Yoyo for a more smooth flowy style

Do you know how to bind the yoyo? Yes.

-Do you have a yoyo that you own or played with that you have liked very much? Used to love my YYf starlight and DV888 very much but not entirely sure why. I liked the stability of the DV 888 but not much of a fan of the heavy presence of it. Yonity Jei was my first high end throw but didn’t like the aggressive V shape and small rims very much. Didn’t feel comfortable and not stable enough for me. Currently am using a magicyoyo y03 and I like it very much. Smooth, stable, spins long, comfy and doesn’t “accelerate” too much.

Am currently thinking of buying:
YYF shutter
YYF too hot
Top yo Silenus
C3 Krown

-Do you have a preferred weight or weight distribution? 65 - 66 grams and with a bit of rim weight

-Do you have a price range? Around 40 dollars

-Do you prefer a certain brand? No

-Are you looking for a yoyo that specializes a style? 1a and mayyybe 5a

-Do you prefer a certain response syetem? No

-What trick are you currently working on? Some Jensen Kimmitt combo

-Do you want a yoyo to Thumb grind or arm grind good? Not important but nice to have

Am sorry that I can’t be more specific on what I like. I just haven’t tried much and and can play with anything handed to me so am not very picky…please feel free to ask anything.

BTW. Have tried some Skyva and a YYF Northstar, both in solid colors (not the translucent versions) and hated the feel of it on my hands but never had this problem with the Lyn fury or starlight or glow in the dark dynasty. Any idea why? Never bought another plastic after trying Northstar and skyvas.

2 Likes

I am a huge shutter fan. The OG spec shutter is out there for $35. I have 2 of them and am very happy.

That said, Silenus has a little more soul to it IMO. It is such a fun floaty super capable throw for $32. You’ll instantly fall in love. I have a brand new one on the way.

4 Likes

I meant more that the yonity Jei is mostly aggressive V shape with little rim to hold on, which i didn’t like. The arcade seems like a super chill modernized organic yoyo… really dig it.

Thanks for the suggestion

1 Like

Seems you prefer the Silenus over the shutter? The reason I considered the shutter was due to the shape which is kinda inspired by the Genesis, which I always wanted and because everyone has one lol.

Sshhh, don’t tell anyone. :slight_smile:

You can’t go wrong with either. I think the Silenus has a little more float to it. It might fit your title a little better.

1 Like

You sound EXACTLY like I was RIGHT down to the choices of throws you want next !!! And the going to a V shape and not “feelin it”
I started with the DV888 and like it for the same reason you do
I’m ALSO playin with a Y03 Hertz because of it lighter weight (Carpal Tunnel)
So I’ll give you some insight on the direction I went
I got a Horizon and found i didn’t wanna play it as much as my DV888
I then went to the iceberg THEN went crazy and bought a ■■■■ ton of various yo-yos to try and find “My thing” lol
I find for “comfort”I’ve gravitated more towards Organic /angular organic (The Don, Arcade, Momento etc) and also H shape (the guitarist, Winglet etc) for stability and long spins.

So after buying my 40th throw since April (when I started) I would say go with a “Too H.O.T” if you like doin grinds and whatnot the finish is BEAUTIFUL on it , I find it feels a tad bit heavy but it’s a nice feeling throw , BUT if you straight up want a floaty AMAZING performer for a STEAL of a deal get the “Silinus” trust me that yoyo has NO business being so cheap !!! It definitely out performs throws I have that are 3 times the price and even though it’s 68g it feels closer to my Throws 65g and under

If you want comfort AND a smooth throw grab an Arcade , I got 2 Bgrades and they are some of the smoothest throws I have and the finish!!! Mmmm beautiful (chefs kiss) lol for anyone that owns an Arcade they’ll understand when I say “it spins as smooth as the finish feels” it has a certain sound to it that is so satisfying lol

3 Likes

I second the Silenus, it’s a great throw for the price. The only issue I had was that it felt a little heavy, but that also led to a bit more flowy style, in that it smoothed out the motions for me a lot. And the price is great for the quality of the yoyo.

The Mk1 Contact is an amazing organic mono-metal. I honestly can’t say enough good things about this one. The A-grades are $45, but you can also find B-grades on their site. I think the Contact will play pretty differently than any of the yoyos you’ve listed as having tried, but it is a fantastic yoyo.

The MagicYoYo Bi(smuth) is a great bi-metal that, IMO, is worth more than the asking price. I’ve been really impressed with that one.

The YYF KO and Uppercut are both really impressive, too. The Uppercut’s $35, being the mono-metal. The KO’s a little outside of the stated budget at $50, but is still an excellent price for a really good bi-metal.

The Mike Monty Memento is a great mono-metal for a smooth style. It’s kind of a modified organic shape. His Mori yoyo is also excellent, and has a more pronounced V-shape.

I hate to recommend yoyos that are hard to find, but if you can find a Jake Bullock Dunk or even a Slim Dunk on the BST, I think that would be perfect for what you’re describing. The Slam Dunk is great, too, but outside of the quoted budget at around $100, but it is more easily found right now, since there are some available on his site.

2 Likes

really cant beat the silenus in this price range, it truly competes with my boutique throws, it does it all

2 Likes

The shutter or the Silenus are both great options, can’t go wrong with either.

2 Likes

Definitely can’t go wrong with the silenus :blush::blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

I wish to thank everyone here for all the recommendations! I think that I just buy the silenus and the too hot for now. @djinni_cake I checked all the throws you recommended and am a fan of pretty much all of em. Especially the MK1 Contact and the Mike Monty Memento :drooling_face: Will add them to my wishlist.

@yoyo-man92 Seems like we have very similar taste when it comes to yoyos. Really like the Arcade but I sadly don’t live in the states… :frowning: The reason for the Too Hot is that I can get it for 20 dollars, don’t wanna miss out on a good deal.

So it seems like I’m more into organic and H shape? That’s good to know… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t think you will be disappointed with a Too HOT, it is a yoyo I truly love to play.

1 Like

Agreed. In my top 5 favorite mono metals ever

You ever try the YYF Dogma? The one I’d keep if I had to have only one full-sized.

2 Likes

Haven’t had the chance to try that one yet. What’s it like?

Plays lighter than what I expect from YYF’s… Very little effort to change direction. Easy on the wrist, also find the shape comfortable.