Yoyo Finish Durability

Yeah, very true.

1 Like

With What little reading I did, it’s my understanding that if done properly, cerakote can actually come out thinner. @TheThrowingGnome never hurts to ask. In my experience, gun smiths are usually pretty laid back guys. They can also do some really impressive work with cerakote.

1 Like

As far as vibe goes, I feel as though if you take your time and do it right it shouldn’t be too hard to get a good even coat. The only challenge I can see is finding a way to hang the YoYo in the air while painting, and baking. Might need to sacrifice an axle, or get a bolt from the hardware store to attach a string.

Maybe I should Ceracote my already vibey TiShutter instead of stonewashing! :thinking:

1 Like

Idk what stonewashing is, but a decent cerakote setup doesn’t seem all that crazy. The biggest thing you’ll need is a spray gun with a hopper. Doesn’t need to be anything expensive or crazy.

I could have taffeta white yoyos!

2 Likes

No durability benefit from Pyramatte.

4 Likes

To get an even coat you can get one of those photography turntables or a cheap potter’s wheel to spin it while spraying.

2 Likes

This is one case where the description is kinda accurate. Throw it in a tumbling mechanism (a “washer”) with a bunch of stones and let it tumble for a while.

2 Likes

Nice! What’s the benefit of that?

There’s a whole topic here about it that got bumped very recently if you look at the latest topics!

1 Like

In my experience, coating any yoyo with anything other than standard ano or something that is thin liquid applied like a Teflon spray can induce vibe.

I had a ton of yoyos PVD coated by a commercial outfit that does zippo lighters thinking it wouldn’t be an issue and probably 40 percent of my yoyos came back with varying degrees of vibe. It sucked.

5 Likes