of these yoyos. With a lot of older throws, especially the more rare ones, itā€™s hard to find many photos of them, and a lot of the time, the photos that exist are total trash. The beautiful thing about living in 2022 is that we all have really nice cameras in our pockets via our phones. This wasnā€™t the case when I was getting into yoyoing - if you wanted to take a pic of a yoyo, youā€™re getting out your actual camera, uploading it to your computer, doing that whole thing. Itā€™s just so much easier to photograph yoyos now, so I think thatā€™s one of the reasons itā€™s more prevalent/you see more of theseā€¦ but little 12 year old me wouldā€™ve LOVED to have the non potato quality, high number of photographs available for the yoyos we had back then. You may not realize it, but we are actively documenting the history of this hobby in photographic form. People long after us will have these pics to reference when theyā€™re hunting down that vintage dream throw that came out in 2022, or know who might still have it based on who posted it. I canā€™t tell you the amount of times Iā€™ve acquired some of my most wanted older throws by scrolling through old collection pics and taking a shot in the dark by messaging the person to see if they still have it. A lot of times, they do indeed still have it, but stopped throwing years back and theyā€™re happy to see it go to a new home. This is my secret technique tho so if youā€™re reading this donā€™t steal it LMAO (I donā€™t mind writing it here though cause itā€™s buried in this rambling wall of text).

Hereā€™s what I think the answer to your question ultimately comes down to though: so many of these yoyos are eye candy. I feel itā€™s just human nature to want to ā€œshow offā€ or show others something you find beauty in, looks cool, or youā€™re proud of. Itā€™d be kinda lame if someone posted on here about how they got their dream throw, the one they were searching for forever thatā€™s super rare and hard to find but then they didnā€™t even post a picture of it, ya know? Like how could you post something like: ā€œI finally found my white whale, an ebay Levi painted Peak!ā€ and then NOT post a pic with it LMAOā€¦ I think @nightshadow said it best, people love showing off their cars, shoes, legos, whateverā€¦ why not yoyos? Itā€™s functional artā€¦ I love enjoying my collection by both playing AND displaying it.

9 Likes

I do it because i like product photography and taking images of small objects up close, and to contribute to photos of the yoyos i own so that people can maybe enjoy them.

10 Likes

Truuu

1 Like

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

2 Likes

i love some of the pictures people take of their throws. an expression of the way they see the object. some on this forum are very creative and skilled with the camera. as for why? who cares? i look at these round spinny things as a form of art and when I play, itā€™s a path of personal expression.

makes more sense to me than many, many other things that people take the time to capture a picture of. but, thatā€™s what they want to do, so who am i to question it? find that thing in life that makes you happy and go with it. if that thing is taking really cool photos of your favorite pastime activity, awesome. why question what makes someone else happy, especially when it has no effect on you.

kgb

2 Likes

I may be slightly biased since I get paid to take photos of yo-yosā€¦ but, I enjoy seeing cool photos people take whether itā€™s yo-yos or anything else.

I look at photography as a more accessible and approachable form of artistic expression that we can all easily share since we have these smart little computer things in our pockets.

10 Likes

When a yoyo is spinning it doesnā€™t really matter what youā€™re using to do a trick. Even though you can feel a massive difference in play, very little difference is apparent in most trick videos. If you want to show off a specific yoyo, itā€™s easier and much more clear to convey the unique aspects of it through a still photo.

Thereā€™s also the part where itā€™s just easier to share interesting and unique photos than it is to share an interesting and unique trick. Coming up with new and unique tricks to show off is hard, taking photos to show new and original content is much easier.

3 Likes

The documenting history aspect is so right. Itā€™s a huge part of why I wish we still had yoyonation forum around. So much history was lost.

But rather than sulk, we can continue to build it here.

If I ever hit it big though, yoyonation is coming back. It wonā€™t impact the store here though very much, Iā€™d limit it to personal designs machined by Onedrop. Iā€™d find the most artistic annodizer I can. Iā€™d also sell Zipline string and sponsor some players and travel to contests throughout the year. A boy can dreamā€¦

3 Likes

For me, itā€™s a form of conveying a moment and preserving it through a form of artistic expression. That being said yoyo photography is the reason why I have a much more engaging experience in the community as well. Itā€™s brought unique opportunities for brand and BTS interactions, which is one of my favorite things about media as a whole.

I usually deal with automotive photography so when I was coming back into yoyo I thought I should expand the portfolio, while also sharing what I love to do.

9 Likes

There are much more interesting things to be taking photos of than yoyos.

My base take on this is that posting a yoyo photo is a low stakes path for engagement. The likes will just pile up. In contrast, non-photo content may get crickets.

That said, Iā€™m a sucker for a photo of a Peak. :crazy_face:

I never understood the a-peel of a banana?

I mean, ya get da bananaā€¦. A-peel itā€¦. And then a-eat it.

Who cares?

ā€¦And why Do Bakeries waste so much time making beautiful Wedding cakes when the people are just going to cut them into little squares the smash them into each otherā€™s faces?

And why do ugly chicks put on so much makeup when they know youā€™ve already seen their Prison mugshot?

ā€¦And why would somebody bother putting $10,000 rims and tires on a Prius?

And why would anybody pay to go into a museum just to see statues missing body parts?

And why do people always smile so much taking Selfies when most folks faces look like props from Scare Tactics?

And, come to think of it, why do I post yo-yos pics, using mirrors, when they All end up looking the sameā€¦ā€¦ like I have a dozen of each yoyo?

And why do I ever wear a hat when people know I was going bald in grammar school.

ā€¦ā€¦And, why am I wasting time with all these other absurd conundrums when I could be wasting my time doing other things, like taking photos of yo-yos and sharing them?

I donā€™t get itšŸ¤”

7 Likes

I only do it if Iā€™m inspired. Although I understand that is lazy for an artist, which Iā€™ve read somewhere. If the object moves you to act in some creative way, follow it. Itā€™s fun and frustrating.
One of my favorites to this day -

It came about by me wondering how I could take a photo that said, ā€˜I want you play with meā€™.

10 Likes

I agree with what a lot of people have already saidā€”the designs are a form of art already. I also think color comes into it. Some solids are deep and vibrant while some splashes are unreal (like Monkeyfinger or OD SM). They become far more interesting when people accentuate them by their choice of backgrounds, too. Honestly, some of these phone pictures are frame worthy if youā€™re into it. Just beautiful colors and designs.

Iā€™ve taken a couple of ā€œmailā€ shots, but Iā€™ve actually taken quite a few more motion shots. I have about a dozen shots in mounts of varying degrees of difficulty, and I really like how they look impossible. I just learned Magic Trick, and the state just before you clap is mind bending and makes for a cool photo. Lately Iā€™ve started taking more dynamic shots which add interest and are also harder to getā€”pushing me as a photographer.

Iā€™m sure youā€™re mainly talking about static product shots, but again, I can see the allure as they are wonderful designs and colors.

Just for fun, hereā€™s my most recent:

18 Likes

thatā€™s a really cool shot.

kgb

3 Likes

When I take photos of yoyo Iā€™m just taking photos for myself. For fun. The yoyo world is just very relaxing.

Iā€™m primarily a wedding/lifestyle photographer and filmmaker! I do that for a living, and there is SO much pressure to capture a coupleā€™s wedding day! You canā€™t go back and do genuine re-takes of the ceremony, ring exchange, father or motherā€™s reaction, or the groomā€™s reaction of the bride walking down the aisle. You miss thatā€¦you canā€™t ask them hey can you just likeā€¦go back and re-walk the aisle real quick? :joy:

BUT WITH YOYO PHOTOGRAPHY

• Yoyo photography is like my break from pleasing clients just to make things for fun or just for myself!

• Itā€™s an area of photography where I can experiment and do things completely how Iā€™d like.

• I can pace myself and take my time.

• Plus photographing different types of colors of yoyos really helps me to understand what I need to do to keep a yoyo looking realistic-true to life. And that helps me develop better skills to apply in other areas of photography.

ALSO! If you donā€™t have photos of yoyos, how can someone understand the design of a yoyo? Yeah thereā€™s specsā€¦but you gotta see the shape and cut of a yoyo right? :man_shrugging: Without photography of yoyos, weā€™d just be getting mystery boxes left and right lols.

12 Likes

Iā€™m mainly a portrait photographer, but Iā€™ve done fashion, wedding, business headshot, and all kinds of subsets of photography. I agree wholeheartedly with your comment. Basically, I photograph yoyos because I love photography, and my personal photography is relaxing and fun.

I also maintain an Airtable database so that I can see my entire collection at a glance. I have pictures of every one of my throws in that database. I could have taken them with my phone, but I really like working in my studio with the strobes no matter what Iā€™m shooting.

2 Likes

Clear pictures help when selling or trading yoyos. I always do my best to make sure the person sees what they are getting. You get more interest that way as well.

6 Likes