Yoyo pet peeves

the more you say its no big deal the bigger deal it becomes

Quick cure for those who don’t like the performance of the Duncan Butterfly:

Play with a Duncan Mosquito… Afterwards, you will think the Butterfly is wonderful LMAO :smiley:

HUGE pet peeve, even though it’s mildly silly, is when I see a string mark around a person’s middle finger towards the bottom, and not towards the top of their finger.

I don’t know why this bothers me, but in my mind I’m screaming “YOU’RE DOING IT WRONG AHHH XD”

Ha, me too! I keep an old Imperial with a short string in my pocket so when the inevitable gaggle of kids comes up asking “can I try?” I say “sure” and hand it to them. I show them simple tricks, give pointers, and ALWAYS plug my local yoyo shop to the parents. As to the pre-sparked Ricochet–WOW!

My pet peeve: “Hey, did you know? Did you know that yoyos were originally weapons? It’s true! I saw it in a Mountain Dew commercial! It’s a martial art! Betcha didn’t know that, huh? It is true, because I read it on the Internet. It is true, because I saw someone doing it in a movie, therefore it’s real.”

Me: “Wow. I had no idea. No one has ever said that before.”

Use that an an opportunity to educate them. Tell them the story of how that was actually a marketing ploy to sell yoyos, but is false. Make it about how funny it is the shady lengths that a business will go to make a dollar. Enlighten them AND plug those Local shops! haha :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine has gotta be “I have a friend that can do that exact same trick but faster” on a combo I made up. Irritating - I wouldn’t care either way, even if his friend could. ::slight_smile:

Very well put. And don’t get me wrong, I’m never snarky to anyone who shows even a passing interest in what I’m doing. That would not make me an asset to the hobby. I’m referring to that certain type with whom it is literally impossible to get a word in edgewise, and who likely would be offended if I offered evidence contrary to their beliefs. With them I just smile and nod.

(((WARNING))) The following post contains many words. If you find it a personal challenge reading many words at one sitting; it would probably be best to not continue to: read, fall asleep and wake up Screaming.

Well’ I thought about it… and I guess I have what would be considered a few pet peeves.

Every few weeks; somebody posts up a BST that I find pretty weak.

They will say something like: FS, my all time favorite yoyo. Its gonna take a serious offer for me to give this baby up. Or, ‘Gonna be hard to get this one off me’. Or, ‘I will only give this yoyo up if the deal is heavily in my favor’. Or, ‘I hate to see this go; but I will for the right price’. Or, ‘This yoyo is worth a lot to me; hard to give it up’. <<< and on and on…

I am not trying to say anybody agrees with me on this. But I think the majority of folks that check out the BST are looking for at least a reasonably good deal. A deal good enough to inspire them to want to buy a/the yoyo/yoyos. And a few folks are just looking for a certain yoyo for a certain reason and are more than willing to take it in the shorts a bit; to complete their mission.

I don’t go to the BST to Financially Wre$tle somebody out of their Dearest yoyo. I don’t want to overpay somebody just so they wont feel sad letting the yoyo go.

Most often I guess people are selling yoyos for one of several reasons: need money more than the yoyo, need money to simply buy another yoyo, need money to get something other than a yoyo(like a just released Video game or such), or they are quitting and just don’t need a bunch of paperweights sitting on their desk.

I am not suggesting that people give their yoyos away dirt cheap. Any fair price is ‘fair’. For people that cant handle a ‘fair’ price; they obviously shouldn’t even be shopping on the BST.

… My favorite one was about a year ago or so… The guy posted, 'On the list below; I have a rating system telling you how hard it will be go get the various yoyos off me: not too hard, pretty hard, very hard, extremely hard, etc…

I am not paying anybody so they can pay themselves to become emotionally detached from their favorite all time best yoyo they ever had that They are going to miss big time because it is so awesome and the color way is so rare and you will never find another one so you better better offer HIGH enough to force me to release my emotional death grip from it<<<< and don’t forget Shipping and add money for paypal fees if you don’t gift me the money, etc…

I want to buy good yoyo’s at good prices for both me and the seller. I want to buy yoyos that I don’t have to PAY big to force a sale.

… And one other one while I am at it>>> I call it the Ebay Junior game. A guy posts up a yoyo. He puts a price on it. I contact him and tell him I will buy it at that price. He gets back to me and says, ‘Sorry but I got a higher offer from somebody else. Can you make a higher offer’? So I get back to him and ask, 'What offer do I have to beat? He gets back and just says, ‘Make me a higher offer’. (higher than what?).

If you are going to sell to the highest offer; dont give what seems like a ‘set price’. If you post up a Ti Shutter for $185; dont tell me, ‘sorry but I got a higher offer already’.

One guy told me, ‘Yes, that is the price I want. But could you throw in a deal sweetener’? By deal sweetener; you mean what? He said, 'I will send you a list of wants. And if you have one of the the yoyos on my list; you could throw that in. I would prefer that the yoyo is; new, unused, in the box or you could add a few more dollars. And no vibe please.

This is not a hostage situation.

1 Like

Doc reminded me of one.

A BST post that says “YOU MUST SEND PAYPAL FRIENDS/FAM, Not for Goods and Services.”

Nothing makes me close a page faster than someone demanding that I do not protect myself. These Red Flags are big and blinding.

If YOU see that, I encourage you to not proceed as well. This is the start of a beautiful scam at your detriment.

1 Like