Yoyo Finish Durability

I’ve heard a lot of good things about OD’s pyratatte finish, particularly its durability against small incidents with tile floor and such surfaces, which got me thinking. How does this finish stack up against other finishes from other companies?
I’m expecting mostly anecdotal evidence on this one.
:yo-yo:

4 Likes

its a nice finish, i have no complaints about OD’s finish (or bearing/bearing post tightness choice for that matter). they’ve got a hell of a design process that pairs great with their manufacturing capabilities.

for grinds tho, I do prefer the diamond blast finishes of G Squared Yoyos.

5 Likes

I didn’t realize the pyramatte finish had durability benefits. I thought it was their hardcoat finish that was known for durability.

4 Likes

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t believe Pyramatte would have any durability benefits. Pyramatte is the finish, it’s something they do pre anodization just like blasting or polishing. Hard coat on the other hand, as @zslane mentioned, does offer better durability. That might be what you’re thinking of.

3 Likes

I vaguely remember someone reputable saying pyramatte does make it a little more durable but I could be wrong.

@da5id ? Again :joy:

ILYY candy blast is one of toughest finishes that I’ve seen. I hit a 2WEI on concrete once (forgive me of my sins :pray:t2:), and I couldn’t find a single mark on the thing.

4 Likes

Holy crap that sounds awesome

(I still don’t know what ILYY is. ima go google that now)

I’ve been loving the feel of my Muse, especially the finish. It’s so soft, it’s great for grinds, less so for durability. A couple minor hits resulted in quite a few scratches and some vibe. Still love this yoyo though. :yo-yo:

1 Like

Just curious, I know there are people who powder coat yoyos, has anyone ever tried cerakote? It’s tough, long lasting and pretty similar to pc

1 Like

Looking on their website, this stuff looks pretty expensive, but I don’t know how much other coatings cost and what the ones they use cost :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

oh man. i have two of their newer releases: dotE1NS and 2WEI (not candy blasted unfortunately) and these are some of the most solid throws i own. i would definitely recommend you trying them out! hopefully you’ll like them as much as i do!

1 Like

I’m gonna take a guess and say if you’re gonna try and Cerakote a yoyo, you should probably just stick with anodizing. Putting on a Cerakote is a pretty tedious process and can induce vibe compared to anodizing, and anodizing has similar scratch resistant properties. Powder coating is nice because it’s easier to apply than Cerakote, and comes in more colors.

4 Likes

Guilty :sweat_smile: Good point though, thanks. I looked into cerakote a while ago for another project, and seemed simple, relative to anodizing. Don’t really have the guts to try it, but I’m always curious about potential additions to hobbies. The Yoyo has definitely been one of the most intimidating. They have since smll margins for error!!

3 Likes

Yoyos are super powered precision machines :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I had a gun ceracoted once. You think my gunsmith would coat a yo-yo? :gun:

4 Likes

I’m thinking of trying cerakoting on some yoyo later on. The advantages in overall seem to outweigh possible disadvantages for now. Also never seen a cerakoted yoyo, so just the experiment seems fun and worth it.

5 Likes

Well, if you’re not too worried about vibe you should definitely try it. I’ve read that it goes right on top of the anodized surface, but it has to be really clean to adhere.

3 Likes

Does the finish really introduce vibe? :thinking:
Interesting.

3 Likes

Unless it’s perfectly even, any coating like that can add vibe.

4 Likes