53.00826 mm width

66.4347714427g

Bimetal

6061 aluminum

400 series stainless steel

2 Likes

congrats! keep it up

This looks lovely, nice work!

My only recommendation is to add a flat stop here (red squares) so that the “caps” can be pressed in fully to the set depth. Otherwise you’d likely have a pretty variable gap width after assembly.

4 Likes

do you like it?

The steel ring needs two flat sections to hold it on, one completely horizontal to hold the press fit, and one completely vertical to act as a stop when it’s pressed on.

Make sure all the parts have at least a minimum thickness for machinability as well - for aluminum alloys you’d typically have 1.0 mm to 1.6mm.

2 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

Like this:

That makes sense. How thin do you think the plastic part can be made?

fixed it

what cad do you use?

I use Onshape. Make sure to add fillets to all those sharp corners so they wouldn’t cut someone. Also make sure everything is fully constrained. You shouldn’t be able to click on a point and drag it around. It should look like this:

1 Like

Or make a finger laceration throw. Always an option I guess

1 Like

I would suggest you watch the videos AtomicChessGuy sent you earlier. You’ll save a bunch of time rather than tweaking the design, asking for feedback and getting told the fundamentals again from these videos.

1 Like

Specs:
Width: 48mm
Diameter: 56mm
Half Weight: 30.014gms
Assembled Weight: 62.929gms
MMOI: 14776
Axle: M4 x 8mm x 0.7
Bearing: Size C

Thoughts/Criticism?

1 Like

If the string gets caught in one of the grooves, the yo-yo stops spinning, right?

3 Likes

I’m actually not sure. I think what would happen is that the string would land in a groove and begin to tilt the yoyo off axis but I don’t know anything for certain. Might be a fun yoyo to play with or it might be completely terrible.

1 Like

It looks cool, but I would wait for reviews before buying one like it

2 Likes

moreover, those grooves would be difficult to machine

1 Like

It might be ok with Dynames-like grooves.

1 Like

What are Dynames-like grooves? I know the Dynames yoyo but it doesn’t have large grooves taken out of it does it?