Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

I think this might be because the inner aluminum ring covering the brass is not necessary to maintain the structural integrity of the yoyo so it can go thinner without risk of breaking. But someone more experienced should chime in. @MarkD @hobbygod

No I’m referring to the main body. You can see a part of the wall is very thin.

I see. I’m not sure then. I assume just an experienced machinist knows then.

Yeah - you can get away with this in some locations, on some parts. The guidelines for minimum thickness is only a heuristic and will fall apart under more detailed analysis of a specific part.

Here’s part of the Exia rim - the thinnest part is about 1.3mm, between the hidden corner of the weight ring and the outer profile of the yoyo. (see the light blue line segment). If I allowed a thinner part here, the weight ring could be broader and thinner while still being the same weight. A bit more rim weight potential, but not nearly as much as switching to an outer ring design.

3 Likes

Specs:
Width: 48mm
Diameter: 56mm
Half Weight: 32.73gms
Assembled Weight: 68.37gms
MMOI: 16679
Body Material: 6061 Aluminum
Rims: Brass
Axle: M4 x 8mm x 0.7mm
Bearing: Size C
Pads: “Standard” 19mm

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Got closer to my desired shape. It just needs a few more adjustments. I thought I barely had enough space to add the weight ring but it actually forms 1/3rd of the whole body now that I’ve rendered it

6 Likes

This looks very cool! Do you have any specs? Are you going to have this yoyo made for you through FPM or someone similar?

I would say at the area where the rim meets the yoyo have a fillet of around 0.25mm on both the ring and the body this will make the render look better, and I have been told it makes it easier to catch and easier to press fit.

Yep, those are some of the adjustments I’m doing along with fine-tuning the gap width. I had my fair share of experiences throwing slightly dislodged bimetals that were not properly filleted and I wouldn’t wish them upon anyone.

As for the manufacturer, I’ll have to ask a couple of friends if they have any recommendations as they have more contacts and decades of experience doing this, but I do remember FPM giving me a good price for a small quantity order a while back

Do you have any specs? FPM for a bimetal of aluminum and stainless steel should be around $450 and shipping should be around $50-$80 for a quantity of 5 yo-yos.

Specs:
Diameter: 40mm
Half Weight: 32.96gms
Assembled Weight: 68.73gms
MMOI: 10281
Body Material: 7068 Aluminum
Rim Material: Platinum

Thoughts anyone?

4 Likes

Reminds me of a minitee. Bimetal Minitee.

1 Like

This would be a very expensive yo-yo :joy:

2 Likes

I bet you some collector out there would still buy it though.

1 Like

Probably, it would definitely be super cool

1 Like

platinum? damnnn. id totally buy one if i had funds for it

1 Like

Specs:
Diameter: 56mm
Half Weight: 31.54gms
Assembled Weight: 66gms
MMOI: 16651
Body Material: 7075 Aluminum
Ring Material: 303 Stainless Steel
Plastic Ring Material: Polycarbonate

Thoughts/Helpful Criticism?

3 Likes

oh wow the polycarbonate pops really nicely!

2 Likes

Specs:
Diameter: 55.5mm
Assembled Weight: 66.65gms
MMOI: 17029
Hub Area Material: 7068 Aluminum
Main Body Material: PC
Rim Material: 303 Stainless Steel
Pads “Standard” 19mm

Thoughts anyone?

7 Likes

Honestly a hybrid usually gets me so that one might be a winner

1 Like

That would probably be crazy powerful. Has there ever been a hybrid with steel rims that chunky? Most use Al, and the Iceburg only has very thin SS rims.

1 Like