Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

how do i use it?

+
Youtube
+
Practice

CAD is mostly a self taught thing unless you pay for a course.

1 Like

1 Like

can someone help fix my design to these specs
53mm width

Size c bearing

Standard response

66g weight

1a competition yoyo

Diameter 56mm

Angular design

bimetal

I recommend watching this series:

or this series:

Onshape is a good tool to use to design yo-yos. It is what I use. I use fusion 360 to render them.

1 Like

I found the best way to learn was trying to recreate some of the throws you own in CAD. After that try and sketch out what you want on paper, then move to trying to create something. It is not always an easy process to learn a new skill but I am sure you will be much happier with the end result if it something you have created largely on your own.

can someone help with the design

What do you want help with?

Try to design the bearing seat first

2 Likes

Let me share one!
The idea was to design a durable, high performance inner ring bimetal with rounded edges that are comfortable to catch and hold in the hand. The profile is inspired by the r type while the cup is inspired by the edge 2022. The general shape is also somewhat based on the exia.

55.0mm diameter
48.5mm width
4.5mm gap width
around 66g
7000 series aluminum (I have no idea what exactly are different between 7068 and 7075, and why different manufacturers prefer one over the other)
I couldn’t be bothered to figure out the exact measurements for the axle hole but I left enough room to fit a 10mm axle in there.

8 Likes

Looks like a nice yo-yo! 7068 is slightly stronger than 7075 and you can achieve thinner wall thickness.

Are there any properties of 7075 that are superior to 7068? There are companies like yoyorecreation that use 7075 almost exclusively, so surely it has some advantages.

Cheaper I think. 7075 is a lot more commonly used than 7068. I might be wrong on that though.

2 Likes

Yeah that would make the most sense.

Here’s another design I was experimenting with. Aluminum body with plastic (POM) walls and response pad area. This type of construction is quite rare and I only know of 2 yoyos that use it. It allows for the implementation of very deep fingerspin cups without sacrificing too much rim weight (MOI is close to 30k at around 65g). I think the plastic part can be made quite thin because it doesn’t contribute to the structural integrity of the whole yoyo, but I’m not sure exactly how far I can push it.

10 Likes

This is an interesting idea. Is there enough room for the axle in there? Could you tell me the specs?

I’m pretty sure there’s enough space for the axle, but even if there isn’t, I can easily add a bit of material without changing the design too much.

55mm diameter
46.5mm width
4.5mm gap width
a bit over 65g
around 29k MOI
7068 aluminum with 1.2mm minimum thickness
I made the POM 2mm thick but I’m completely guessing on that

1 Like

I think that POM minimum wall thickness is 2.5 to 2mm? Don’t quote me on that. 7068 Aluminum can get down to 0.8 mm wall thickness I believe.

In this design the plastic part doesn’t contribute to the structure of the yoyo. For example if you bang the yoyo into the ground there won’t be any stress on it, so I think it can be made thinner than the usual recommended minimum wall thickness. Honestly the exact measurements don’t really matter at this point because I would have to talk to a machinist to figure out the precise material properties.

This looks really neat. No idea if it’s feasible or not but I like it

1 Like