Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

It surprises me every time I have a session with it. Such a chill yoyo. It even hits that ASMR button for me; when I do an extra snappy bind, the noise it makes is this delightfully hollow-crispy snap!

Good times. Gooood times

4 Likes

Love most of them.
Some don’t work.
Some are too light on the string.
Some turn to quick on the string.
But I really appriciate your works dude.

5 Likes

I retract my statement that response bumps kill the feel of a yoyo. That isn’t necessarily true. It’s much more about the overall design.

I do feel the response bumps in your design are a bit too aggressive, though.

2 Likes

Who? What?

1 Like

Yeah, no doubt. Thanks for all the feedback, it’s helping me to refine my design thoughts.

1 Like

does anyone know how bi-metals are made, in terms of how the metals are bonded together?

3 Likes

Press fit
Edit: my guess would be .005 over for the rings would be ideal

5 Likes

IMG_20181013_133907

IMG_20181013_133924

we’ve got more colors now!

more updates on instagram
https://www.instagram.com/e._.squared/

5 Likes

Great!

1 Like

Wow great. Well designed.

3 Likes

The middle one is inspired from bell.

2 Likes

Do you have a photo of inside the cup?

2 Likes

IMG_20181217_073333

6 Likes

Hey Mark! Do these guts work for size C bearings?

2 Likes

They do! Feel free to use them!

3 Likes

Just curious, what CAD software does everyone use that is best for yo-yo design. I’m looking for something free and easy to use for someone just wanting to try it out. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks! Got confused because the file is named “Yoyo D Bearing” :stuck_out_tongue:
One more thing: given that I am a total noob and just now started going down this rabbit hole, if I were to adapt these guts to a 10mm axle, I just need to increase the hole to the desired 4.92mm (as per Zach’s video), right?

3 Likes

I may have uploaded the wrong one by accident - here’s one for C: Fusion

I’m using Fusion 360. It has plenty of online tutorials to get you through the basics - drawing lines & circular arcs, rotating around an axis to create a 3d body, applying materials and appearances, mirroring bodies, and rendering.

4 Likes

A group of portland throwers designed their own yoyo recently and had a small run made for their yoyo club to try out:

Love seeing this sort of thing pop up!

13 Likes

Yeah I bought one when I saw they were available. Love the ano. (Hasn’t arrived yet though.)

7 Likes