Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

I’ll post more later, but do all your work in 2d sketch mode and use the revolve tool to see what it will look like and check the weight for you whatever aluminum alloy you choose.

Start out with a bunch of practice designs, try copying yoyos you like to see how their design elements come into play.

3 Likes

Is there anywhere that has just the guts already made in a 2d sketch, so that I don’t have to draw all of them? how did you start making each of those designs? because I saw that they look functional and I was wondering if you had to draw the tiny response area and shafts for each of them?

2 Likes

Here’s a downloadable Fusion360 file for the guts: https://a360.co/2Qjf2Qz

And here’s what it should look like in the editor:

Fusion360

Right-click on any of the lines and “Edit Sketch” before you make changes, then “Finish Sketch” when you’re done.

I’d recommend watching the series of videos by Zach Lerner to find out where these measurements come from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RmFeVW3wSk

8 Likes

Thank you so much, that was a HUGE help. And I have watched every video in that series at least twice.

2 Likes

Hey Mark, I think that sketch of the guts doesn’t really have a gap? And the width+depth of the bearing air groove and the response are the same? I haven’t done nearly as much designing as you have so you’re more of an expert than me, but thats just what I’m seeing, and I want to make sure we don’t accidentally mis-teach any newbies :joy:

2 Likes

These are the same guts I used for the diffraction, which has a 4.66mm gap.

Here’s a sketch showing where the bearing fits (magenta), and the axle (black) and pads (green)

3 Likes

What depth are you using on the response groove?

1 Like

1.2mm off the top of my head. FPM told me the size to use for their in-house response pads.

1 Like

Some recent designs. Just spending lots of time practicing things.

This one is an oversized (60mm x 47mm) bimetal with extreme rim-weight while totaling only 64.9g. Came about by the idea of “one throw” routines and what a yoyo that is designed specifically for them might look like.

Yoyo_C_Bearing_2018-Nov-08_03-29-28PM-000_CustomizedView4133700027 Yoyo_C_Bearing_2018-Nov-08_03-29-36PM-000_CustomizedView14877549690

This is an undersized (52.6mm x 40mm) outer-ring bimetal where I was experimenting with D-sized bearings. 63.26g. Haven’t messed with the pads or gap yet, need to do some research on those.

Yoyo_D_Bearing_2018-Nov-11_10-22-51PM-000_CustomizedView2447462817 Yoyo_D_Bearing_2018-Nov-11_10-22-43PM-000_CustomizedView11379608011

And this is me getting jealous of the Edge Monster. 60mm wide. Only 64g.

UNIT2
UNIT

9 Likes

those bimetals look clean

also, your jealousy creation of the monster looks like the definition of the hourglass shape. call it the monsters nemesis or something lmao

3 Likes

Thanks! One of the small touches I added for rendering was creating tiny fillets in the area where the two materials meet, which is more real-to-life and also looks better in the software.

Oh man, I could round it out and make it look like an actual hourglass.

2 Likes

The first bimetal would have a very nice play feel.

1 Like

I have a real distaste for yoyos with a bump out from the response before the wall.

2 Likes

And these all have really extreme bumps! It’s like brutalism for yo-yos. What do you think of “response moats” like what most A-RT yoyos have?

1 Like

I think the word they use is “Schmoove rings”

3 Likes

That’s fine, but I prefer a nice open catch zone without any response bumps. Response bumps absolutely murder the play feel of a yoyo.

3 Likes

There a more a few exceptions though, but it depends on how aggressive the bump is and the overall shape of the yoyo.

The Onedrop Markmont Classic is one of those exceptions.

3 Likes

I was wondering… lol. I think it works really well with the MMC because the walls are so high.

1 Like

Yep, the MMC it a beauty. I have some wide V shape yoyos with the response bump and they feel really awful to use. The do however, perform really well.

2 Likes

Yeah, the MMC is great. Every time I use it it’s better than the last time.

I have a lot to think about re: response bumps, now.

2 Likes