Question about annos

Yo I have a question about surface finishes. So I know some are good for grinds and are smooth but some are really hard to grind and bounce the instant they touch skin, what is the function of this finish? To minimize spin loss if the yo bumps hands is my guess but I’ve been wrong guessing a lot. Also are there any other finish types besides easier grind and anti-grind?

Glossy finishes r usually done for aesthetic purposes. Its not like every glossy finish is terrible to grind one. TP glossy finishes r half decent for grinds if u have callused fingers. There r other types of surface finishes like cerakote, powder coat etc but they r very niche.

2 Likes

Ever since grinds kinda dropped off in popularity (in contests) a decade-ish ago, you’ve seen more and more manufacturers switch to glossy finishes. Better visibility in comps as it reflects light a little better. Not saying that was the main motive or anything, just a theory in addition to the aesthetic thing. Once all the players stopped grinding they probably felt a lot more free to experiment with less grind friendly finishes.

When I first got a One Drop with the pyramatte finish (it was a legendary Terrarian) I really thought these would be really hard to grind, but since then I’ve found the LT, the Diorama, and also the MCMO are not really bad for grinds. Maybe a professional would get a longer grind on a blasted finish, but I’m happy with the grind performance of this finish, being a person who doesn’t do a lot of grinds.

1 Like

The finish you are asking about has little to do with the anodization and more to do with the surface treatment before it.
Generally finishes are either for grind performance, aesthetics, or cost effectiveness.
General yo has their blasting technique that provides an amazing grind as well as a chunk of the cost.
Polished, glossy, or painted anything is all about aesthetics and raises cost.
One drop’s pyramatte finish is one that comes to mind for cost effectiveness. Not as pricy as blasting or mirror polishing but gives a halfway decent grinding surface.

2 Likes