Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

Hi Mark! First time commenting here. Thanks a lot for sharing your resources, and I have some questions regarding this hub design.

1. How long is the axle on this yoyo? On the drawing it looks like close to 14mm but it looks shorter in the product photos?
  2. Are there “gear teeth” cut into the step of the hub? On the POM yoyos I’ve taken apart, I’ve noticed they all had the star burst design that bites into the plastic, which I’m assuming helps the hub stay in place.
2 Likes

The tangent uses a 12mm axle. There’s room in there to swap to a slim C bearing without changing the axle.

The hub does have teeth cut into it, this is not modeled, but I spoke with the machinist about it before manufacturing anything. Without these the hub can/will slip.

2 Likes

I’ve never experienced any issue personally with the wall angle being too steep, but I know at least one instance where that’s been a minor problem. See here.

1 Like

I see, thanks!

I am designing an all steel yoyo. Does anyone know how thin the walls can be for steel?

1 Like

Others go thinner than me but the absolute thinnest I’ve ever gone is .75mm, with the majority of the yoyo being .8mm

2 Likes

What type steel do you use for bimetals and steel yoyos. A4, Stainless, Carbon, Hardened?

Stainless

But the problem is:
I’ve been using A4 Stainless but I don’t know if that is right.

303 Stainless (8.0 g/mm^3)

2 Likes

Thanks.
After looking at the Deduction and it’s intentionally unforgiving play, it reminded me of other throws but I couldn’t remember which and I didn’t want to start any arguments.
In the video you linked the audible clipping as the string path slows on the rim then jumps into the gap seems like wasted energy at best.

I prefer the feel of an organic drop into the gap, even if that’s a small radius inside another wall shape

I saw this on the FPM site. I have been going with a wall thickness of 1 mm should I be going with 1.2mm?

If you are manufacturing through FPM they will push back on a thickness less than 1.2mm, especially if you are a new designer.

1 Like

Oh, okay thanks. I will change my designs. How do you know when you can go thinner than 1.2mm?

Made a weird organic shape.

Specs:
Width: 45mm
Diameter: 54mm
Weight: 32g
MMOI: 14361

Thoughts anyone?

2 Likes

this looks bumpy… Might be fun but feels kind of like that christmas tree yoyo RCS dropped a while back.

ill note that looks neat i would get one…

1 Like

Is 4.6mm too extreme for gap width?

No!!!

3 Likes

I’m getting confused with the gap width. What offset is required to make a gap of around 4.6-4.675mm?
Is this right:

You should be setting the gap width as a driving dimension so that you can specify it directly.