yoyo company that has most consistently bad color ways in your opinion.

Anything by YYF that isn’t a solid color. Their splashes and washes are just terrible.
Never been a fan of MFD’s colorways. Intricate and cool, yes; but they’re just not for me.
And yeah, Chico has yet to put out a decent splash colorway.

I personally can’t stand MFD colorways but I can definitely appreciate the skill that goes in to making them happen compared to what I imagine is the effort that goes into the splash on a YYF yoyo.

That said, whether it be another MFD seizure colorway or YYF splotch job, one of those two is more likely to grab my attention and get me to spend my money on something than a single bright solid color. To me that is the epitome of boring. But I know there are people out there who love that too. Good thing we have so many different options.

Solids are classy… I would never buy a splash General Yo because I think they look amazing in solids and dual tones.

I am not whining nor complaining. I think the title implies negativity as opposed to preference. Least favorite colorways and why would have been more constructive. The bulk of the conversation may encourage companies to make steps in the direction which community wishes.

1 Like

Dude, I think that splash looks awesome! Not as much a splash as a sort of paintbrush marks. I like it a ton more than conventional splashes.

I like some of the work MFD does for G2, but some of their ano just looks butt-ugly in my opinion. Like this one, for example:

Pretty ugly to my eyes.

Oh, so you guys want splash colorways, but actually splashing the color on it isn’t good enough? I find that weird.
I’ll admit, YYF has chosen some bad color combos for splashes. But let’s get real here, the acids they do are top notch. Ever seen the DNA in person?

I find MFD has weird color choices like YYF. Some of it works, but some doesn’t.

My favorite color way ever is the green/black acid wash on the punchline repeater, but yeah the did some weird ones

Any of the Yoyocommunity artistry series stuff. Ew.

I would not describe any yo-yo company’s colorways as “consistently bad.” As Coffelt put it best, some yo-yo colors, I prefer more than others. That preference is not from company to company, but I find myself liking colors on some yo-yo models (within the same company), more than others. For example, I preferred the colors on the SPYY Pro to the Radian2. Also, there can be a major difference in appeal from one yo-yo’s splash pattern and another yo-yo from the same run. Sometimes it’s a matter of just “getting a good one.” I prefer solids, with the exception of the YoyoExpert editions. I think colorways, in general, can be overrated, and it is usually more important for me to like the yo-yo than the color anyway.

As for YoyoFactory, I love what they are doing, and they are keeping the prices right. When I buy from them, I don’t feel like I’m being charged a ton for…color. I prefer solids anyway, but out of everything I own, YoyoFactory yo-yos are at the top of the list of the most beautiful yo-yos in my collection. I agree that their acid wash is tops.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7397/10852844384_24ed3f497e_z.jpg
HOTcupshotx by The TotalArtist, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7450/10853022823_b228bf7e73_z.jpg
HOTcupshot by The TotalArtist, on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3792/10516555925_6cdcffd0c1_z.jpg
Protoncupshot by The TotalArtist, on Flickr

Also, for me, it’s not just about “colorways.” A company can make up for not having the best colorways, by simply choosing the best solid colors, a variety of colors that appeal to a wide audience, and making them look vibrant. If some colorways don’t look the best sitting in a case, they may look incredible spinning. A company approaching color from that standpoint is doing enough in my book.

I’m crying on the inside.
YYR splashes are the very best I’ve ever seen. Have you looked at the rainbow Attune?
Bleeding ink Uragment?
Sam Scott E=MC2?
And way more.

MFD is…good when they anno for others.
Not a fan if their own yoyos colorways.
Rotten apple is…ewh.

If YYRs aren’t as “aesthetically pleasing”,then why do they sell better than MFD? Way way better?
And YYRs are only selling for 80-135ish now.
Maybe even cheaper than some MFD and CLYW and SquareWheels.
Keep in mine I do love Square Wheels and CLYW.
But YYR knows how to make yoyos, anno and run a super successful business for YEARS doing only solids.

^ Credit where it’s due, the Galaxy Proton is absolutely gorgeous. It also is one of the best looking colourways ever whilst it’s spinning. If they “Galaxy”-ed up a few more throws, I’d buy them in a second.

They can (and do) get colourways right, I personally love the 7075 Edition colourway.

As well as many others, including the ones you posted. However, here are just a few instances of them IMO, doing it terribly wrong:

There were many more but I don’t want to spam this thread with any more pictures. Apart from this final one, which I feel is the worst colourway job ever, on any yoyo:

I mean come on, they didn’t even bother to re-etch the lettering. Also, red on green? Who thought that would be a good idea… bleargh…

The thing that gets me with YYF is you can almost feel the laziness in a lot of their splashes. At least some companies seem to put in the effort, even if the end result seems harsh on the eyes.

I know a few people might be thinking “flip, this guy is very Anti-YYF”, however that’s not the case at all. Like Totalartist, I love yoyofactory yoyos, which is why I find it annoying that they’re rarely in colourways that I find appealing. I think their size and popularity as a company is what lets them down. The small, made in USA runs where they actually put in the effort themselves and come up with interesting limited colourways (like most of the 7075 special editions) turn out absolutely incredibly.

This^^^^

Don’t quote a large post right above yours just to say one word. ~~mrcnja

I think Gambit’s last post illustrates exactly what Coffelt was saying about preferences. I happen to agree that the Catalyst is a great one… and another good example of great looking work. Of the others he posted, I don’t care for a few, just because they involve the color “orange,” which is one of the worst colors for a yo-yo, in my opinion. But, a lot of people love orange, so they might buy those. But, on the other hand, I love almost all of the splash patterns, with the exception of two. But, I think getting a good splash pattern, for any brand, is the luck of the draw, varying from yo-yo half to yo-yo half, due to some randomness in the process.

I asked Andre how the yo-yos for the photos were chosen, and he said that it was totally random. No one goes through the boxes trying to find a great one for the stock photo. That seems the most fair way to present them. I’ve had experiences getting splash patterns that were better, worse, or similar to the one in the photo. It’s just pure luck most of the time when it comes to splashes. When I take my photos, I look for the best side. Sometimes I get a yo-yo where both sides are great…but that’s rare. In a similar thread, someone posted that they liked that last yo-yo with the green/red and planned to buy it. It’s not for me, but it will suit someone else out there just fine. It’s all about preference.

What I like about YoyoFactory, is that they always have something available that I like out of the bunch…no matter what. But, that’s true of almost all companies anyway. I can always find something that suits me in a run of yo-yos, even when it is not ideal.

Of all the companies, I have the most difficulty choosing the color of my General Yos. I don’t fancy the half/half as much as a solid or colorway. Due to the small number in runs, and fewer color selections, even when there is the perfect color for me, it’s hard to get my hands on it. But, ultimately, I always end up with something that will work for me. Even if I wait for a later run, one of my colors always pops up.

I like how it said in your opinion yet people are in here defending companies and their techniques even though it’s all preference and then proceeding to bash the other persons favorite company.

The bashing I don’t dig. The defending I don’t mind (and did some of it myself) because you’re putting a positive spin on something. But opinions should also be substantiated. You won’t always convince someone, even with examples (I like the orange and blue CZKM84VK and also the gray and orangey-yellow one!) but at least you’re showing examples of why you hold your opinion.

I own a California by YYF. Used to have one a while back. Finally got one and the splash on it was actually quite nice. The catch zone has a really nice splash too. Guess I got lucky ;D

CLYW electric circus I don’t really like lol, but 28 stories… :o

^ This. I tried to use words like “I think” “personally” “IMO” as much in that post as I could without coming across as obnoxious because it is 100% preference. I’m sure there are people out there that love YYF colourways, and that’s awesome, I’m not here to convince otherwise. I just like, as you mentioned, to give reasons and examples for my opinion rather than just “I don’t like a lot of YYF splashes”.

I agree with Totalartist about the individual patterns as well. My Puffin has almost no splash at all in one of the cups and loads in the other, but what can you do eh?

1 Like

I’m glad we have options.

Personally, I prefer simplicity whenever possible. Given a choice between solid or a colorway, most of the time I would choose the solid. That’s just what I like.

Yup, variety is the spice of life and in yoyos we have plenty of spice!

As many misses as YYF has had for me personally as of late, TA posted two that YYF hit a home run with me as well, those being the Ain’t Nothin’ H.O.T. and Galaxy Proton.