Similar to a TopDeck?

I’m looking for a yoyo that plays similar to the Top Deck (shape size weight), but with a blasted finish. I’ve found I really like how the Top Deck plays, and it’s typically my EDC, but want something with a better finish for grinds. If you know of something similar or even have something you’re selling let me know.

3 Likes

Have you tried a Kuntosh? It’s not necessarily similar, but the og has a Pyramatte finish and the qv is bead blasted. You can’t go wrong with a Kuntosh.

3 Likes

I don’t know of any other monometal that feels and plays like a Top Deck.

3 Likes

I’ve checked out the Kuntosh, but I typically don’t like big chunky rims, though I’ve never thrown one.
Is the pyramatte finish what’s on the TopDeck?

1 Like

Well, which one did you get? The “deep sea fade” TD has a Pyramatte finish on it. The rest, if I’m not mistaken, are just glossy. I know mine is, and it is the only gripe that I have about it.

If you really want to have a TD with a smoother or blasted finish, Gruntbull can do that [strip, blast, re ano] I’ve considered it myself. I think he charges maybe $60 shipped for a basic 1 color re-ano IIRC?

And I hear you about the Kuntosh. I felt the same way until I actually got my hands on one… Just saying…

3 Likes

Yeah I’m actually surprised you like the Kuntosh considering your typical tastes, so I definitely take that into account. And yeah, that’s what mine is too then. It just grips the finger if you don’t land just right for a grind. And I’ve thought about that too(sending to GBA), but my TD is a little beat up. Don’t think I’ve gotten a yoyo with the pyramatte finish then, wonder if that’s better for grinds?

1 Like

Pyramatte is better for grinds than gloss for sure. But bead blast is even better than Pyramatte. It is like the half way finish between gloss and BB.

2 Likes

Iyoyo hidra is very similar to a top deck.

3 Likes

What does the Hidra’s cross section look like? And is it also 7075?

The Top Deck isn’t special just because of its cup shape, but because of its unusual weight distribution. Another yoyo with the same, or very similar, shape won’t perform like a Top Deck without the same inner wall design and weight distribution.

5 Likes

So what you’re saying is OD just needs to do a bead blasted finish on a Top Deck (someone important see this please lol)

3 Likes

Or diamond blasted!

2 Likes

The shape may be similar but the Hidra has a totally different weight distribution. You’d need something with thinner walls and that shape.

3 Likes

Post asked for something similar to top deck. Hidra profile looks very similar and plays the most similar to a top deck than any other yoyo I’ve tried. :man_shrugging: Just sayin’

1 Like

I appreciate the effort but I just threw these two back to back, and although there is a superficial similarity in the shape, I would say they don’t play alike at all.

I dunno, the “problem” might be that the Top Deck is kind of a unique animal and has its own feel… I can’t think of ANY yo-yo in my collection that reminds me very much of a Top Deck in play.

This is a tough one. Let’s ask @YoYoExpertGarrett

4 Likes

Your suggestion was actually very timely as well, I was debating on buying a little bundle of yoyos on the Facebook bst, had a Hidra as part of it so I said screw it and bought it lol

2 Likes

The Hidra is very good in its own right! Totally agree with that! It’s just not a Top Deck :wink:

2 Likes

I’m trying to not buy ONLY organics and branch out to some other stuff lol. The Top Deck happens to be one i like very much, but it’s probably because it’s so unique and unlike other yoyos I’ve thrown that i like it so much (making it tough to find something similar). Glad I have the forums to ask people who have thrown way more yoyos than I have

2 Likes

Like the Top Deck, the Hidra is super long spinning and very stable. Just has a bit more “H” feel to it. You won’t be disappointed!

4 Likes

ok

5 Likes

You can link directly to the time @noodles, just do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyttHDCrpQs?t=150

Internet Dad At Your Service™ p.s. keep off my lawn

6 Likes