Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

received_351682658936395

10 Likes

received_187375475485208

Now with the engraving. Getting shipped out today, hope to have them before November!

9 Likes

Late to the party here but i just saw the specs. I liked the shape but after looking at the specs, it seems like it would be similar to the yyf primo but a little more organic. yes, no?

1 Like

Looks gorgeous!

2 Likes

Never played the primo. Could be. Aren’t all yoyos alike though? :joy:

4 Likes

They sure are. Everytime I make another rendering I end up learning about 3-4 production yo-yos that I haven’t seen before. Big downside to missing 20 years of yo-yo evolution - I only really know about current models and things that have a strong history and still get mentioned today (like the peak or ti-walker).

2 Likes

not related that much, but if i ever am able to make my own jo, i could use pixel calculations to copy some old a-rts.image

2 Likes

Why would you want to copy someone else when you can make your own?

5 Likes

It’s useful (as practice) to make CAD files for existing designs, to better learn about their design features and how they affect the physical properties of the yo-yo.

Anyone thinking they can get a cheap copy made this way is mistaken, though. And even if they could, they shouldn’t. Make your own cool take on an o-shape instead!

3 Likes

Finally got a chance to take my own photos of these.

SAM_3468

Really happy with how they turned out so far. They turn into a lilac color when spinning!

I probably could have pushed the width a bit, but they’re at a really comfortable point, and it’s at least wide enough to do really long finger grinds (sort of like how the magpie is). The “fingerspin” area could have used a smaller inner circle. It’s a bit too broad to lock-in the finger, so it sort of jiggles around like how a compass or shutter spins. I might revisit this if I do a 2nd design someday.

Someone pointed out to me how it’s similar to an Interlagos. It’s true! The design for this did start before the Interlagos, though I did take the cut in the profile from it. The Diffraction also isn’t as heavy (or rim-weighted) as the Interlagos, and it’s wider, as well.

I’ll have more thoughts after I have more time with them.

Here’s the whole gang:

2018-10-29%2014_53_17-Photo%20-%20Google%20Photos

12 Likes

It came out suuuper nice looking! Congrats!!

3 Likes

real cool! would you ever sell a batch of those?

1 Like

Wow, those look incredible. Congratulations man. I don’t have any kids myself but if those showed up on my doorstep after I designed them start to finish I’d feel like I did!

2 Likes

Hmmm… No. Those ‘kids’ won’t wake up throughout the night and refuse to eat their dinner.

6 Likes

Sorry bro. Not all of us are fortunate

3 Likes

That was meant to be jovial.

Sorry if it wasn’t!

5 Likes

Maybe someday! I intended this as a one-and-done deal, and I’ll probably make different yo-yos in the future rather than re-tread this design. I just made a post about my “company” here: Mk1 Yoyos!

Thanks for the feedback on the engraving :wink:

Haha. My kids are mostly over the middle-of-the-night wake ups these days.

3 Likes

For fun, here are almost all of the practice designs I made while I was learning Yo-yo CAD.

Many of these are jokes or practice clones of existing yo-yos so I could try to figure out how their design affected the moment of inertia. None of them except the Diffraction (bottom row 2nd from left) has seen the light of day and I haven’t been hired by any chapstick companies to make yo-yo designs.

CAD-Practice

8 Likes

Hey, I just downloaded Fusion 360, and I was wondering if you would tell me your design process because I don’t understand the videos on designing a yoyo in fusion 360 at all.

3 Likes

V14 looks like a wilder Edge Beyond lol

2 Likes